Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your plow that is! Just wondering how everybodys rigs are holding up? so far we've had no problems and have plowed about 5 times now. Hows your truck hangin in there?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Plows and trucks are great. Only plowed about 3" so far this season. Salter has gotten a good workout this year though.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My trucks getting a little tired(1990 F250) but its hanging in there so far.(knock on wood)Just had the front end u joints and ball joints replaced and now im hearing a rattling/vibrating type noise coming from the right front somewhere hoping to get that checked out as soon as we have a decent couple days.its done me well just gotta get past this season and it will be retired to a backup unit.:)

·
Registered
217 Posts
jt5019 ,
1st check the lugnuts!!!! Ive seen them come loose fast,
and you just had work done so they were off.

Check for a loose shock on that side, It can make quite a racket.
Also look at the spring eye bushings , esp at the front hanger.
These wear pretty bad on the 250's .

Hope this helps.
See ya Sat????

·
Registered
217 Posts
Oh, to answer your question Bill.

I think my fuel line is getting thin!
I seem to be running quite a bit of fuel through the beast lately!:D

No problems, just some new pin stripes from branches last storm.
:rolleyes:

Now Bill, Don't wash all your paint off the truck!
Later
Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
mines good now if meyers would only make a good plug connection that wouldnt come loose i would be even better;)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Gonna warm up to near 30 tomarrow so im going to take a look. I never even thought of the lugnuts.Not to sure what the spring eye bushings are but ill take a look anyways :p.At first i thought it was the front body mount(which was loose) but i tightened that up. My brother rode in the truck with me and he thought it sounded like a shock because it seems to do it the most when going over bumps but the shocks are new.Now it does it more often sometimes even just rolling.:confused:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
my truck seems to be running good now had a little problem with the injectors and went through an alternator but htats about it...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
My truck is running pretty good, even better now that I got new tires. The plow is the problem, I snapped off a mounting ear on the quadrant, that mounts to the moldboard again. Had the same thing happen last year, snapped at the weld, and was replaced by Western under warranty. Same thing happened with the last storm over the weekend, same ear that snapped too. I got a new quadrant on order again, at least it is still under warranty.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
JT5019

Check the metal/rubber "pins" that hold the brake caliper to teh caliper frame. My 350 goes through them like candy.

Everything holding up well. The diesel is now having a problem with fuel delivery(??). I'm thinking injector pump. Gwllling has been ruled out, lift pump seems ok, so now onto pump and/or injectors.

·
Registered
866 Posts
UUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

LOL! I guess plowing with an '88 I can expect problems- but we all started somewhere, and I do my damndest to keep my customers plowed and happy. I know for a while people were keeping track of my damages- here's a complete list before heading out to the fire station to prep for a pinewood derby then off to the garage to fix some more and get ready for tmo- lake effect all day- calling for possibly over a foot.

Big Nor easter to start the season-
Busted the bolts on my power steering pump- temporarily fixed that and hit the road
On the way back into town- nailed a deer at 35mph dead center in the plow- knocked a truck headlight loose- but no damge to plow or lights on plow frame
Replaced u-joints in front drive axles- 3.5 hours start to finish- not bad considering the rust I had to fight!
Replaced u-joint in front drive shaft- siezed up and started to vibrate something horrible!
Vibration caused bearing to go in pumpkin- starting to whine and vibrate, also caused seal to leak on pass side!!!:headwall :headwall
Last night lost my running lights- gotta go through the wiring now!!

Update- started this post before heading out- just got home- found three wiring problems, all fixed and lights are back.
Lake effect snow heading my way- guess I'll have to baby the front end and only use 4WD when needed- luckily have some pretty straight and easy runs to do. Oh, also mounted a new cutting edge today- what an improvement!! Noticed that my current one was starting to wear unevenly, wanted to get it on sooner, but can only do so much!!

Oh well- next year is already looking better- looking at some newer equipment, and have an offer froma friend who owns a used car dealership to help get a good truck. One day at a time I guess !! Hope everyone else is having better luck than me!!

Bill

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
BILL..........Bummer.......Your tearing that truck up !
But to be fair... your neck of the woods has been getting
CLOBBERED ! Your plowing a LOT more than me!

My only problem EVER is I smoked a transfer case
(warranty free fix) this year. Thats ok... I have had it
almost 3 yrs. and will trade it in in the spring before
warranty expires and get a new one.
Heck it only has 28,000 miles !

Western plow on its 3rd HARD NY winter has worked
flawless !!!!!!!!!! So no regrets on that purchase !
My last Western was on 3 new GM trucks in 10 winters!
BTW: That Western I sold to my buddy and he is still
working it !

.............geoplowing!

·
Registered
93 Posts
We've had really good luck this season, so far. Haven't had any mechanical problems yet, knock on wood. :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well the trucks are not getting the beating this yr yet. We have only plowed twice and ten saltings.( not bad on the salting side)

·
Registered
224 Posts
slplow said:
Well the trucks are not getting the beating this yr yet. We have only plowed twice and ten saltings.( not bad on the salting side)
i'm right down the road.....2 times here as well. i'll have more salting contract next year .....

broke the lower shifter assy for the t-case...been doing a little preventive maitnence as well......

·
Registered
36 Posts
2 good plowings, a run at scraping 1 1/2". Truck's running great, replaced push beam(9'fisher) - bent before buying though and thought I could get away with fixing it...WRONG...and 1 broken spark plug, an easyout and 2' of pipe fixed that one...not bad for an '86 K30.

Not a scratch on the new paint on the truck yet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Truck and plow (Fisher) are running fine........It's the operator that's the problem, that and oak trees keep jumping in back of me.............. got a few oops this year. Spent some time Saturday glueing my taillight back together, bent in the bumbper and two good dents above the taillight....Now it looks like a plow truck;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Truck and plow were running fine until today. I got stuck pretty good :headwall but managed to get it out. When I got it out I noticed I was leaking tranny fluid. From what I could tell it was comming out of the front of the tranny. Anyway the trucks going in first thing tomorrow so we'll see.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Been a decent season so far,until the last storm.Lost a motor in one truck on monday,just got it back in service yesterday.Needed a carb rebuild too,and a few other little things.

Just got back from a quick ride in my Dodge,and the brakes are grinding....:headwall

I got the shop just full of cars,looks like I'll be doing it outside. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts