Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heater fan in my '03 C5500 doesn't shut off when the key is turned off. I have a blizzard 8611 mounted but the problem didn't start unill several weeks after the plow was installed. Has anybody had similar problems? I wonder if I should take it to the GM dealer or the blizzard dealer. I'm sure it is a simple fix but I'd bet it's going to be hard to track down. I don't relish the thought of it being in the shop for days on end or being charged for service if it was an upfitter fault taken to the GM dealer.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It could be something backfeeding into another circuit,and powering it up with the key off.Try unplugging the plow stuff,or any other added accessories from the fuse box and see if the problem disappears.

If unsure,stop by the Blizzard dealer or upfitter first,and let him know of the problem.He should be able to rule out any of the installed equipment as the cause quite easily.

If it isn't the added accessories,then take it back to the GM dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good plan. I should disconnect the power to the plow at the battery and the one at the fuse box and that should rule out the plow being a problem. Right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

The problem went away on its own, so tracking the cause down became impossible.... until yesterday. When I took the key out the running lights dash lights and binger stayed on and the trailer brake sender had a light staying on to indicate an error.. 5 hours of diagnosis and here is what we found.

When the trailer plug was installed the red charge wire was either pinched or poked. A bit of salt in that wound caused a short that burned through the running light wire and the brake wire. The charge wire then backefed and powered up the dash and brake sender. The plow was feeding of the same line as the brake sender so the plow could also be operated with the key out. I suspect the fan was also on this same keyed power line that was charged by the corroded battery charge line to the trailer. Here is hoping that all the gremlins have been scared away.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Glad to hear you found it.

That's why I never pierce wires with a test light,especially on a plow truck.It will always come back to haunt you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear they have test lights now that will work right through the insulation. I guess the 'pros' that installed my hitch didn't have one of those yet. I am convinced that poking the wire with a test light is what caused this failure.:mad:

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They do have some test leads,and lights that only poke a tiny hole,but they still pierce the wire.

If they do have something like that,it would be awesome for quick repairs.It suck having to tear stuff apart to find a good place to test stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only 'no contact' test lights that I've seen are for secondary ignition voltage and AC voltage. Would be great to have a DC voltage one though. I hate pulling that stuff apart, especially on newer vehicles, I can't believe how many wires there are under the dash on my truck alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts