Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know I am gonna sound a bit dumb here, but how do you stack snow? I was thinking just raising the blade as you drive into a pile, but saw something on here about that being a good way to get stuck.:huh

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stacking should be done with loaders, not your truck.

I think everyone has gotten stuck trying to stack at least once. That's when you're running into a pile that's frozen and you get the truck stuck ontop of it.

You can stack small amounts, but you have to be careful not to force the plow up too far, it wasn't designed for that.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ive stacked snow up to 10' high Like you said raise the blade when you hit the pile. You will see the snow that you have already on the blade push the snow thats on the bank. Dont go to far in because you will get stuck. You just have to play around and see whats good for you and your truck just dont ram in to banks like i see a lot of plowers do around here thats what the loaders and bobcats are for.

Rich :burnout

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
also, on a long push when you back off the speed, the plow is more free to rise. As you back off at the end, time a small raise on your plow and the stack will form. You may throw a little power to it as you see the plow rising to stack higher. If you go too much your plow will ride the snow up, and your momentum will carry you up the snowbank like a hill. Next thing you know, your front wheels are high centered on the snowbank. If you use only 1 set of chains, put them on the back. You will rarely need to get unstuck by going forward.
How's that for a disertation???

:grinz

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Like 76chevyman said, just play around with it and you'll figure out what works for you and your equipment. To start, push some snow where you want the pile. Make sure to push well into the area to leave room for more to come. If you're windrowing, straighten your blade before you get to the pile. Go slow and start to lift the blade as the truck starts to bog down. Keep all four wheels on the ground. Climbing the pile can come later. With wet snow, pretty soon you'll have a pile of snow about 8-10' high. Pretty soon you'll get good at it and want to slam into it or climb the pile to stack higher. Then you get to experience buying a new transmission or (more often) calling a tow truck.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you use the momentum to "throw" the snow into the pile,you don't have to push as much up into the pile using the truck.

I usually plow quite fast,and approach the pile about 15-20 mph.As you approach the pile,hit the brakes,and start to lift the blade.You only need to lift the blade for a second,it will ride up and do the rest.If your going fast enough,the snow will stay moving ahead of the truck,and fly up over the pile.The truck then follows the snow into the pile to complete the stacking and stop the snow from falling back.Before you reverse,lift the plow to extend to lift cyl so you don't drag half the snow back out with the blade.

Once you get the hang of it,it's pretty easy.Here is a shot of some of my piles. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yes, as you let off the gas, bump the blade up a little, it will let a little of the snow out from under it, and the plow should be able to start riding up the bit of snow, making the pile taller. Lettering the plow ride up the snow is much easier on the plow motor than trying to jsut lift a bladeful of snow.

Obviously, with wet snow, this doesn't work as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You got the idea phoenix. Here's a nice pic of Jonhny D's truck (before the Blizzard 810 and sidewing) pushing some snow up a pile. :burnout

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
You know the worst stuck I ever got was stacking.I drove into a pile pulling my blade up and pushed what I had in my blade and most of the top of a big pile up over the top and my plow dropped over the other side of the pile with me and my wild willy's high side in the center of the pile.Since then I dont stack I just push into the pile and if I need a loader on site I get one.

My personal property has a stream I push into.Its the coolest thing as quick as I can push it in the stream it is removed as if there was an onsite melter.

I never had good luck staking it seems to abusive to the truck,May just be because I dont know how to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stacking with truck

I use to stack with my truck all the time, but, I've realized that when I subcontracting for someone else that I don't get paid enough to do their stacking for them. Loaders are for stacking, trucks are for plowing.
If you don't have a loader to use for your lots, then you have to do what it takes. There's usually more money to compensate for the wear and tear.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
This is what you should see from the drivers seat!:D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
And after you back away from the pile

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is nothing better than seeing snow over the blade when plowing/stacking!plowing!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts