Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the lines going to the fuel cooler started leaking bad. I cut the rusted ends off the feed and return line and bypassed with a rubber fuel line and clamps.

I stopped at the dealer this morning and asked about the cooler, they said they are all junk and they bypass them just like I did.

My question is, why would they run a fuel cooler on these trucks here in the Northeast when temps routinely get below zero in the winter. Dealer had no idea, I was wondering if anyone here knew why.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I meant to post in another thread recently were someone was replacing chevy D-Max lines, 3 years ago i replaced ALL power steering/fuel and trans lines on a customers 08' D-max with well under 50k,everything more or less was junk,anyway i couldn't get the fittings off the cooler and asked around a bit and came up with the same answer-delete it,i was told it was meant for heavy towing in high heat conditions,maybe someone will have a more in-depth response on the topic.
Gotta love those factory lines from GM,this truck had 2 winters on it

·
771 Posts
This fuel system must subject the fuel to high heat and they don't want this hot fuel to warn the fuel in the tank.
:witch:witch
wtf
:rolleyes:

Diesel fuel degrades rather quickly when exposed to high heat. Heat causes asphaltenes to form, it's the black stuff you see covering your fuel filters.

·
771 Posts
^ It's a form/abbreviation of an explanation.

I know how most all folks that are still on this forum get up in arms when a thread
goes off topic or a discussion is widened so maybe you should start a new thread to address this Q.?

ps,
wtf :witch is up with a witch on a broom?
It must be some dark inside joke or something.
It looks like this place could use any activity it can get.
so I would suggest to all to hold back the attitude.
The condensing attitude is why this place is dead.

Thought I'd answer a Q.
I'll try not to let it happen again...

That's about all....
See ya..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is plenty of room between these lines and exhaust so not sure where the heat would be coming from. I know what WTF means. I thought you were using it in reference to my question. No idea what is up with a witch on a broom. :rolleyes:

Thanks Arc for responding. The guys at the dealer here had no idea why they were used.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just did the same repair on my 2500HD Duramax.
Replaced all the cooler to engine with POR15 painted steel lines and SS braided lines.
Had a tough time getting the lines off of the nipples on the cooler. Nipples were rusted to heck. Decided to replace the cooler as well. Painted those nipples and the frame of the new cooler with POR15 as well. Just did the PS lines and brake lines last year. Did all the brake lines with the copper alloy ones. Then wrapped in wire loom. Wish that I had painted the PS lines but did not know that the undercarriage rust would be so widespread yet. The newer liquid deicers and pre-treaters that towns/state started to use over the past few years KILL everything under the truck. I have two friends who work at (or own) truck dealerships (one Freightliner and the other International). They say that ALL the trucks (especially the large dump/plow trucks) are horrible. Components that used to last 30 years are rusting out in 5.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Not bad for 02'(not good) but considering the 08' i did is already leaking at the power steering lines AGAIN i'd say your doing alright:grinz

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yesterday the lines going to the fuel cooler started leaking bad. I cut the rusted ends off the feed and return line and bypassed with a rubber fuel line and clamps.

I stopped at the dealer this morning and asked about the cooler, they said they are all junk and they bypass them just like I did.

My question is, why would they run a fuel cooler on these trucks here in the Northeast when temps routinely get below zero in the winter. Dealer had no idea, I was wondering if anyone here knew why.
The cooler is on the return line because the pump adds so much heat to the fuel bringing the pressure up. Not sure why your dealer says to bypass it, if GM could have saved a buck by not installing the coolers they would have.

·
Registered
905 Posts
if GM could have saved a buck by not installing the coolers they would have.
Yes but at the rate this crap is rusting apart it's also one more overpriced OEM part to come back and buy:grinz
Only kiddin,i'll buy that explanation,makes more sense than the dealers LOL!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cooler is on the return line because the pump adds so much heat to the fuel bringing the pressure up. Not sure why your dealer says to bypass it, if GM could have saved a buck by not installing the coolers they would have.
Don't know but I guess there are a lot of them out there that have been removed. Truck is running fine without it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Don't know but I guess there are a lot of them out there that have been removed. Truck is running fine without it.
It's more long term damage, the dealer could care less about your truck down the road

1 - 12 of 12 Posts