Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to numerous requests,I'm posting this here.I would normally recommend you have your dealer do this,but some guys just don't trust them,or are too far away.

Blizzard Flush

Wear eye protection. Make sure the plow is securely blocked up when indicated, and keep your self out from under the plow just in case it drops. You will need about 5 quarts of low temp plow fluid, and a case of beer (see last paragraph).Probably best to pick up two gallon jugs of fluid, so you’ll have some leftover just in case of a leak.

Angle the plow all the way to the left, and all the way up. Extend the wings all the way out. Block plow in the up position under the a-frame so it can still angle. Remove pump cover. Remove drivers side angle hose and place into an empty gallon jug. Using the plow control, angle the plow to the right ,and it will pump the fluid out of the reservoir. Once empty (as soon as it starts to spit out air) stop. Remove reservoir and clean out dirt and debris. Check and clean\replace filters as needed. Make sure they are securely mounted, and pointing down. Now is a good time to install an inlet filter brace, or use heatshrink to secure the inlet filter. Reinstall reservoir and refill with clean new low temp fluid. Reservoir and pump are now done.

With the drivers side angle hose still off, bump plow to the right until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall hose, and angle plow the plow all the way to the right. Remove the passenger side angle cylinder hose, and place it in your container. Bump plow to the left until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall the hose. Angle plow back to center. Angle rams and hoses are now flushed.

If you don’t have a Power plow, you can skip this step! Remove all 4 wing cylinder hoses (mark them!),and place them into a jug or bucket. Extend the wings one at a time until clean fluid comes out each hose. It only takes 1-2 seconds per wing. Now retract both wings until clean fluid comes out each hose. Install the retract hoses only (the inner ports).Now retract the wings slowly by bumping them back in, with a bucket under the fittings to catch the dirty fluid expelled from the rams. Now connect the extend hoses. The wing cylinders and hoses are now flushed.

For this part, you can flip the plow control switch up to the power hitch position. The hose fittings are easier to reach from under the a-frame. Remove the lift cylinder retract hose on the passenger side, and bump the power hitch switch down for a second or two to flush the hose. Use a bucket under it to catch the fluid. Now reconnect the hose. Remove the lift cylinder extend hose (the one at the front of the ram, drivers side). The plow may drop some, and fluid will squirt out, so make sure it is securely supported. Now run the power hitch all the way down, and it will pump the dirty fluid out of the lift cylinder. With the fitting still loose a few turns, raise the plow for a second or two using the power hitch switch, until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Use a bucket under the lift cylinder to catch the fluid. Now retighten the hose. The lift cylinder and hoses are now flushed.

Flip the plow control switch back to normal operation. Raise the plow all the way up and remove your blocking. Drop the plow and recheck fluid level. It should be even with the top line molded in the reservoir. Run the plow up\down\left\right, and operate the wings in an out to bleed any remaining air out. Recheck fluid level and top off. Double check all fittings to make sure they are tight, and aren’t leaking. Your done. Drink your beer (unless snow is in the immediate forecast).

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic of the way I keep the inlet filter on and in place.Without this it can spin upside down,and suck air.You can also remove everything and clean it up,and use some good heatshrink to lock it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Chris,

Any chance that this can be made into a sticky post. I know that I will be looking to do a flush at the end of the season, easier with the instructions in front of me.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jbutch83 said:
Chris,

Any chance that this can be made into a sticky post. I know that I will be looking to do a flush at the end of the season, easier with the instructions in front of me.

Thanks
Sure,I can sticky it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
I thought you just had to push down on the handle.:weirdthre
Thanks Mark, I guess I had that one coming after all the skid steer jokes. Pretty good one there.;)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Chris thanks for the sticky, good info to have.

But the title had me going for a while.. How to flush a Blizzard ( is right up there with going to Erie to meet a bunch of guys I met on the internet.) I had a bad fealing you were going to put one in the toilet. LOL

Rich;)

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Tileman said:
Chris thanks for the sticky, good info to have.

But the title had me going for a while.. How to flush a Blizzard ( is right up there with going to Erie to meet a bunch of guys I met on the internet.) I had a bad fealing you were going to put one in the toilet. LOL

Rich;)
Nope, he left that to me. :grinz

John, didn't matter what was in the thread, I just couldn't pass it up. Hadn't even seen your post until after I did.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks!

Need this this weekend to get all the ATF out of my plow:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Chris, good idea on the filter holder. That's another option.

That 680/720 pump that you have there should get some oversized washers put onto the resivoir to keep the face sealed better too. We don't see them spin on the 680/720's that much.

