Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, my 'duty has the "ICC"-ish clearance lights (I've loved 'em since I was 4 and finally have them:D), and I pull large enclosed trailers on a fairly regular basis. These are freeway runs from the factories in northern IN to MN. At any rate, I would like to figure out a way to install an ICC Flash feature like big rigs and RVs have.

The Challenge- I want ONE momentary switch that will cause the parking light circuit to do the opposite of what the parking light switch is telling it to do...

At night, everything lights up as normal, momentary flashes the running lights off- Daytime, the running lights are off, but the momentary flashes them on. I haven't figured it out yet- let me know if any of you can!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You need something to switch functions,like a relay,depending on the position of the headlamp switch.

You need to open the circuit when the running lamps are on,and to power them when they are off.

Let me see if I can draw something up for ya. :D

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is a good one, huh? I haven't figured out how to make a relay or series of relays toggle like this.

Those reverse lights are cake compare to this!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
EZSnow,
You've got my TRUCK , the next one that is!
I'm looking to get the same rig for next winter !

Was at the local Western dealer (Buddies Place!) looking at the
First ProPlow Plus a 8'6 with the wings NICE unit.:D

Thats whats planned for next year, keep us informed how Yours
treats ya.

Sorry no answer for the lights, but Check out this site if you
don't know about it already .
http://www.fordtrucks.com/forums/

Lots of info here like this place.

Bob

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, kids- I think I've got it!!! All it took was 10 sheets of notebook paper, 2 hours of:headwall and here we have it. I'll post each stage of the process with the corresponding diagram of how it's working. The relays are SPDT, the switch is a momentary SPST (sprung to the open position). The wire to the parking lights must be cut and the end from the switch fed into terminal 85 of relay 1, then the other end (going to parking light circuit) is fed power from terminal 87a of relay 2 and terminal 87 of relay 3. ACC should probably be battery (+) for the lights to work anytime and not just with the key- thought of that after the diagrams were done... oops. The switch grounds the signal side of relays 2&3 and toggles the function of them. I think this works, but I'm open to any suggestions/ improvements.

The first diagram is with the parking light switch off, momentary open. Relay 1 feeds relay 3, but (+) is not allowed through.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, here's P OFF, momentary switch CLOSED- relays 2&3 are energized, allowing power through relay 3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now we have the P lights ON and the momentary OPEN. Power is transferred to relay 2 and is allowed through terminal 87a

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, here's the last one- P switch ON, momentary CLOSED
relay 2 is powered, but 87a is disabled by closing the momentary

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
EZ, good job, I think you may have it. it looks like it should work on paper. Mock it up on the bench and test it before you tear the truck apart just to make sure.

Hey chris, he beat you to it!!!! Oh, i know why, to busy playing moderator. Just kidding man.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, IT WORKS!!! It's been a while since I figured it out, but with 17 events so far this winter, it hasn't exactly been on the short list... know what I mean? Surprisingly, the same wire runs the trailer light circuit, and the parking light flash for the factory security system still works, too. I'm pretty impressed with myself, my wife says "cool" and goes back in the house... but I knew you guys would be impressed... right?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
:cool: :cool: :drinkup :drinkup :shades :shades :salute :salute

EZSnow good job, well done pat yourself on the back.:D

Tileman

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Is this to flash your cab clearance lights or all runnning lights?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LGF- It flashes all the running lights, including the trailer lights. I wasn't sure if it was going to work on the trailer lights, as they are fused separately, but they must feed off the same wire from the headlight switch. I taped 3 SPDT relays together, and did all the "short" wiring between the relay posts in the house, then took it to the truck. There's plenty of room behind the headlight switches on the Super Duties, so I tie-wrapped it to the headlight switch harness. Cut the running light wire, (brown) attached the two ends, fed it power from a battery supply, and grounded the relays through the SPST momentary button.

My main reason for doing this (besides the fact that nobody else has it) is that I pull rather large enclosed trailers fairly regularly... gotta flash those markers to say "thanks". And also, cuz nobody else has them!!

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Cool, I've just been turning all the lights off and then back on a few times.......LOL

My headlight switch on the IHC's are easy to access, and, heck I might even do it on the new ram......

Those realay's are cheap too, I get Bosch 4/5 terminals for $3.16 each.

Some of those diagrams, you have used different terminals, is one a higher amp-- 87 and 87a?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that those relays are SPDT... single pole, double throw. Terminal 30 is where the battery power flows into the relay, and it either connects to 87 or 87a. When the relay is relaxed, it will connect 30 and 87a... when power is applied across terminals 85-86, the field is energized and 30 is now connected to 87. Kinda like a toggle switch- this way or that way, but there's no "off" position, unless you leave a terminal 87 or 87a open. (Like on relays 2 and 3) The diagrams kinda show the switching action. Anyway, the hardest part of this whole deal was trying to make the relay wiring look good... didn't happen. I was running out of female spade connectors, so I used three different types/ sizes... oh well- nobody's looking behind my dash, anyway. If you promise not to tell, I'll even let you in on a secret... I even had to use three wire nuts... but you gotta promise not to tell!!! Oh well, better it's put back together with wire nuts than leave it tore apart. At least I did it and know where to look for potential weak spots if it fails.

Here's where I learned about relays Try it out- it's a great resource.

BTW- Ford gave me one relay with the truck that I didn't need. Seems Uncle Henry doesn't like to power the (+) to the trailer harness when the truck is off... pulle dout the relay and jumpered the holes between terminals 30 and 87... WHAM-O!! full-time power in the trailer! The SPDT relays are a little harder to come by than a SPST. I went to the Ford dealer and they were about 8 bucks a piece for the other two.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been contacted a couple time off-board about this mod, so I want to add something here... On ford trucks equipped with automatic headlamps, this mod will not be able to blink the marker lights off if they have been activated by the automatic system. I like to have control of such things, so this has not been an issue for me- I turn my lights on when its dark and off when its light... but I guess some people need such features.

as far as an update, I was using one (+) lead for this setup, as well as to power the relays for my rotating beacon (which I turn OFF between jobs) and my 60W aux backups... lesson learned is to give this its own circuit... or don't use everything at once!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cool! Great feature. I am glad you got it to work; however, I am going to bust your bubble just a bit:grinz

My first professional truck driving job was driving a straight 26 foot box truck, delivering furniture. The owner of the company would order the trucks with marker lights all the way around the top of the box. One of the first things he did when he got the trucks in, was to put all the marker lights around the bottom of the body and corresponding locations. He would wire these to the headlight/parking light circuit. He would then splice in the top box marker lights and cab lights into an interrupt switch like you did. Here's where it gets "KEWL". At night (or during the day) when you wanted to flash a thank you or a comeover, you only interupted the top lights. This way, you still had lights all the time and you were operating safely. This is what I plan on doing with my ICC marker lights and cab lights. You really want to impress me? Get your enclosed trailer to do the same;) The only way I see this possible is you would have to have two electrical plugs for your trailer.

Marshall

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've seen top-only-interrupt on some box trucks I've driven. This system (as I have shown) leaves the headlights on for safe foreward operation.

If you want toset up your trailer lights similarly , you could do so within a 7-way, IF you don't need the center-pin reverse circuit. I have reverse lights on my boat trailer, so that isnt an option for me, but this mod does interrupt/energize the trailer circuit as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts