Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did you do to prepair for adding a plow?

I have a '89 Wrangler, I have a Western 6'6" SUV plow on it, but just checking what you did so it can handle it.

With the plow on, it hit's the bump-stops. I only have an inch of down travel before it hits the bump-stop without the plow on it.

I was thinking of adding a 3" lift to it also.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Adding a small amount of lift will help only if you have stiffer spring rates to support the extra weight of the plow.Adding a set of Timbrens (with bumpstop spacers if lifted) will help it deal with the extra weight of the plow as well.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Sounds like your front leaf springs are bent. I saw alote of bent springs when I worked at the dealer. There shoud be more like 2.5'' to 3'' of travel.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do your homework before installing a lift kit. I'm not sure how a Western mounts, but a Fisher won't mount on a lifted Jeep because there are supports behind the springs that connect to the front by going UNDER the axle. When you increase the distance between the frame and the axle, the support hits the axle. (Ask me how I know!!!)
I'm having something fabricated. Your Western may not have this issue -- just thought it was worth mentioning.

The other issue with a lifted Jeep is the potential for your "angle of attack" to be too steep. Again, not necessarily a problem for you, but worth investigating.

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now the back of the A frame is a little lower than up at the plow, I am sure my springs are pretty worn at 200,000 miles.

Someone did catch the bracket, but the western is all infront of the axle, and while mounting the bracket I noticed that "when" I lifted it, the springs would not clear the bracker, so I took the tourch to it and trimmed off what needed to be to make it clear when it gets the lift.

I will probablly get Tinberans, but it still needs the springs replaced, so I was going to kill 2 birds with one stone and buy a lift kit. I was also going to buy the add a sping lift kit (el cheapo) to add more spring tension being the Jeep has a 4.2-6 banger.

My next choice was Old Man Emu, that have different rates available, but they are $1000 vrs the Ruff Country and el cheapo add a leafs for about $400.

I just put on the Posi-Lok cause the vacuum actualor for the 3rd member on the axel was shot, and it had lots of vacuum leaks, and I put on a new Weber 551 carb. Now it's only got what vacuum lines it needs to run the power breaks and vacuum advance.

I guess my senerio might work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, you've probably noticed that stock springs are more expensive than lift springs. (go figure!)

Remember, a 3" lift is 3 inches higher than STOCK hight. If you're on the bump stops now, you're probably 2-3" BELOW stock height. So a 3" lift would put you 5"-6" higher than where you are now -- and that's alot of lift.

If you haven't already, check out www.4wd.com

Good luck.

Jeff Pierce

1 - 6 of 6 Posts