Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a home this summer thinking i could handle the step hill.
Bought a 2003 Silverado Ext cab Z71 4WD on 265/70/R17 Grabber M+S with a nice sturdy Blizzard 760LT. Plowing only my own driveway.
Well, i have plowed up and down the hill even on ice pretty well. I even was able to break solid ice and go tthe hnag of even backing up my Driveway.
Except last night......in just fluffy 3 inches of powder in Danbury CT. Needless to say i went down the hill OK, was able to make it up OK the first time.
Upon my second and subsequent passes, i began to slide and even hung on my driveway...then slide down my driveway into the street...few times.

My problem is that although it was dead of night, i knew the rad was empty. What happens when i uncontraoolably side into traffic?
I am so upset because i thought my Chevy was a beast. I was wrong. what can i do to fix this?

1- get a wrangler jeep instead (all my neighbors have said i over-did it; way too much truck for a un-registered yard truck that never leaves the property)
The truck is just too big, wont fit my garage, i constantly back into edges and dent my Snowdogg salter)

2- change the tires from Grabbers to some stubby off road snow tires? if so, what should i get?

3- Chains? Diamond cross chains?

My whole goal is to not slide into the street into oncoming traffic and make it up my hill easily.
Attached is my driveway....and thats not the steepest part!!!

what should i do?

Screenshot_20191201-183246_Samsung Internet.jpg

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
The size of your truck isn’t going determine traction.
1) You want to add counter weight or ballast in the back of the truck this will improve handling.

2) chains will help with traction. Diamond, ladder, asymmetrical or studded. They will all work to give you more control on ice and snow. Square links are a good style for you. They won’t damage asphalt as much. And they wear better than vbars while giving superior traction.

3) to improve backing up get wider mirrors and maybe more backup lights to see the back better.

4) get the vehicle registered and insured since at some point you have clean the front of the driveway near the road. The last thing you want is to get hit by a vehicle on your road without insurance. That is just a nightmare.

5) your driveway to me looks like a two pass drive for road part not including the turn around. so, I am Curious why you are making so many passes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I plow our road. Much, much steeper than what you picture. Always with chain, but I’m on dirt. Have you added weight to the rear? I keep a few hundred pounds just inside the tailgate For better rear traction. Used to use a jeep, an old 1985... tore the rear end out of that pretty quick.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
I plow our road. Much, much steeper than what you picture. Always with chain, but I’m on dirt. Have you added weight to the rear? I keep a few hundred pounds just inside the tailgate For better rear traction. Used to use a jeep, an old 1985... tore the rear end out of that pretty quick.
how long is the road...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The size of your truck isn’t going determine traction.
1) You want to add counter weight or ballast in the back of the truck this will improve handling.

2) chains will help with traction. Diamond, ladder, asymmetrical or studded. They will all work to give you more control on ice and snow. Square links are a good style for you. They won’t damage asphalt as much. And they wear better than vbars while giving superior traction.

3) to improve backing up get wider mirrors and maybe more backup lights to see the back better.

4) get the vehicle registered and insured since at some point you have clean the front of the driveway near the road. The last thing you want is to get hit by a vehicle on your road without insurance. That is just a nightmare.

5) your driveway to me looks like a two pass drive for road part not including the turn around. so, I am Curious why you are making so many passes?

I dont know what the means. Do know that i plow it several passes to get the most snow off of it and down to the asphalt. Sadly my driveway is slightly domed so i mostly only get the middle off and not the sides. I like to practice going up and down it. I spend a good 30 min doing my runs pushing the snow into the embankment on the other side of the street. what is strange to me is that the more i plowed it, the slipperier it got. I'm really surprised at that.
I always thought that plowing took the snow off to the surface while in practice it really doesnt. I spread deicer afterwards.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
I dont know what the means. Do know that i plow it several passes to get the most snow off of it and down to the asphalt. Sadly my driveway is slightly domed so i mostly only get the middle off and not the sides. I like to practice going up and down it. I spend a good 30 min doing my runs pushing the snow into the embankment on the other side of the street. what is strange to me is that the more i plowed it, the slipperier it got. I'm really surprised at that.
I always thought that plowing took the snow off to the surface while in practice it really doesnt. I spread deicer afterwards.
yes, your plow can and will scrap all the snow off the driveway down to the surface. The question is your blade actually reaching the surface. The Important part is make sure your plow‘s height is adjusted where you want it. so on a level surface measure the height of the plow off the ground with a measuring tape.... you can find a manual for your plow on blizzardplow.com and that will help you to adjust it.

any snow you leave on the driveway and compress with vehicle will become hard pack.

that dome you speak of is called a crown. All roads are crowned to permit drainage and avoid erosion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, your plow can and will scrap all the snow off the driveway down to the surface. The question is your blade actually reaching the surface. The Important part is make sure your plow‘s height is adjusted where you want it. so on a level surface measure the height of the plow off the ground with a measuring tape.... you can find a manual for your plow on blizzardplow.com and that will help you to adjust it.

