Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this plow for quite some time. It is only used on my immediate property nothing commercial. The plow finally decided it wouldn't work last winter and I finally had a chance to tear it down. The filter was as you would expect very clogged, the fluid a dirty mess.
I tore the unit down and had trouble with the bolts securing the hydraulic block to the main casting. Finally had to drill out one of the bolt holes - aluminum/steel corrosion had set in over the years. I was able to get a new hole in the block, wound up using a spherical burr from both ends and they eventually met each other. They are somewhat angled but I was able to miss any other galleys.
Here's the problem: I can't get all of the plugs out of the hydraulic block. I've tried penetrating oil, heat and a lye soak. I don't know how to get the plugs out which appear to be driven in. I've only broken one allen wrench so far on this so it could be worse.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Don’t use lye on aluminum it will weaken it. I would use a longer alan key perhaps add a small pipe For extra mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Picture or two of what you are trying to remove, what functions failed on the plow, you may not have to remove everything. Sometimes when the blocks are very old, you are not able to remove everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plow wouldn't do anything, I figure the blocked fluid filter was the cause. That has been cleaned and a new filter and gasket is on hand. I removed the block simply because I wanted to check it for debris and crud. The middle retaining bolt was the problem, galvanic action worked on the entire length of the shaft.
At this point I feel I need to ensure the entire block is clean, I may be able to not remove every plug as certain galleys (typically relief ports) have not been opened yet. I will look this over again with that in mind. But, those galleys that block off the ports into the three valve spools will have to be exposed and cleaned.

A longer shafted alan wrench would only bend sooner. The alans I've used snapped. Using an alan in the socket style would result in the hex section twisting.
I am thinking that my only real options here are to keep it soaking in penetrating fluid and eventually using more heat if needed.

Of course the best solution would be to get a new block however at 300-400 it isn't a choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't thought about it, after breaking off an alan wrench I figured anything I would make up would have the same fate. I plan to find a way to keep pressure on the plug even when I am not present. May wind up with bent or broken tools again but I think it may give me a better chance of success.
BTW I see there are two different p/n's for this manifold, one for 2500 and one for 3500, how physically are they different? Will one replace the other? I'm not sure which one I have!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Haven't thought about it, after breaking off an alan wrench I figured anything I would make up would have the same fate. I plan to find a way to keep pressure on the plug even when I am not present. May wind up with bent or broken tools again but I think it may give me a better chance of success.
BTW I see there are two different p/n's for this manifold, one for 2500 and one for 3500, how physically are they different? Will one replace the other? I'm not sure which one I have!
The 2500 is used on the 9' and 10' municipal highway plows or the tiny downsized plows with the 6" lift ram. It's unlikely you have either of those so it's probably the 4000 psi.

Having said that, I don't think those manifolds are available as new replacements anymore. You'd have to find something used. But a junk plow with an SEHP power pack shouldn't be too hard to come across.

As dieseldude said, in some cases there is nothing you are going to do to get those pieces out despite any combination of tricks, tools, and elbow grease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Cwren2742; Mine is the 8 foot straight blade plow on my '99 dodge ram. Only use it around the house or once in a great while for my wife's place of business. Ram is about 12 inches long,. I believe it is an Isarmatic III.
The quill is frozen! If I can't get this out I'll need another hydraulic manifold. I've already looked at ebay and craigslist. Any thought on any site that may have used parts, or used units? Now I'll know enough to leave well enough alone on these things.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks Cwren2742; Mine is the 8 foot straight blade plow on my '99 dodge ram. Only use it around the house or once in a great while for my wife's place of business. Ram is about 12 inches long,. I believe it is an Isarmatic III.
The quill is frozen! If I can't get this out I'll need another hydraulic manifold. I've already looked at ebay and craigslist. Any thought on any site that may have used parts, or used units? Now I'll know enough to leave well enough alone on these things.
No idea on a source for used other than finding a cheap parts plow locally. You can likely find a junk plow with an SEHP for the $400-600 range, less than you'll spend on a power unit or manifold by itself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts