Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
I wouldn't recommend laminate flooring in a potentially wet area like a kitchen, although, that's what I have in mine. (Wouldn't do it again) It was higher end Pergo, installed 10 years ago, and it has been fine, but it was the glue together type (big pain). Had it in an entry, that didn't fair so well, again due to moisture.

The newer click together stuff is a breeze to install, goes fast, but I don't think the joints are as tight as my glued joints, I was meticulous about clamping during installation and glue set time.
I second that in not recommending it. I have owned my own contracting business for 14 yrs in May. I have seen so many problems with floating floors I won't even let my customers use it in the project.

· Registered
120 Posts
There is a flooring store next to me. I get a lot of old samples and use them for shelves, etc. They sell the laminate, because it is what people want, but they also sell good old fashioned hardwood too. Interesting thing I saw on one line of the samples is that they come pre-glued. You just wipe the edges with a wet rag and slap them together.

My whole house is original 1932 5/4" oak. :D When I took up the sub floor in the kitchen, I found it in there too. Had 1000's of nail holes in it, but it was there. Even found a spot that was the ash chute to the basement that they filled in when they got rid of the wood cooking stove :D

If I was going to do my kitchen floor, I like this new vinyl tile they have next door. Looks like ceramic, and you can even space it and grout it. They are thick! Of course I have no say in what goes on the kitchen floor though....:wink

~Chuck
That 5/4" would be so cool refinished if you haven't already done that. I would do porcelain tiles if I was redoing a kitchen floor not that I don't have a love for wood. I do a lot of custom built-ins in the houses that I build and you just really can't beat it. The nice thing about TRUE sand and finish on site wood floors is in 15 yrs when they start looking bad all you have to do is re-sand and finish for a few hundred bucks. It will look just the same as the first day you put it down. The drawback to wood floors is the finish doesn't handle 80# weimaraners power sliding with their claws dug in to the back door. This is speaking from experience! That is why my next house will have tile through out the main floor other than bedrooms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts