Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to buy myself a truck, a used one. This is the only one that caught my eye. Give me some feedback and tell me what yall think about it.

Auto Trader Ram 2500

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
The color garnet is one of my favorites . I am guessing the price is good . check it out . See if you can document maintenance and get a Carfax, it could document info you would want to know

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Jeff,nice truck,my advice is if you are open to diesel power,and noise, spend another 3500-4500 now and get a Cummins powered truck.Heres why, first off fuel useage,will be about 1/2 with the cummins,when working it.expect about 50% better mileage when empty. 2nd,with 95K on it the 360 magnum is likely worn pretty well out,if your working it hard,expect to put a new engine with a yr or 2. The bil for an enigne installed will be about 3500 .The cummins unless seriosuly neglected ot overheated badly will outlast the truck. The last reason why is power, I dont know anyone who has a 5.9 mag in a 2500 quad 4x4 that has enough power,they are underpowered,IMO. 5.9 Mags like to eat emission components too,like o2 sensors,EGR valves,and cat convertors.These are $$. other than the motor, I love the truck:D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John i really appreciate the feedback. I would really like a diesel but can't find anything around here, this is the only truck that i found that I liked and its even 75 miles away. Acctaully i had found a great diesel truck on autotrader a while back, when i went to the dealership to look at it, it had already been sold. So, I dunno my unicorn is out there somewhere. :p

Jeff

Heres one more that I like and is CarFax Certified it says in the description, don't know what im gonna do, Auto Trader Truck 2

·
Registered
345 Posts
I definitly agree with what John said. Spend a little more $$$ up front and try and find one with a Cummins, you'll love it. Nothing quite like a Cummins and like John said it will out live the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Jeff, i understand perfectly,a Dodge /Cummins is tough to find used/clean,I looked over 6 months for mine.I combed the auto traders all the time,finally got lucky on http://bargainnews.com/. I found it in NJ about an hr away,and for an excellent price.If i returned it to stock and sold it today i think Id lose maybe 2500 for 3 yrs usage.Not bad,IMO.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John thanks for the link found some nice trucks that I might be interested in, this site has a couple more diesel trucks than autotrader. Thanks for all the help again.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Jeff,your welcome , i was hoping you'd find a Cummins in there:D .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well no luck yet, but i got one more question for ya, any idea on how much it would cost to paint a ram?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Missed the dam edit by like 30 seconds lol

Heres one that I might be interested in, mostly because I like the sport model with the 2500 "power" What size plow would I be able to put on that truck? Also would I lose any power from the truck being a sport?

Thanks I appreciate it

JeffAutotrader Sport 2500

·
Registered
150 Posts
That truck would be alright for plowing,but the 6.5 ' bed will be useless for anything ,but be good for plowing since its not as long.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I love my 6½' beds, but them again that's me.
You can put a weed eater in it longways and many of the other tools.

The 5.9 is good for about 150,000 175,000 miles tops.

I got over 100,000 on both V8's and V10, so far engine wise no problems.

And the emissions have a 100,000 mile warrenty, don't let a dealer BS you, I had my cats repaced on my V10 with 98k miles on it and it was long out of warrenty period.

Now that I have been Cumminsized get the diesel. My Cummins smokes the V10 pulling. So far only 1 storm, the diesel fuel wise out did any gas trucks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lawngodfather is right about the emissions warranty. Plenty of stuff covered way on out. Of course the labor part of it usually isn't; was labor covered in your repairs Lawngodfather?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I didn't pay a penny.

I also have lifetime tire rotation, chassis lube, and oil changes, cost me $8.65 for the oil filter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well couldn't find a diesel, or a 2500 so I decided to hold on on it and I'm thinking of buy a 4x4 Sport Ram. Question is, what size plow could I put on the front. I would like to put a Ultra Mount 7.6 on it. Would it work?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Roger Dodger said:
Lawngodfather is right about the emissions warranty. Plenty of stuff covered way on out. Of course the labor part of it usually isn't; was labor covered in your repairs Lawngodfather?
If it's covered under the emissions warranty,it's parts and labor included.Otherwise they are hosing you for the labor.

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's funny, I just asked that question at the stealership just yesterday. They always seem to waffle on topics like that. For the most part they did say that labor "should" be included. Also begged the question from them about invalid warranties from plows on 1/2 ton trucks without the plow prep pkg.. They claim CD will honor most warranty claims provided the Chrysler rep doesn't determine the problem to stem from the use of a plow or improper towing arrangement. They have seen their share of 1/2tons in for service for premature wear from plowing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well heres the latest update for any that care heh, Still haven't been able to make a deal on anything yet. Found a Nice 2500 or what seemed to be, something seemed fishy about the dealer and what not. We asked if the truck had been in an accident, the paint on the front half of the Truck was jus a bit darker, on the inside the firewall was cracked, finally the guy admitted the truck had been in an accident blah blah blah. So today I was searching and this one seem to be looking good. 1500 Blue n Silver 80K is a lot but....has a cover on the back, inside is real clean. Hopefully everything will check out, looks like it might have been a contractors truck but im not sure. Gonna go with my mechanic friend to check it out this weekend. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...&advanced=n&start_year=1994&color=&cardist=21

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Glad you are taking your time in finding a truck and not someone elses head ache.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Here is one for you to look at ...

1997 2500 cummins... 89K

DESCRIPTION
1997 DODGE BR2500, Cummins Turbo Diesel pickup with Truckcraft aluminum insert dumper. Call toll free 866 532 0016

http://adcache.trucktraderonline.com/4/7/4/58230174.htm

2000 DODGE, , DODGE, 2500, $19,995, 4x4, diesel, 5spd, 46K miles, w/plow. #7484A. Foss Motors Incorporated, Exeter 603-772-3702.… More Details

1997 DODGE 3500, PICKUP, Cummins diesel, dually, 4x4, regualr cab, auto, 8 foot bed, runs & looks new, $10,500, CARS TO GO, 631-831-2127, 1388 Merrick Road, Copiague, NY… More Details

1997 DODGE, 2500, Extra Cab, 4x4, Cummins turbo diesel, auto, 109K miles, ac, loaded, leather, very clean, looks/runs excellent, Buy now for $13,500, 1/2 hr from Prov/Boston, Autos Unlimited, Norton MA, Cell: 401-623-1230, Till 7:30PM: 508-285-6763 (PD07lr)… More Details & Photos

All from Tructraderonline

http://www.trucktraderonline.com/index.html

pete

1 - 20 of 29 Posts