Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my water pump started leaking and then my heater started acting wierd. I think I blew my water pump. I have put a starter in this vehicle before, Is installing a new water pump harder? any tips on the instalation are appreiciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It's not that hard.If you managed the starter,you should be fine doing the water pump.

You need to remove the alt,ps pump,and oil filler tube.Remove the pump bolts and it's off.Check the water pumps bolts for any signs of sealer.I'm pretty sure the water pump bolts require a liquid teflon sealnt when reinstalling.Torque the water pump bolts to 30 ft\lbs.

Would be a good time to flush and change the coolant,and replace the hoses if they are old.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i went to work on my truck to I decided to see if it was my thermostat before I took my water pump off, when I took off the thermo. housing I broke a bolt, also I am having a hard time getting off the old gasket, any tips? I think I took care off the bolt problem, but i have antifreeze coming through the housing. I am getting very desperate, because we have snow comming in 24 hours:headwall :headwall :headwall

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You should be able to scrape most of it off with a sharp edged gasket scraper.You could also try a dremel or air grinder with an abrasive pad.

You can also burn the gasket off with a propane torch.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It would help seal any irregularities in the gasket mating surface.It must be clean and dry when installing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts