Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you question how can Sima help me. Is it worth the money? I'm a small contractor, can it really help me? The answer to all those questions is YES!!!
I intend to become more active in Sima after the winter, right now i'm just too busy with my business to give them the time I want to give them.

Okay here goes with the reason behind this post. I ordered their broshures on how to hire a snow contractor and put one in each of my bid proposals along with some other I items I thought would add to my professionalism. I have gotten many contracts this year but no one mentioned why. Like was it my pricing, proposal, presentation. Well yesturday I got a call from a consultant company that I submitted bids on 2 subdivisions they represent. I received both contracts. They told me I was not the low bid on either one but they were inpressed with my bid package and were very inpressed that I included the Sima broshure. They found it very informative, and showed that my company had the professionalism that they were looking for in a snow removal company.

Thanks Sima!!!!!!!! Those 2 contracts more than paid for those broshures and my membership to Sima. Well they will pay for alot more too. Plus I still have plenty to use next year.payup

Ray

·
Registered
3 Posts
All my bids I got too, and they were the highest of them all. Ive made a good name for myself in town, got reliable equipment, and have a lifetime of experience. Ive looked into joining SIMA, but cant see spending the $$$ for 6 issues of a magazine (although the articles are great, dont mean to knock anyone in here), an invitation to a meeting I cant make it to, because its too far away, a bunch of brochures from member vendors I already get and dont want, and a mentor. My friends from here and other towns help me out, theres no competition, tons of work, and we all share routes. A customer (contract lawyer by trade) wrote my contract with me. The only thing (I think) I should know more about is deicing, but people dont want to pay/dont care here, either. Ive tried liquid mag, magic salt, calcium, etc. and nobody cares....might as well use salt or sand.
Now comes the apology......I respect everyone here, think there is a TON of knowledge flying around, MUCH bigger companies than mine, really enjoy reading the posts, been holding off a long time to write this, but after 2 years of researching SIMA, noone has given me a good reason to join. I think its great someone started it for others, just dont know why I should be one. Can someone finally convince me? Ive even talked on the phone with them 4 times....still no sale. I just dont understand what you get that you dont already have, I guess.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Ray I agree with you, before I joined SIMA I thought what can they do for me? once I got involved and made contacts with people it took off. If youve never been to the Symposium your missing a wild show and the knowledge gained is awsome. You get out what you put in and its turned my business around completely.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
"All my bids I got too, and they were the highest of them all. Ive made a good name for myself in town, got reliable equipment, and have a lifetime of experience."

"I respect everyone here, think there is a TON of knowledge flying around, MUCH bigger companies than mine, really enjoy reading the posts,"

"Can someone finally convince me?"

Hammerdown,

Seems like these are all conflicting statements. Your post reads that you do not need anyones help, but have the help of all the guys around you, you have done it all, know it all, with a life time of experience, but yet you are reading to see with others are doing, and even took the time to call SIMA 4 times. Are you really saying the you can not afford the membership, or you just do not like the idea of having to say that you ask someone else about how to do business?

Have you not already convinced yourself?? A person like you would have a wealth of experience to pass on to others and that alone might be so rewarding it would make the membership worth something.

As the industry changes so does the way you are doing business. If you already have a well established business maybe, just maybe, SIMA might have something to offer you in maintaining your business. Lets just hope that some SIMA guy does not start up a new business in Maine and give some of your customers a reason to think about making a choice.

There is more than one company out there that was making tons of money last year, and going out of business this year. With the service industry here today gone tommorow is something we should all be thinking about.

In most cases our Clients do have a choice and owe us nothing more then paying the bill when it comes. All the time I am hearing, "We did such a great job last year. Why not renew with us? Don't you think you owe us that for doing such a great job?"
No, they only owe it to themself to continue to make the best choice for there business, and like it or not sometime there are companies out there that WILL do as good as you did for less and sometimes that is all it take to lose a client.

Although having an established business name should be enough, at the end of the day it comes done to a business choice. Customers move, companies are sold, new mangerment comes in, and everyone is always trying to save money. If SIMA helps me stay out in front by offering up to date methods and help professionalize my business than the membership is worth it.

Hammerdown, Thanks for convincing me that I made a good choice in joining SIMA and for understanding what others in the business are thinking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dont want to get "all my bids", since then I would assume I am really underpricing. I dont want to lose them all, since I would realize I was pricing myself out of business. I would be happy getting 50 % of the jobs I bid on.

SIMA is awesome, I never quit learning from all those involved !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.