any snow you leave on the driveway and compress with vehicle will become hard pack.

that dome you speak of is called a crown. All roads are crowned to permit drainage and avoid erosion.
If you mean my shoes, they are adjusted to where they dont even touch the ground. Funny thing was that last months ice storm put a sheet of ice all the way down. As i would drop the plow it would cut the ice, then when i plowed the whole sheet of several feet would break and slide down the hill. This time it was the fluffy stuff and i slid all over.

i was thinkimg of attaching some rubber to the front of my blade to reach the ground where it crowns. No matter how many passes i do it never gets the snow off the sides where my wheels drive over, even as i angle the blade several directions. As for previous posts about my driveway, we had 2 different plow companies come by to tell us how mush they'd charge if i wasnt home and they both said NO, they wont even try it. One said even if he did it'd be $300.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way...i use my plow to help slow me down as i plow. If i replaced my blade with a urethane blade (to lower noise and wear on my asphalt) would I lose that resistance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you mean my shoes, they are adjusted to where they dont even touch the ground. Funny thing was that last months ice storm put a sheet of ice all the way down. As i would drop the plow it would cut the ice, then when i plowed the whole sheet of several feet would break and slide down the hill. This time it was the fluffy stuff and i slid all over.

i was thinkimg of attaching some rubber to the front of my blade to reach the ground where it crowns. No matter how many passes i do it never gets the snow off the sides where my wheels drive over, even as i angle the blade several directions. As for previous posts about my driveway, we had 2 different plow companies come by to tell us how mush they'd charge if i wasnt home and they both said NO, they wont even try it. One said even if he did it'd be $300.
if you shift the plow angle left or right, it should mitigate the crown....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude. With the truck on fat ground, and the blade full down, does the blade touch the ground? If not, there’s a problem. If it can’t reach the ground, or maybe an inch or so above it, you’re not sweeping deep enough to help your own traction going forward. Adjust your lift chain to allow it to cut down closer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude. With the truck on fat ground, and the blade full down, does the blade touch the ground? If not, there’s a problem...
The shoes are adjusted high. The blade fully touches the ground. I dont have a chain - its a Bliizzard so it floats fully when released 'down'. Its a heavy plow too. Thats why i'm worried about replacing the truck with something smaller and lighter like a blazer with a Western Mount or Curtiss, they're light. I'm not sure how it will work to keep the even lighter Blazer from sliding into the street.
I guess for the short term i will just get chains and see if that prevents me from losing traction with the Silverado.

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
The shoes are adjusted high. The blade fully touches the ground. I dont have a chain - its a Bliizzard so it floats fully when released 'down'. Its a heavy plow too. Thats why i'm worried about replacing the truck with something smaller and lighter like a blazer with a Western Mount or Curtiss, they're light. I'm not sure how it will work to keep the even lighter Blazer from sliding into the street.
I guess for the short term i will just get chains and see if that prevents me from losing traction with the Silverado.
chains will give you better traction. Also add weight to the rear of the truck to ensure all four wheels have maximum contact.

unless your plow is digging up your driveway you will not stop...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've recently read articles about putting windshield washer fluid in the tires? whats that about and does it work?
How do i get fluid IN a tire? what about freezing?

·
Banned
1,771 Posts
I've recently read articles about putting windshield washer fluid in the tires? whats that about and does it work?
How do i get fluid IN a tire? what about freezing?
well, most windshield wiper fluid in the tires will work like a tire weights. most windshield wiper fluid is rated to stay liquid to -20 so it won’t freeze. How you get it into the can be tricky. Usually you deflate the tire then inject into the tire like you are filling it up with air. Then top off with air until the tire is at the correct pressure.

i think chains and sand bags in the bed are your best bet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. I do want to say I forgot my phone had a level App, so I used it tonight.
Just for info - my driveway is 268 feet long and is mostly 13 degrees, with 15 at its worst point!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First step, put 2,000 pounds of sand in the back, that will help a lot. Since you are not driving the truck on the road, have the tires less that the maximum pressure. That gives you better traction as well. And you can go with something like this for the tires: https://www.amazon.com/MATCC-Emergency-Adjustable-Upgrade-6-5-10-8/dp/B081YJBVPV/ref=pd_sbs_60_4/138-1116037-2049348?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081YJBVPV&pd_rd_r=c1f41ae6-839c-4feb-b393-14d3aac5fcb4&pd_rd_w=OpPHx&pd_rd_wg=J1o4F&pf_rd_p=bdd201df-734f-454e-883c-73b0d8ccd4c3&pf_rd_r=3ZFV289DAAPFP1Z616MR&psc=1&refRID=3ZFV289DAAPFP1Z616MR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts