Snowplow Forums banner

Identifying Blizzards

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Radguy 
#1 · (Edited)
the Blizzard 810 is now in its third generation of design, I've heard people ask how they'd know they're getting the latest and greatest. Here's a breakdown on the development of the 810 and how to identify what you're looking at.

Introduction Model

It appears very similar to today's unit with these exceptions:
There are 8 hoses to the moldboard vs. 4 on the modern version.
The valve manifold is natural aluminum in color.

Stay away from these units. There were problems in the manifold that gave Blizzard a poor reputation at first. These problems have been corrected with the next version.

3rd Season Model

Looks identical to the original, but the valve manifold is anodized red. This model is much more reliable than the original, but has been improved upon further.

Modern Version

See the photo below. Look for the steel pins in the circle, these are not on earlier plows. There are also 4 hoses to the moldboard vs. 8 on older models.

Some other things not apparent visibly:
Heavier gauge steel used in the wings. I had some cracking of the wing moldboard on my earlier model, this is supposed to prevent that.
Larger capacity pump
This has sped up the cycle time of the plow dramatically, not that it was that slow before. It compares to the cycle time of Boss plows.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I saw a new Blizzard advertised on Ebay for $3200, it's not the new design. If anyone is looking at that plow, insist on a photo of the pump with the cover off, it will tell you if it is the original design.

#4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the pic. That will make a difference when shopping around. I didn't get a chance to get there today, but tomorrow I will at least call and see what they have, if any. Thanx again for the pics, Pelican.

#6 · (Edited)
Good thread Pelican. I called yesterday for a new blizzard,I was all set to buy it when I asked him it it was this yrs model.... I had remembered you saying the new one had only 2 hoses to the wings instead of 6.Well I asked him if it had 6 hoses,and he said yes.I didnt buy it because of that and the pump speed. If I didnt talk to you or read this thread I would have never known.I wasnt about to pay top dollar for last yrs plow.

#7 ·
I leave the shoes in place just so I know where they are. They're raised up full and are about 1/2" higher than the blade. I suppose I'll have to take them off when the blade wears, but now they're just along for the ride.

Glad to help!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info Pelican . I also talked to a local dealer (Fitchburg Ma ) he to explained the difference . I couldnt find the latest model so I got an X Blade . The " best plow in the world " is losing many sales because they are being to cautious and not wanting to sit on any inventory

#9 ·
To make a long story short, myu in-laws had a large parcel of property one minute off I 84 and jsut sold it to a young guy. I go to visit him almost once a day. He took the bldg and does trailer repairs. Werner had a driver stuff 24 of 53 ft of trailer under a bridge in Boston. This is what he is into. Anyway, he asked about a supplemental thing to get into. I told him to go to the Blizzard web site as they advertise, need new dealers. I'll be a sun of a gum if he called and now is waiting on Blizzards pakg in the mail. They told him he can be set up for next season as this year, all plow systems are sold and one delaer in Alaska is right now sending un-sold plows south. With good luck I'll have a new Blizzard dealer two minutes form the house next year. He asked me again today if I am serious and giving up running a 710 TLB to move snow and I said yes, because next year I will be installing new Blizzard plows on customers rigs.

#11 ·
Just curious, as i may look into a blizzard plow next year.How are they with backblading?My 8 foot fisher is ok in some conditions but overall its not very good for backblading.I would like to improve that some. I heard v plows arent very good at it and like the blizzard because it will cut down the time i spend at my commercial accounts.

#12 ·
My 810 backblades better than some, but it is still designed for pushing, not pulling snow. In powdery conditions it works well, but when the snow is wet it tends to pack the snow instead.

I've had Meyer and Western plows in the past, the blizzard backblades better than them perhaps due to the added weight. I would put it on par with the Diamond plow I ran prior to the 810, again that was a fairly heavy plow.

#15 ·
faster

The newer Blizzards are faster my first one is a 04 thought it could be a little faster lifting in feb i got the second one with the newer pump theres no comparison on speed Erie 2 lifts faster hands down . This weekend iam taking Erie 1 out to Jerre dropping it off and bringing back my lowpro iam having him change pumps the extra lift speed is a big diff for me has i tend to drive what ever is setting in the yard i can tell easy which Blizzard is which just by the raise speed. I have not seen a monarch pump Fenner is the only ones i have seen which honestly to look at it the pump on the Blizzard looks like the pumps on my Rotary above ground hoists.

#16 ·
pumps

If Blizzard is going to go to monarch pumps its not a set back i seen the new specs on the monarch pumps and there impressive plus with it using a delta valve its probley a big step forward. Fenner and monarch are two of the oldest pump companys out there i would use either no problem.

#18 ·
plow

:blizzard pelican my 810 is 5 years old and have never had aprob ect. a plug on head lights . true i want a new erie special but mine is like a old dog just cant quit using her . anyhow maybe i got lucky . my 2 cents

#20 ·
NYRookie said:
Yeah, come look at mine and we'll go get 1 just like it. :blizzard
Wow you're smart...nothing gets by you does it. 1eye2

But seriously....NYRookie, called his dealer and he's getting out. So I'd like to do business with someone that's gonna be around for a while. :soapbox

So how much is it going to cost me for a new 810 installed on my 2006 2500hd?

Already talked to NYROOKIE he said he's up for a road trip to erie :grinz

#21 ·
Check out Jerre's link at the top of page he has prices on his site.

I was there last Sat. for my install. Top notch guy, walks you threw everything. I am not the only satisfied customer here either. The list is growing and rightfully so. :blizzard
Todd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.