Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like there is a leak from the master cylinder or hose as there is a green spot in the snow where I park. Until the problem/part is fixed can I top off the fluid if it is too low, is there a way to see how full it is?

This is on my SnoWay MTD205420

I tried searching here and in googleville for a picture or go by. Any help is much appreciated :grinz

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Raise plow, place jack stand unde cutting edge. Inspect all hoses, both ends of cylinders. Chances are good that you have a loose fitting or cylinder seal. Possible that you have a hole in a hose, but that will show itself pretty easily.

Tighten loose fitting or cylinder seal. Top off fluid with LOW TEMP HYDRAULIC FLUID. Nothing else.

This is best done inside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hose going into the top of the master cylinder is covered with fluid, and the cylinder itself is about 1/4 covered. Even with the blade up and chocked the clearance is minimal. Is there any harm in flipping it over and up, blade side down so I can clean it and get a better look, or is it not happy going vertical?

Thanks for the help, we got a big snow storm and I plowed 8 hours or so without any problems so the amount I have lost so far must not be enough to keep it from functioning correctly. I am going to have a look at it tomorrow in my buddy's warm shop :D

How would I tighten the "cylinder seal" and what/where is that. I use the spendy Snoway fluid each season end so I will use that as my top off.

Thanks again! I am getting a deflector for the top of the plow this year so if I can fix this on my own instead of paying the mechanic that helps.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Put a wrench on all those fittings. I bet the one on the cylinder is loose. Spray etchings down with brake cleaner, wipe it off and raise, lower, angle, etc. re-inspect.

Top off fluid. Apply Fluid Film to manifold, fittings, connections, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is an "etching" ?:huh

Fluid Film looks like good stuff, I had not heard of that, wish I had been using it all these years. Thanks for bonus tip!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Damned autocorrect. Spray everything that has hydraulic fluid on it with brake cleaner and wipe it off.

If you tip the plow on the moldboard you are likely to empty the reservoir. Not the worst problem, but makes a mess.

After this exercise is complete spray everything with Fluid Film. I have heard that if you enter LTS at the appropriate time at the site in my sig there is a discount underway.

Buy the deflector ASAP. Shouldn't be set up without one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Auto correct, that's funny!! Almost as funny as me searching the web for references and or pics of "etchings" on my plow Lol.

I have plow dollies that I can build up a bit to get a better look underneath so I don't have to tip it over. Thanks for the tip on the deflector, I'm excited to see the difference it will make.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts