Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a full size lightbar and am thinking about mounting it on a backrack. The backrack has an accessory bracket to mount a lightbar, has anybody used these and if so how secure are they? Also if anybody has a picture that they could post would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have it all it.It's just an L bracket and another piece of flat stock that is mounted on the other side of the back rack bar with 2 bolts .You could really mack your own or weld somthing better Now that I know what they are I would do something different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What lightbar did you choose?

·
Registered
445 Posts
When you are finish installing the lightbar I'd love to see a pic of it. I am considering doing something similar.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cat, that's what it looked like to me, just an L bracket. I'll have to come up with something. Thanks

Mac, thanks for the pic. Here is a pic of the lightbar, I ordered it with amber all around though, and front and rear takedown. I'll post a pic when it's all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Those tomar bars are nice melrose police and a tow co in wakefield have them real bright at night. Just can't seam to find a great deal on them like my whelen bar.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
mac - you need to get those rear facing lights turned so they are horizontal.The light pattern must be terrible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I see them on a lot of tow trucks down this way. They look real sharp, plus I like the fact that they have the traffic director built into the rear strobes.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
do you have to use there switches due to having the traffic director in the back? Now is that standared with all there lights or an option?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I ordered it, I asked them if I need a special switch panel. They said no, only enough switches to handle the amount of options I wanted to use. As far as I know, I know it is standard with the 48" bar and probably with all the bars that it is on but I don't know at what size bar it starts and stops. They have from a 17" to a 96" bar.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
old subject

Can you ride around on the street with the hideways and lightbars blazing.?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have clear hide-aways in my headlights that are just for show. Never use them or I might as well drive myself to the police station. Clear strobes in Ma. are all illegal I believe but I have them in my reverse lights and if I was plowing I wouldn't be bothered around here. I'll use my lightbar whenever necessary, but I wouldn't just drive around with it on.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have driven around with all my lights on clear in the front and clear in the red brake light and have gone by cops in my tiown never been pulled over.But I usually only put the rear on because of the bounce back from the plow with the front.But the clear in the front in a crowded parking lot are great for letting some idiotes know you are pushing snow :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, I would hope it wouldn't be as much of a problem plowing with clear strobes. But to drive around in nice weather with them going, impersonating a police officer is what I think they will get you for. I'll wait till I'm pushing some snow to take my chances. Also I don't think it would be as much of a problem with the locals, than it would be with state. Especially the truck team, those are some serious guys. :)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
What I meant was I use them when plowing not when it's a regular day.The only time I ever have them on other than that is if i'm working in the middle of the road or something .I have never drove down the road in good weather/summer with them on really all my strobes get used only in the winter. Sorry If I said it the wrong way .

·
Registered
101 Posts
chayesf250

I have a friend that had his Whelen Edge bar mounted on his Backrack using the accessory brackets. The bar ended up WAY above his roofline (F-250 SD) and looked rediculous. I made him a couple of brackets that brought the underside of the bar right to the top angle of the two main tubular uprights. I can probably get some pics if you are interested.......

Also, the Backrack brackets are just a couple pieces of flatbar bent at a 90. I think he paid around $50 for them......quite a bit IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
wyldman

The light pattern is perfect. Those lights are from a John Deere tractor. I'll take a pic. of them in action at night some time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cat, no need to be sorry. I was agreeing with you, I think it came out the wrong way.

Nben, if you could get a pic, that would be great. I like to have things looking good myself. Yeah, that's what I saw those accessory brackets for, $49.99. Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts