Lou Kaltenstein
President
Gene Norris Buick-GMC Trucks Inc./Norris Auto Group
18170 Bagley Rd
Middleburg Hts., Ohio 44130

There has been a lot of talk about Toyota Tundra's new ads and how
impressive they are. Here are some myths about their spots that I
have found and that should be refuted. Also, they are offering a
"IVC" type program on Tundra to help with sales.

I would guess all of you have seen the ad where the Tundra pulls a
trailer up a steep grade (a 'see-saw'), and then barrels down hill and
locks the brakes up just before the end of the ramp. Many of you have
commented on how well done the spot is visually. However, here are
the actual facts to share with people:

1. The V.O. at the beginning of the spot says...."It's tough
pushing 10,000 lbs up a steep grade". Myth: Toyota would like the
audience to believe the trailer is 10,000 lbs. Fact: It's a 5,000 lb
truck pulling a 5,000 lb trailer. A little slight of hand? You bet.

2. Then, on the way down the grade, the camera zooms in on the
brakes as the vehicles comes to a screeching halt just prior to the
end of ramp. Next time you see the ad....look for the 'mice type'.
It indicates the trailer is equipped with electric brakes.
Fact....the electric brakes stop the trailer -- not the truck. A
little slight of hand? You bet.

3. And why does Toyota have bigger brake pads? They need
them....their truck is heavier. Stopping distance between our truck
and theirs is virtually identical. And why does Toyota have a 6 speed
transmission? To improve their fuel economy....which is still 2 mpg
less than ours.

4. And don't forget....their big V8 has one axle ratio -- a
4.3. Suck fuel much? Our trucks offer several axle options to
optimize towing and fuel economy. Bottom line: OUR TRUCK IS BETTER!
Spread the word.......we can all make a difference.

It makes more sense if you listen carefully to the commercial. The way they word everything is key.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Imagine how many guys bought one based of the commercial, suckers. I don't like them and never will. Buy American

·
Registered
462 Posts
Joey, I have to agree BUY AMERICAN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Let me start out by saying that I agree with most of what you said and I currently own a GMC and a Chevy, so I'm not trying to start an arguement. :D Some of your info though, doesn't seem correct. They do offer 2 rear end ratios with the 5.7L, a 4.1 and 4.3. I know this isn't this isn't the most reliable link but I have seen it in other places, I just wasn't going to spend anytime to look.http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/transmission-drivetrain/1529-rear-end-gears.html
The reason the rear end ratios are geared low is probably due to the fact that it does have a 6 speed trans. Its output in the higher gears is more than likely a slightly higher ratio of a 4 or 5 speed.

Speaking of transmissions, I think most would agree that generally speaking, more gears of closer ratios are better especially when under a load. Now I'm not saying that Toyota's trans is better. I'm saying that IMO if you have a 4 sp and a 6 sp, if both are built well, I'll take the six speed for everyday driving, towing, hauling etc.

I'm definately not running out and buying a Tundra, but I think they have their own place in the market, just not in my driveway.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me start out by saying that I agree with most of what you said and I currently own a GMC and a Chevy, so I'm not trying to start an arguement. :D Some of your info though, doesn't seem correct. They do offer 2 rear end ratios with the 5.7L, a 4.1 and 4.3. I know this isn't this isn't the most reliable link but I have seen it in other places, I just wasn't going to spend anytime to look.http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/transmission-drivetrain/1529-rear-end-gears.html
The reason the rear end ratios are geared low is probably due to the fact that it does have a 6 speed trans. Its output in the higher gears is more than likely a slightly higher ratio of a 4 or 5 speed.

Speaking of transmissions, I think most would agree that generally speaking, more gears of closer ratios are better especially when under a load. Now I'm not saying that Toyota's trans is better. I'm saying that IMO if you have a 4 sp and a 6 sp, if both are built well, I'll take the six speed for everyday driving, towing, hauling etc.

I'm definately not running out and buying a Tundra, but I think they have their own place in the market, just not in my driveway.
I should have been more clear. That wasn't me saying those things. That's a repost of some info I found on another site to stir up the stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Its a half ton truck, its a pretty good truck. Nothing really special but its good to have some competition.

I'd much rather have an old toyota before they started trying to make them like north american trucks. Used to be able to buy a little toyota 1 ton with dual rear wheels with a turbo diesel and solid front axle that got good mileage, wasn't huge and was built like a tank w fully boxed frame etc. It couldn't tow like a big 3 one ton because it was light but it could haul like one.

To me Toyota is playing catch up in the bigger truck market but its what North America wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts