Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new lesco spreader, deflector, extendor for the top, rain cover, spent some significant money on all this. First time we used it it keep clogging up, had to bang it on the ground every few steps to keep the ice melt flowing. Just using simple baged ice melt, fairly small particles but this is not acceptable for something that cost hundreds of dollars. Any one else have this experience with the a newer lesco spreader. Friend of mine has several old ones and no problems with them in this way.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doing that already,

I was running it full open and it was dry, but still clogged, the disturbulator on the bottom of the hoppery is rather whippy, I am not sure if that is why or not , most spreaders twirl this one just moves forward and back a inch or so to clear the feed holes.

· Registered
413 Posts
Lesco spreaders are good for fertilizer - not so good for ice melting products. I'm also not sure I'd want to use a Lesco spreader for ice melt that I intend on using for fertilizing apps during the green season. Go with Agri-Fab as Chuck suggested or something like the Salt Dogg push spreader from Buyers. Shindaiwaa (spelling?) also makes a nice push spreader for ice melt.

Any product that is treated and has moisture in the material (i.e. Magic Salt) will bind up in the spreaders unless they have a very open slot that lets the material flow. The drier the product the better. Manufactured product (pellets) will flow more easily than will rock salt due to the various sizes and ability for the salt to settle/compact.

· Registered
3 Posts
I,ve run rock salt through this spreader and other ice melts and had no problems.If the salt is moist it's not going to flow.Try using the LescoMelt product and leave the setting on 16-18.Also, is the rod out of adj. and is there another tab on the bottom of the outlet side that is shut.I've had a few other spreaders and the Lesco has been flawless for me.

Tom

· Registered
126 Posts
Yes, i would agree. You need the agrifab or the earthway 2130. Both can have the sidewalk deflectors on them. It just makes it easy to spread anything. Plus you can spread Penn-Mulch very easy as well if you are a landscaper..Tim

· Registered
56 Posts
Lesco Ice melt spreader

Lesco makes a spreader specifically for salt and Ice melt. It is called a hd-1 and its about 150.00 dollars. It is white and green and comes with a cover deflection shield and screen. Did you buy the 80lbs spreader? it should have come with a screen to help alleviate"some" of the clogging. If you ran anything through that spreader chances are unless you have an awesome dealer that they are going to tell you the salt was wet or condensation from not putting on the cover tight or something to that nature. I use both the hd-1 and the 80lb and have never had a clogging problem unless moisture gets in the hopper. But even then the screen weeds out the clumps and lets the rest free flow. The screen is a life saver for that reason alone. Hope I helped.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow Up on Clogging Lesco Spreader

As I said in a previous post the hopper was all the way open, the product was dry, right out of the bag, it was not snowing or raining so everything seemed dry, but it just kept clogging up bag after bag. The second storm I used the spreader it worked perfectly, I took the upper screen off so the total weight of the product was bearing down on the feeder holes. I can not say that is what helped or if maybe I had some damp product the first time but anyway it worked fine. I'll have to try it again and if it is working fine I will put the screen back in and see if it changes anything.

Thank you for your suggestions I will investigate the other spreaders you have mentioned as my second spreader purchase.

· Registered
5 Posts
Like Chuck said, go with an Agri-Fab or an Earthway that has an agitator that spins or if you want to spend big bucks buy the salt dogg or shindiawa. We too have Lesco spreaders and they are mediocre to spread salt with in comparison.

· Registered
2 Posts
Follow Up on Clogging Lesco Spreader As I said in a previous post the hopper was all the way open, the product was dry, right out of the bag, it was not snowing or raining so everything seemed dry, but it just kept clogging up bag after bag. The second storm I used the spreader it worked perfectly, I took the upper screen off so the total weight of the product was bearing down on the feeder holes. I can not say that is what helped or if maybe I had some damp product the first time but anyway it worked fine. I'll have to try it again and if it is working fine I will put the screen back in and see if it changes anything. Thank you for your suggestions I will investigate the other spreaders you have mentioned as my second spreader purchase.
I have the same spreader and the same issue. Super frustrating having spent that much money on a POS ice melt spreader. Also the pin roll that engages the gear for the agitator rusted out on both that spreader and my lesco 80lbs fertilizer spreader.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts