Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRAND NEW AMBER 12-24VDC Weather / Rust Proof 360 degree self contained WARNING STROBE - Output 18watts of BRIGHT INTENSIFIED light backed by a Heavy Duty Long Life XENON "U" shaped tube for that EXTRA punch. When you plug this one in you will know why they call it the BLIZZARD BUSTER, this one lives up to its name. Flash Rate 80/min, Draws 800mA, Weight 12.5oz. The BLIZZARD BUSTER contains no driven mechanical parts inside to wear out. Includes a generous 15ft of heavy duty wire with cigarette lighter plug. Tough Acrylic Fresnel Lens measures 4 in dia. Unit measures 4.5 in tall overall. ABS resin Base measures 4.5 in dia. and has 3 magnets for a strapping hold. A mylar base cover protects your vehicles finish from scratches

Is it a decent light?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good to me and the price is pretty inexpensive. Is the flash tube replaceable??? Some of the less expensive strobes have non-replaceable flash tubes.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would say no, based on the fact that typically you cannot get a good strobe light, capable of 18 watt output for $50, They are most often around $150. I would either look at eBay, there are almost always great deals on lights , or look at Galls, AWDirect, Angelos, etc. North American Signal, Federal Signal, ECCO, and Whelen are all good name brands.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ebay is where I found it.. I can't find any other info on it.. so I don't know if the flash tube is replaceable.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is it just single flash? I would go with atleast a nice double flash.Even better a quad flash:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lawn-scapes

That light looks kind of small and short, unless thats an optical illusion with the lighter plug??

other that that it looks like a good deal.

Mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies....

I'm also looking at this light.. 22" w/2 55watt rotators for about $100 shipped.

Which would look best on my dumper? Would raising and lowering the dump create problems with the light?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Definately mount it on the bulkhead, I don't think it would be visable from the rear if you mounted it on the roof.

I would go with either the TurboBeam, or just a double flash strobe beacon (or a pair, that is very effective, and cool!)

I don't think it would cause problems, but you could always use some type of self-leveling brackets to keep the light level.

·
Registered
333 Posts
bolt it down people love to steal those things.i bolted it to my EZ dumper.i bought a cheap head rack from buyers and bolted it to my EZ dumper works great

she dumps with the rack on to.i don't have to unhook anything.
looks cool with the light flashing while your dumping lol

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
If your cab protector will block the view from the rear, put it on it so you have 360 coverage.

You should be aware the rotating light will draw a lot more power than the strobe. If your electrical system is running near capacity while plowing, the strobe would be better for you.

I had this problem and freed up a lot of juice by switching to strobes

·
Registered
979 Posts
Definitely mount the TurboBeam on the top of dumpster. I actually do like rotators better than strobes because rotators really do cut into heavy snowfall unlike strobes which do tend to bounce off the snow flakes easily. It may draw a few more amps than strobes, but if your truck electrical system is capable of it, then why not? Another nice thing about rotators is if you are plowing somewhere that is obstructed by view of incoming motorists, chance are that they still can see the lights bouncing off the side of building, etc and they know that you are there.

I was really interested in that 22" TurboBeam but since I want a magnetic mount for the roof of my truck but still look clean, I chose to get the FS2000. It is a 14" but very bright and effective two rotators with optics dome which help spread out the lights nicely. I think that 22" TurboBeam will be perfect for your dump as long as you permantely mount it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay.. what will determine if the truck electrical system is capable? I have the HD plow package with the larger alternator. The lights do dim when operating the plow but don't they all?

This is almost as bad as picking out a plow!

Now I'm looking at this. It has flashers.. 2 sides flash then the other 2 sides flash (no rotation). It's a large 9" x 9" commercial light.

What do you think of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Lawn-scapes, What are you looking for? a strobe?, rotating beacon(s) ? Price?, Quality?, Flash?, Brightness?...

PM me i'm just south of Baltimore and i may have a light for you.

Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I've seen those "imitation beacons" before, JC Whitney used to sell them. I was never impressed with them, they draw nearly as much power as a rotating beacon, but not nearly with the same effect. I wouldn't have one on my truck.

In order to determine how much reserve power you have, turn on all your accessories that you would run while plowing, headlights, heater blower, wipers, any flashers you use, etc, then check your battery with a volt meter. It should read minimum 13.8 volts if you aren't discharging the system. This will tell you if you have reserve power, but not how much.

A bit more sophisticated gauge will be needed to determine the charge rate available after all the accessories are run. You would need to cycle your plow several times to discharge the battery, then with all your accessories on, use an amp meter to measure the rate of recharge to the battery with everything turned on. This will tell you your reserve power.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts