Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if any one from new york can tell me if municipalities in new york by law are supposed to have trucks lettered.im trying to get my boss to have our trucks lettered.thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmm I know this. Town I work for letters trucks up so EVERYBODY knows who we are wherever we go. Town I live in doesnt letter trucks. If you have a good eye you can spot them in wrong places but its hard to do.:wink

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
just wondering if any one from new york can tell me if municipalities in new york by law are supposed to have trucks lettered.im trying to get my boss to have our trucks lettered.thanks
By DOT law the answer is NO, bcause they are not for hire. By State law again the answer is NO (at least none showing that are obvious or it is buried in some comptroller requirements).

I did speak with 3 town supevisors and got these responses.

1. Some towns require it in there charter or laws that equipment purchased with tax payers funds be identified as to the town of owneship in case of use at a mutual aid response so that the equipment can be easily identified (I guess thats why they even have there backhoes/bulldozers identified with lettering)

2. Towns usually require it to assure that town owned equipment is not used for personal use. That way Town owned equipment is easily identified.

3. It identifies to law enforcement that they are municipal vehicles and are under municipal ownership and control and not private vehicles. Thats why the towns name must be removed if the item is sold.

Thats the best i can come up with. It seems like most towns, villages and counties do it to assure that there is no hanky panky with tax payer owned equipment and to identify that equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts