Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im hearing alot about blizzard seems like a good plow maybe the best but thats not the issue.i currently have a 2000 chevy 1500 truck with a meyers plow.

if the pump dies i can jack the plow up in the field and adjust the chains to hold it up then bring to the dealer where they will either fix it right then and there or give a spare pump until mine is all set.

what happens when the blizzard pump craps out no chains to adjust im just curious on what you do im thinking about getting another truck with either a western plow or blizzard.:burnout

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Included with the purchase of your plow is a 1" pin. In the hoist linkage, there are a series of 1" holes that line up when the plow is raised. So if the pump craps out for some reason, you run the plow up on a snow bank like you would any other plow, then slide the pin through the holes to hold the plow in the raised position.

Pretty clever, eh?

·
Registered
34 Posts
The instructions from my dealer was to remove one of the mounting pins and use it in the emrgency transport hole. Those pins are only about 1/2" diameter and the emergency hole matches.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
That would make sense. I never asked. I was frustrated with alot of other things too....

You can travel around without the two mounting pins, I would recomend plowing without them, but alot of times I don't pin it to move it around. Nels from Blizzard drives all over the US without them.

Howard

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I was thinking about this... If you have rammed the plow up the pile, be careful backing out with only one pin..."it might" be enough to get the plow at a hokey angle and not be secure enough to transport.

I guess I should try it out:(

Howard

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Let's see Howard, Here's a quick reason not to plow without them.

Drop the plow, Back up, Leave the plow where it was dropped.

Been there, Done that.

I also move them around without the pins in. You want them in for plowing though.

Jerre

P.S. on the original question. I have not had a pump or motor failure other than 1 customer using the plow as a loader and holding the plow in lift constantly and burning up the motor and Solenoid.

Lifting the plow if the pump/motor die requires a jack, snow pile or some strong friends however almost 300 plows and only 1 motor.

If the solenoid goes bad you can jumper the motor with cables and get the plow to go up. You can use a jack to lift it up or you can use the snow pile method.

I'm lazy I prefer the jumper cables. Much less work.

Jerre

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Jerre,

Great info very impressive. However, more to the point. Can you offer any approx. number as to serivce life behind those 300 plows?? If they were all sold in Nov. Oct. hard to really tell there is not going to be any problems. Would me more impressive if some of those plows were in service for the past couple of years.

I just found a Blizzard dealer about 15 mins from my house after looking for one for the past year. This will greatly change my purchasing choice. I will be looking to put a 810 on the 04 F-350 PSD I will be ordering this summer, and replacing the V plow on the F-450 PSD with a 810 as well. I am very excited about the change and what I have heard from people here at this site whom I consider very creditable (Pelican & PineIsland just to mention two).

Lets hope I will also be able to boast about "getting wide" come next season. Belive me, if they are all what they say they are I will not be affraid to post it, but that coin has two sides. If I feel that becoming a Blizzard owner had left me with the felling like "getting ####ed" is all that happen I will post that too. Looking forward to the former and NOT the latter.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Just replaced the first angle hose on a 4 year old commercial use plow. Guy was commenting on how trouble free it had been.

Last night I did a wing hose repair on a 3 yr old much abused 810. First one on that plow.

We have had some that gave us fits but most of them are trouble free or nearly trouble free after 2,3, or 4 yrs of service. The last 2 years were record snow falls for us. Lots of wet and heavy stuff.

I'm looking forward to performance reports from the 30+ 2003 model 810's running now. Had a couple in for impact damage with cars and buildings but the manhole cover's are still bouncing off of them.

Overall I can say as a dealer I am very happy with them. I fixed 3 meyer aframes yesterday that were just out of warranty. These guys baby there plows in comparison. If they drove them like the guys have been with the Blizzards there life expectancy would not be a whole season.

Just my Op. Jerre

P.S. Get wide or go back inside.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Thanks for your honesty Jerre. Just had the A frame replaced on my 8' Western Pro and I can honestly say I am not that hard on my equipement at all. I would rather spend the extra 10 mins here and there. With that in mind I think Blizzard would do me just fine.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Pelican,

I just wanted to be sure I would be getting into something I can depend on. With the dealer being closer and hearing good things this year I will me more comfortable making the purchasing both from the money spending and money making position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanx alot good of good info came out of that one question im pretty sure my next plow will be a blizzard

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

John D and I both joined the beliver list oh great ones........

Yeah just pin it up, I had to call Blizzard to find out what the extra pin was for.....

I put mine in and cycle the motor a hair to put pressure on it for when it's in storage. Hopefully it will make it harder to steel.

For your truck, you would need like the 780. it can't handle much more weight wise. 750# is pushing it.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Jeff, Just a little update. Some of the PS guys will remember the 911 I made out of an 810 last year. Guys running it on a 97 or 98 Dodge 3500 dually with the V10. Had to replace a motor brush yesterday on it. 3 yrs old with about 700 or so hours of heavy duty plowing on it. Was kinda funny that only 1 brush busted and burnt up.

Then he call's me today saying whenever he uses the plow at Idle, or turns on the fan or his lights at Idle the voltage drops to 8 volts. Get the RPM up to 1500 and it charges fine. Diagnosis his alternator is fried.

Sound familiar Steve?????

Anyway. low voltage causes the plow motor to over work, overheat and crap out.

Lesson here is keep an eye on you alternator output.

Jerre

1 - 16 of 16 Posts