Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've read.. most recommend paying to install a plow.

What's the hard part? Isn't the undercarriage a custom fit? Do they need to be drilled? Are some manufacturers less difficult?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The truck side mount is the stuff that gets mounted to the truck & stays with the truck when you take the plow off. I think that explains it correctly. If you have lots of tools & are mechanically inclined, then go for it. Lots of parts & lots of fun to do. But for those that don't have the time, a shop, or the skills it's worth it to have them installed. Plus if they screw something up, it would be warranteed, whereas if you screw something up, it's on you.

·
Registered
302 Posts
biggest problem I have seen is that you usually have to take off the bumpter and grill and it's a pain in the @#$ getting the push plates lines up and mounted. But the rest should be pretty easy. I have not done it myself, but have watched a few get installed.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I installed a plow this fall. I am some what mechanically inclined. The hardware is quite easy to install, and so is the wiring as long as you do it step by step you should be able to get it right. Otherwise get a buddy who is good at that kind of stuff and a 24 pack of bud and make a Saturday out of it:drinkup

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah GRASSHOPPER! But don't drink the bud until after you are done with the wiring other wise you'll have to have your windshield wipers going to operate the up-down of the blade!!:D No, I am not speaking from experience!!! LOL :burnout Jon

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do you have the tools?

Are you mechanically inclined?

A good installation is based on whether or not you know the basics or the "hands on experience" of turning wrenches.

I known a 10 year old kid that could do it, and I know a 70 year old man that can't. It all depends on how smart you are with tools.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time, tools, shop and mechanical know-how are not a problem. I just want to know what I would be getting into before I jumped in.

I started the Meyer & Curtis thread with the intent of buying new and having them install it. Now I am thinking used Western or Boss and doing the install myself. Would one of these be less difficult to install?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd go with the boss... Aslong as ya are a little handy asfar as wireing goes its not too bad to install a plow... probably take about half a day mabye a little less...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I helped the guy who sold and installed my plow (on a '95 Dodge 1500 4X4) in exchange for a break on the labor cost. That really sucked!! I'm no mechanic and we did it outside in his driveway on a cold and windy day. We spent from 10am to 5pm working on it and he knocked off $100. From now on I just pay to have it done. Period.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You just threw a twist in this that can get interesting,"USED".You really want to buy a used plow from someone you know and trust,i've gotten into used installs in my shop and customers don't get all the pieces from the buyer,some of it's just a mistake but other things are just parts the seller just plain didn't take off.
Go to Boss and Western and get the parts lists for whatever plow your looking at and be sure all that stuff comes with a used plow.Believe me,you don't want to tear into your truck and have it layed up for days because you need more parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, the plow I bought is like new and I did buy a brand new "truck side" mount to go with it. All the parts were there and it performed flawlessly once the install was complete. I just thought it was a pain-in-the-a**. It wasn't overly complicated, just a lot of work.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
This goes on that 2000 Ram?

I put all of my plows on over the years.

That Ram uni-mount is an easy install.

You might have to take the bracket apart to install it though.

I took one mount off, and it came off with the front bumper still on.

You will need the u bolts that get fished into the frame, I doubt you have those.

I think I have an instillation manual for your bracket too, you pay shipping.

The light harness is a brease to install.

Tommy you should have no problem with it.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Two of us installed a complete assembly on an 03 F 350 p/u in about 6 hrs on friday. It was a meyer ez mount system, with 4 rather large holes to drill. By far this was the hardest part of the project. We had to drill 2 -1" holes and 2 -3/4" holes. My largest bit was 3/4" so I used a reamer to open the holes. Aside from that, just follow the directions and its not really that hard. Use never sieze on all bolts, and dielectric grease on all non weather pack connectors.
Dino

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be on way to northern Ohio tomorrow to purchase and install a used 7.5 BOSS V-Plow. The gentleman was kind enough to offer to install the plow.. so I'm taking him up on it. Going to be a haul but should be worth it. Never been up that way.. should be a pretty drive.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.