Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it looks like Wed night into Thur many in the NE & Mid Atlantic will get to plow again! Hopefully the current forecasts hold true. Alberta Clipper type storm is supposed to come across the Great Lakes\Ohio Valley area heading east, southeast, according to a few forecasters. It is aiming for DE or NJ basically, so that makes me :grinz These storms don't have a lot of moisture to work with, but if this slows down & keeps at the track they are predicting, it may tap a little Atlantic mositure and dump a 3"-6" swath in the main path, which they are currently saying is near me. This makes me happy because even if the track ends up north or south of the current predictions, my area should still be in a plowable amount area of the system. Do those snow dances!!

NWS even put out Special Weather Statement for our area:

SNOW IS POSSIBLE FOR WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY DUE TO LOW PRESSURE
THAT IS FORECAST TO TRACK ACROSS VIRGINIA WEDNESDAY NIGHT, AND THEN
OFF THE EAST COAST THURSDAY.

TWO THINGS ARE IMPORTANT FOR FORECASTING HOW MUCH SNOW COULD FALL
WITH THIS LOW. THE FIRST IS THE TRACK OF THE LOW. THE SECOND IS HOW
FAST THE LOW CAN PICK UP MOISTURE FROM THE ATLANTIC.

IF THE LOW MOVES AS FORECAST...DELAWARE, NORTHEAST MARYLAND, CENTRAL
AND SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY AND SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA WOULD BE MOST
SUSCEPTIBLE FOR POTENTIALLY HEAVY SNOW. AREAS FARTHER TO THE NORTH
INCLUDING THE POCONOS...LEHIGH VALLEY AND NORTHERN NEW JERSEY WOULD
HAVE LESSER AMOUNTS.

·
Registered
265 Posts
snow

BRL, just saw the same forcast its snowing in the poconos about 1 in. right hope it keep up if we can get 2 more in tonight here i could at least do some drive ways here tom. i hope we get 3-6 in jersey on thur. cause thats where i do my commercial work at ( warren county I will be doing the snow dance for all of us!!!!! WE NEED SNOW!!!! :cash plowing! Campi !!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
:cash :greenange

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's Gary Gray's first stab at it. I'll take 2", especially with the temps dropping to single digits that night & below zero the next night. A plowing & a couple of saltings. Got to do a little spot salt again tonight as we got dusted & sleeted again late this afternoon. :cash :D

http://www.millenniumweather.com/gifs/snowtot.gif

Attachments

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
BITE ME

Don't use up all the snow, send some to those who haven't seen it in a while.................:shades

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey man, we haven't pushed snow either here, for a month to the day I think, if that storm materializes on schedule. When I'm done with it, I'll fire up the blowers & aim the clouds in your direction :p

·
Registered
133 Posts
I need at least 3 inches to make money, I do residential,......................... but I think I will go out for 2 inches anyway.........:burnout :burnout :burnout

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Looks like all we're getting out of that is COLD - - 25F below with wind chill to 50F below during the day Thursday.:eek:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
This morning we had some heavy squalls that dumped a couple inches at the most. About 11:30 the wind shifted from South to NNW and temps started dropping. From a high of 25 we.re now down to 12° and still falling with winds NNW at 23 gusting to 33.

Snow that fell this morning is going cross country, RAPIDLY! Lots that were slushy at noon are now white as the drifting snow sticks anywhere it finds moisture.

I salted everything heavily before daybreak with straight salt, I'm almost out of Magic salt and no time to stop to refill the bin in the past two days.

Tomorrow morning should be fun, temps in the -10 to 15° and wind chills of 25-50 below zero. This is NOT gonna be sweet!

I'm not real happy with how my lots look, but they are actually better than most of the others in town. I'm sure there will be complaints, never let an opportunity to bitch go unused!

On top of all that, the truck that has the vee box also has a heater acting up. Symptoms are that the heater core is plugged. PERFECT TIMING!! Looks like I'll be in the long woolies tomorrow. I could run the dump truck but I don't like firing up the central hydraulics when it's real cold. The pump makes some very expensive noises for a long time before the oil starts to flow freely. Next time I build a tank I'm going to incorporate a heater coil inside the tank so I can preheat the oil with engine coolant.

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
Looks like that new truck is looking better and better all the time ... huh Alan?

Seriously the idea of a heating coil inside the central hydraulic resevoir sounds like a good idea. you will need a shut off or bypass so as not to heat it in the good ol'summer time.

Try and stay worm and be safe good buddy:burnout

·
Registered
466 Posts
Alan

What weight hydraulic oil are you running in the truck?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Alan said:

On top of all that, the truck that has the vee box also has a heater acting up. Symptoms are that the heater core is plugged. PERFECT TIMING!! Looks like I'll be in the long woolies tomorrow. I could run the dump truck but I don't like firing up the central hydraulics when it's real cold. The pump makes some very expensive noises for a long time before the oil starts to flow freely. Next time I build a tank I'm going to incorporate a heater coil inside the tank so I can preheat the oil with engine coolant.
in the cold mornings I used to take my salamander heater and put it so it blew hot air around the tank, the pump made a grinding noise for about 30-40 seconds until it warmed up, just a thought

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alan,
Good luck staying warm & keeping the lots in shape!

Rob,
Things are looking good that you'll meet your trigger, and maybe a hair more? My NWS cast now says 4"-5", and the storm & you are south of here, so you should do that much I would think down there.

Nate,
Thanks for merging the maps like that, pretty cool. :cool:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
They seem all over with this one, ive heard from 4 to 7 inches to only 1 inch for thursday depending on which local station i watch.Im gonna pick the middle and expect around 2 or 3 for now :(

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I am no where near you guys but we are getting the same clipper on the 14th.

Forcasting 3-8"

Perfect timing as well, it will begin Wed morning and be done by evening. That will leave plenty of time to get all accounts nice and clean for Thursday morning. I am sick of the 2-4am snows. Last year it seemed like every snow came in the early morning hrs. So hard to get to all places when there is 2" at 4am and some businesses open at 5am

I say bring it on.

See ya in the snowbank

:burnout :rockon

·
Registered
218 Posts
oh yeah baby! Were talking 4-6", and possibly up to 8" on the south shore. Trucks all set to go, did some pre treating earlier. Bring on the snow.. and bring in the dough. :cash plowing!

There talking about snow for the weekend already too. Cha-ching!

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
That should drop about 220 miles due south, I would be in Blizzard heven.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well we got 5" out of it, it came earlier in the day than they first thought. Which I guess is good, most places had to be plowed that day then again at night. Of course things take ten times as long when around every corner someone is in the ditch or hitting someone else.:rolleyes:

I still like the 2" plows better.:p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts