Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone figure out the lamp out problem on the dash with the 2003-04 Dodges when you put on the high beams?? Brian at Blizzard says they are working with Dodge to come up with a solution. Something in the Dodge wiring, as I understand it. Anyone else with this problem?? It's a 2000 model 810 plow we just transfered over from a 99 Dodge to a 2003 Dodge Diesel. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I just got a call that one I installed is doing it to. Brian is out of town for the week too.

I was told it was intermittent. I imagine its function is to indicated a headlight out? I assume all the lights are working?

I am supposed to go look at the truck later today. My first thought was that it was a loose crimp connection? Geeze and the dodge lights are pain to get out too.

ANY ideas?

Howard

·
Registered
701 Posts
The way the lamp out circuit works (from what I understand) is that it measures the resistance through the light to establish whether or not it is burned out, so maybe the bulbs in the plow lights are a different resistance than what the truck lights are?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just throwing this out there. When I first got my 01, HO, 6sp Dodge, the heaqdlights came on and off, frequently. Brought back to the dealer numerous times. they could get the headlights to dimm or more times go out, with ease, but, couldn't find the problem. It came down to a three way phone call one day between tech at Chrysler, the dealer and Cummins engine. It was determined to disconnect the air inlet heaters. Since then, never had a problem. I can't remember exact words, but, through the electric harness, thsoe heaters cycle on and off even in the summer time. Disconnecting them ended the eratic lights out. Only twice since then, when I'm out plowing 20 plus hours, had I had a hard time starting the truck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i checked the unit before it left the shop, it was doing it. I made the customer aware of it, and talked to Brian at Blizzard. He had heard about the problem before. On the specific truck I worked on, the high beams come on, but are dim like a bad ground, and then the light comes on in the dash. I think it is in the lightbar, as it grounds through there, and the way the new lightbars go in, with the added amperage of the highbeams, I think I'm losing a good ground, and the truck thinks the light is out because as someone eluded to, the differnt resistance. Gonna try grounding the lightbar better after Christmas. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Festerw is on the track. The Dodges computer monitors the voltage and resistance for each of the circuts. The lamp out is caused mostly by the running light circut which can be reduced by a ground wire from the light tower to the truck with a disconnect.

As for a dim headlight bulb......The headlights have there own hight beam, low beam and common wire in the harness. If you have dim on one beam or the high beam indicator stays on you either used the wrong headlight adapter ( 011 or 012 ) are the options, Dodge wired both sides differently (we saw this alot on the 96-99 models ), you wired the relays wrong, or have a loose connection plugging in the adapters or the relays. Start with the adapter, check both sides for the same wiring pattern on the headlight and then check the wiring connections.

Hope this helps. Jerre

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grounded the Light bar. No difference. Grounded the fixture. No Difference. Took a jumper wire direct from the back of the headlight to batt. neg. . With highbeam switch on, lights went from dim to bright. with lowbeams on, lights would not even work!!

:confused:

Things that make you go HHHHUUUUMMMMM

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Promower,

Dodges are common Positive and switched negatively. Lamp out is not caused by the headlights it is caused by the running light/turn signal circut.

Once again, Check the wiring colors on both headlight plugs for the truck and make sure they are the same on both sides. Then make sure the Yellow and Green wires for the Blizzard headlight adapter match the white wires with the stripes. These are the switched wires. If they don't you have the wrong adapter.

Good luck Jerre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.