We have been using a regular small size hose clamp on the filter tube with good sucess. Less screwing around than adding the holder strap and tie wraps.

Jerre

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Would it work to solder that filter on like that? Or plastic weld it maybe?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is an 810 pump.

I've tried the hose clamp deal,and we had a few failures,the plastic 90 fitting split in the cold temps.Maybe it was too tight,I don't know,but once I see a failure,I'll never do it that way again.

It does take a few extra mins to bend up a piece of steel,and bolt it on,but it's the most reliable method I have found.The heatshrink works good too,but you have to make sure everything is spotless and clean.There isn't much area for the heatshrink to grab though,even if you move the wire clamp back tight against the pump.I still think it could turn if the heatshrink doesn't get a good grab on the hose or fitting.

Mark - I tried various glues,epoxies,and silicones,with limited success.The elbow is made from some kind of plastic which is very tough to glue,and the hose is difficult stuff too.Silicone seemed to work the best,but long term the oil will most likely eat it up.

The little metal bracket is simple,and haven't seen any problems yet.All you need to do is cut the one zip tie to get the filter off for cleaning or replacement.You can make it out of any thin metal.I use the predrilled strapping,as it's easy to cut and bend,holes are predrilled,and it's just stiff enough to do the job.It takes no longer than a minute or two to make and install one.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filter can be cleaned if it's not too bad.If in doubt replace it.

The magnet is easily cleaned off,no need to replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Due to numerous requests,I'm posting this here.I would normally recommend you have your dealer do this,but some guys just don't trust them,or are too far away.

Blizzard Flush

Wear eye protection. Make sure the plow is securely blocked up when indicated, and keep your self out from under the plow just in case it drops. You will need about 5 quarts of low temp plow fluid, and a case of beer (see last paragraph).Probably best to pick up two gallon jugs of fluid, so you’ll have some leftover just in case of a leak.

Angle the plow all the way to the left, and all the way up. Extend the wings all the way out. Block plow in the up position under the a-frame so it can still angle. Remove pump cover. Remove drivers side angle hose and place into an empty gallon jug. Using the plow control, angle the plow to the right ,and it will pump the fluid out of the reservoir. Once empty (as soon as it starts to spit out air) stop. Remove reservoir and clean out dirt and debris. Check and clean\replace filters as needed. Make sure they are securely mounted, and pointing down. Now is a good time to install an inlet filter brace, or use heatshrink to secure the inlet filter. Reinstall reservoir and refill with clean new low temp fluid. Reservoir and pump are now done.

With the drivers side angle hose still off, bump plow to the right until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall hose, and angle plow the plow all the way to the right. Remove the passenger side angle cylinder hose, and place it in your container. Bump plow to the left until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Reinstall the hose. Angle plow back to center. Angle rams and hoses are now flushed.

If you don’t have a Power plow, you can skip this step! Remove all 4 wing cylinder hoses (mark them!),and place them into a jug or bucket. Extend the wings one at a time until clean fluid comes out each hose. It only takes 1-2 seconds per wing. Now retract both wings until clean fluid comes out each hose. Install the retract hoses only (the inner ports).Now retract the wings slowly by bumping them back in, with a bucket under the fittings to catch the dirty fluid expelled from the rams. Now connect the extend hoses. The wing cylinders and hoses are now flushed.

For this part, you can flip the plow control switch up to the power hitch position. The hose fittings are easier to reach from under the a-frame. Remove the lift cylinder retract hose on the passenger side, and bump the power hitch switch down for a second or two to flush the hose. Use a bucket under it to catch the fluid. Now reconnect the hose. Remove the lift cylinder extend hose (the one at the front of the ram, drivers side). The plow may drop some, and fluid will squirt out, so make sure it is securely supported. Now run the power hitch all the way down, and it will pump the dirty fluid out of the lift cylinder. With the fitting still loose a few turns, raise the plow for a second or two using the power hitch switch, until clean fluid comes out of the hose. Use a bucket under the lift cylinder to catch the fluid. Now retighten the hose. The lift cylinder and hoses are now flushed.

Flip the plow control switch back to normal operation. Raise the plow all the way up and remove your blocking. Drop the plow and recheck fluid level. It should be even with the top line molded in the reservoir. Run the plow up\down\left\right, and operate the wings in an out to bleed any remaining air out. Recheck fluid level and top off. Double check all fittings to make sure they are tight, and aren’t leaking. Your done. Drink your beer (unless snow is in the immediate forecast).
Thanks! have been looking for some instructions!
This helps!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts