Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while going through some stuff on my computer I came across this pic, notice today would have been Eddie Imel's 50'th birthday. While I never knew the man or do I know where Red Mountain Pass is lets all remember to always try to stay safe and on our toes at all time. We sometimes take for granted how dangerous our job really is.

Bob :)

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Kinda gives you a solem feeling and brings reality into play when you realize how dangerous our job COULD be. :salute

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
That is a very touching headstone. Just goes to show how serious a job it is to plow snow. Shows just how dangerous it can be when guys like us put ourselves out in the worst of the elements to keep things clear for the general public.

On another note. That Head Stone is amazing. Theres a place up in Barre Vermont called the rock of ages where most all of the granite used in head stones and monuments is mined. And they have a cemetary up there filled with amazing headstones just like this one. They have sculptured truck stones, race cars, boats, fountains. Its amazing what they do with granite now a days.

Jay

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had no idea what you were talking about so I did a search and found something you guys might like.

Riverside Slide
(C.W. McCall, Bill Fries, Chip Davis)

One coal-black night of a Colorado winter
It snowed on Red Mountain Pass
We warned ev'rybody that the Slide was runnin'
An' 5-5-Oh was a mess
But outta the plowshed, south a' town
Come a blade with a flashin' blue light
We told that boy: "Whatever you do,
Beware of the Riverslide Slide."

Now that plow-jockey knew he had a job to do
Been dodgin' them slides for years
But we all knew, deep down inside,
He was livin' with a thing called fear
'Cause you don't mess around with an avalanche, son
A lotta men tried, and died
Yeah, you get them plows past Bear Creek Falls,
You lookin' at the Riverside Slide

Now all a' us folks around Ouray County
Seen a lotta them cold, black nights
When the only thing movin' is a big ol' plow
Flashin' them weird blue lights
You drive them snowplows around these parts
You gotta have a real thick hide
'Cause ya never quite know what time a' the night
You gonna die in the Riverside Slide

Well, it snowed six feet on the mountain that night
An' we knew what was comin' on down
An' so did the boy an' his flashin' blue light
When he rolled that blade outta town
Well, he took that plow up 5-5-Oh
An' he felt it lean to one side
An' before he knew it, he was buried alive
At the bottom of the Riverside Slide

Yeah, all a' us folks around Ouray County
Seen a lotta them cold, black nights
When the only thing movin' is a big ol' plow
Flashin' them weird blue lights
We found the boy in the early spring
Still settin', the plow on its side
Yeah, ya never quite know what time a' the night
You gonna die in the Riverside Slide

·
Registered
119 Posts

In real life, the threat of an avalanche is present to anyone who ventures onto U.S. Highway 550 between Durango and Ouray, Colorado. Since 1877, at least 65 people — mostly miners — have died in avalanches in Ouray County, six of those deaths having occured in the infamous East Riverside slide area about four miles south of Ouray in Red Mountain Pass.

Three plow drivers have died in the Riverside Slide: Robert Miller, on March 2, 1970; Terry Kishbaugh, on February 10, 1978; and the last was Eddie Imel on March 5, 1992. Miller's death was the inspiration for C.W.'s song about the slide.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Peter, thats an interesting story. I figured it was out west somewhere.

Bob :D :D :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife and I stopped and looked at that monument when we were on vacation. Right next to it there is a monunment for a preacher and his family that crossed the mountain every Sunday for church. They lost their lives in a snow storm also.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Who sings that song? Id like to hear it. To the men who gave their lives :salute
Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Red Mountain pass is between Silverton and Ouray Colorado. I have driven that pass many times but never never during or right after a snowstorm. Robert Miller died the year before I moved to Durango. There were lots of stories about how the slide swept him off the pass and filled his truck packed hard. The angles are steep and the wind creates slabs that slide periodically. They shoot them with howitzers so they slide under "controlled" circumstances. I drove the first part of US 550 from Durango to just outside of Silverton several times each week to work at the ski area. 3 years later I started my snowplowing business in Durango. The monument went up a few years ago. Nice to remember some really great men that gave their lives in service to others.
The song is by CW McCall and its on the same album as "Wolf Creek Pass". Another memorable tribute to a Colorado pass.

plowing!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Crafty- that statement is oh so true, I just wish that more peope had your attitude. Unfortunately too many people have the attitude of " Hooray for me! And screw everyone else!" I usually will honk and wave at those people as I see them in the ditch after they flew past me in a storm and hit those white out conditions. Of course the Human being in me(and the EMT) won't let me do that until I make sure nobody got hurt in their little incident- then I can laugh all I want.

Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts