Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to this forum and to snow plowing, and have a few questions.
I own an 86 Toyota 4-runner, 4-cylinder.
Is this vehicle sufficient to put a plow on it to make money with it?
Will it destroy it?
If it will, all the rest of my questions are not applicable.

What kind of plow do you suggest?
Good price range?
What do you charge and is it best to get contracts through the state or on your own?
I have never plowed, where is the best place to learn if I do this?
It has become sort of a need in this city, as well as surrounding areas, due to all of the snow Colorado has received recently and still is.
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading and all of your help.
My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I don't think you can put a plow on the front of that .I'm pretty sure my cousin wanted to and the front end would not take it and you could not beef it up for some reason.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I had a '89 Toyota pickup 4-cylinder when I first started plowing. It has 6.5' Fisher MM1 on it and the truck handled it fine. It was a great plow truck for tight driveways. Only downside is the electrical system, as it is hard for the stock 60amp alternator to keep up. So an upgrade would be necessary to keep it reliable.

I know of a few others that has similar setup and it work great for them in a certain application.

·
Registered
529 Posts
did the 86 4 runners have the solid front axle found in the 84 and 85 models, if so it should be easy to beef up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't waste your money. I had a 82 toyota years ago great truck, very reliable, but comppared to a full size truck, no comparison. For starters the trucks clutch wasn't heavy enough, nor was the truck, no posi traction, etc. Find a used plow truck, you'll be better off. Each truck/machine has its niche and the smaller trucks/jeeps are fine for small drives in light snows (less than 6") but as an only vechial, buy a full size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the replys...Very Appreciated

Hi all,
Thanks so very much for the reply's, it took me a bit to get to them, but I did find them and really do appreciate all of your thoughts.
I kind of thought I might need a full-size to really make any money and not tear up my truck.
It may just be a snow blower for now, and graduate to a full size truck and plow down the road.
Happy Plowing and wishes for an AWESOME 2007 for all.
Georgia in Colorado

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you want a good truck this season, PM me . I have a 96 Dodge and a 97 Dodge that would work great depending on your needs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts