Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get farther out with my plow lights , they are not bright enough for me.
Can I put a bulb in that will not melt the housing?
This is a blizzard plow, lights

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Check that your ground is good, there have been complaints on the newer set ups with the pin mounted light tower of dim lights due to poor grounding. You may have to install a bolt to the tower or run a ground strap from the tower to the truck.

Can't help you with the bulb question.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We just did this for a customer. Silvania Silverstreak headlights. They make a direct bolt in lamp that is 33-40% more candlepower than stock. Forgot the number, but take your bulb into the store and match it up. 3 prongs on back (high, low, ground) shaped like a triangle. I think stock #s are H6367??

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
DO NOT use the Sylvania Silverstars as a plow lamp.They will not last.Due to the extremely high filament temps,they are very brittle,and the plow will beat them to death in no time.They don't even last that long in most cars.

If you want a good lamp upgrade,get a set of HO or HV sealed beams.If you plow uses a 4666,then ask for a 4666HO or 4666HV.There is a big difference in light output,and they are rated for long life as well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Chris whats the difference between the 4666HO and the 4666HV? Do most plows use a 4666 bulb? I would love having a little more light up front.

Bob :grinz :grinz

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The HO's and HV's are pretty much the same,just different mfg have different names.I think GE uses HO,and the Sylvania and other are HV.

I'm pretty sure most of the plow lamps now are 4666,the little ones with the one funny prong.I usually change the connector,and run the regular style headlamps,with the normal prongs,which are a 4656 I think.Easier and cheaper to get bulbs,the 4666's aren't common here.

Don't hold me to those numbers,as I never can remember them all the time.I usually need to go check the book.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Sylvania also makes a HID (High Intensity Discharge) kit that will work. We've had it on for two seasons and absolutley love it. Much more light, much less electric draw. A bit pricey, but it;s cheaper than destroying something. (4656 kit attached without modification other than hiding the transformers in the light housings)

·
Registered
93 Posts
We all know how bad the lights are on our Ford Superdutys from the factory due to some voltage loss as another member here demonstrated with actual numbers. The question I pose is whether that makes our plow lights on these trucks that much worse also? I believe it does as the plow lights are hooked into the headlight harness but just seeing what others thought?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Even after changing the plow lights on my MVP on the F-450 to the Xtra Vision I still notied them to be dim until I upgraded to the high out Alt. Now they are still kinda dull at idel but as soon as you put some RPMs to them they get bright quick. I even noticed the change just in the dash lights too they seem so dim at idle.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Chris,
I recently installed a pair of Sylvania SilverStar headlamps in my wife's Honda . The difference is amazing, much better than the stock bulbs . I didnt realize or read that longevity will be an issue ?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I would assume due to the high filament temps that they would burn out quicker,and be a little more fragile.I don't know the exact reason why,but they do not seem to last as long as a regular halogen bulb.Seems that the added vibration from a plow is making them burn out even quicker.

If you add a set of headlamp relays,it will make both the truck lights,and plow lights much brighter.Not sure why the plow manufacturers don't do them this way in the first place,instead of feeding everything through the headlamp switch and small factory wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts