Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running Windows XP. Installed an Adobe update last night but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my problem. When I powered up this morning half my icons were gone, my desktop pic is different and my settings are all different. I tried system restore to 3 different points over the last couple of weeks and it was not able to restore my system. I just started manually fixing everything. I then powered down and restarted. Everything I had just reentered was gone again. Any ideas?

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Maybe you need to update your Norman, Mustang. :rolling :rolling

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that would be the blind leading the blind.

Just got back from the Geek Squad. They ran a scan and said there was adware in some of my registry files that could be causing it. Said it would cost about $200 to fix. This computer is not worth that much. I may see what I can do on my own. I don't understand why Norton didn't catch it though.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Norton\Norman\Borton sucks. Putting it mildly. I wanted to do the same thing to it as Fred does his phone.

Went with Kaspersky a year ago. Auto updates are really automatic now. Everything loads normally and my 'puter doesn't slow down to the speed of a TRS80 when trying to do something on the 'net.

PS You're too welcome for the suggestions, thought Ricky might be able to help yous. If nothing else, he could tell you orange cleaner works great.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Start with a Pandasoft online scan.It will probably find it.

Malwarebytes is another good free one.

Adaware and Spybot for the rest of the spyware stuff.

If it is a registry issue,RegRun is a good program for cleaning up the registry,but you do need some decent computer knowledge to use it.

Eset NOD32 is a good reasonably priced virus scanner,that doesn't use a ton of system resources.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
When I got that virus last summer, Norton was running. The problem with the new ones is that they don't load silently. You get some kind of pop up, and when you click no, or on the X to close it, that is the same as clicking yes. So Norton doesn't see it as a problem. I have been running AVG since, and (knocking on wood) no problems. Norton ain't what it used to be. Panda was a good one too, because most virus writers block all the known AV programs from running. Find one that is not common, or new, and the virus does not stop it from running.

Honestly, what worked easy for me was removing the drive, and hooking it up as a slave, then scanning it with another drive. Most viruses boot with the computer. When you boot from another drive, the virus is inactive. Then it usually can be removed.

~Chuck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts