Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much salt can you carry in your truck. I have a 3/4 Ton GMC short Box and next year i might get into plowing and salting on my own.

I work for a company now and we have a GMC 3500 SRW diesel with a monroe v salter in it and usually we load it up right to the top and then some with salt. When we ran out of salt from local salt yards last year the guy who plows went to another site that was maybe an hours drive.

So for my truck seeing as a yard of salt is usually 2200 lbs aka a ton of salt. My salter would be capable of carrying 2 yards but can my truck carry that ?

Do i have the weight ratio correct a yard is aka as 1 ton ? Thats 4400 lbs in the back of my truck plus a 700lb salter thats alot of weight. omg

A 3500 ok it can take more then a ton just like a 2500 can take 1 ton.

Sorry huge posting... I have allot to say...

Help a Brotha out would ya :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sound like it may be pushing it over the limit, but here is how you can figure out how much your truck rear end can legally carry. Drive your truck (unloaded) to a scale and weight only the rear axle and make note of it. Then look at the door jamb for RAWR and subtract the difference. There, you will know how much load you can carry on rear of truck legally, but I know that alot of people overload it. It probably would be ok to overload just a bit for a short period of time, but not too much. I think that manufacturers usually would put in a fudge factor when calculating the axle rating. Just be careful. Remember that braking distane is also increased too.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The place's i want to plow next year are all 10mins maybe 15 mins drive in snow weather. I can get salt locally for a higher price then going 40 mins on Hiways and city streets $23 more locally for salt.

the GWVR is 8800 around that mark. I havent weighted the ass end yet.

So pay more for salt do more trips for salt but not as much stress on the truck.

You keep the plow on to counter balance the weight of the salt or is that too heavy a Fisher 8.5 V ?

Dave..

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
My 88, K3500 weighs in at around 7700 without the plow and 8600 with both plow and spreader. With only an 8600lb GVW I'm just about overloaded before I load up. I just went through some of last years slips and the highest I found was 11,480.

Maybe it's not legal, but you do what ya gotta do. Under 11K the truck doesn't feel real bad, but once you get over the you can tell it's just not happy.

Right now I'm running 235/85R16 E range tires. I checked my rear axle weight and with about 10500 on I'm very close to tire capacity. I think there are E rated 265s made so when I need new rubber I'll give them a try.

I tried to find 19.5" wheels with the 8 hole pattern to fit my hubs, that would get me past the tire capacity problem. No luck on that quest though.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alan

I got stock size rubbers. 245/75/R16 and they are E ply i know that cuz trying to pump them up at a gas station takes an hour.. I give in after 10 mins thou and say screw it..

Do you run your tires at 80PSI with the plow and salter on the truck ?

My door pannel says 65 front and 80 rear.. Now thats if i have a load in the back which i usuly dont. I keep the back and front at 70ish usualy and it rides like a hay wagon cuz of now weight in the back except the tailgate. Amazing how much the gate makes a diffence when you have it off the back bounces around on rail way tracks and bumps.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I inflate to whatever the maximum pressure is on the tire sidewall, all the time, front and rear. I never know when I'm going to load the truck heavy and absolutely hate to run on soft tires. By going maximum pressure I'm getting all the capacity the tire is capable of.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You gotta be careful with a pickup,as you don't have much legal weight carrying capacity left,even worse if you have a plow on.

While the truck will most likely carry the weight,MTO will nail you big time.They have run biltzes every winter now looking just for overloaded pickups.That why I use bigger trucks for salt,and you see so many F450,and 550's now,as they can carry more material,and still be legal.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
19.5's for a SRW are out there but are pretty costly.....

http://www.ricksontruck.com/

I hear there is another co called aap that has em? I think alcoa is making or will be making them soon

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wyldman said:
You gotta be careful with a pickup,as you don't have much legal weight carrying capacity left,even worse if you have a plow on.
Hey Chris i am not so worried about MTO because i dont plan on doing much Hi Way drive unless i have to go to Fransini Bros's at Cawthra.

I would like to stick to my home base area to start out next year.

Internatinal Landscapeing is selling salt, well treated salt. depending on how much they charge i would buy from them or Petrie's & Childs. Both places are 15 to 20 mins tops and i have to travel side streets or i can go straight down Trafalgar to lower base line 15 km tops from my house. I havent seen MTO on Trafalgar rd ever.

I dont want to put allot of weight on my truck and mess it up as its a personal truck.

So then paying $20 more for salt and beeing able to take more with me is better then paying a $500 fine to MTO ?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Your truck can carry up to what your plates say. That will make you illegal going over them.

A ¾ ton can carry 2 tons of salt and the v box safely.

A 1 ton can carry 2¼ tons safely.

I've weighed my 3/4 ton in at well over 12,000# fully dressed fully loaded. My plates limit me to BL18--18,000 GCVW beyond local. Now we all know a ¾ton truck cannot handle that much weight, but within reason it can hold 2-2½ tons of salt.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Around here the MTO uses the door sticker for legal weights.I have my truck registered for more,but if I'm over the GVWR,or any of the axle weights,they will write me up.Big $$$.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Wyldman is right. Trust me, you don't want to get an overweight fine. I did. It was not cheap, nor was it convenient. The officer made me dump about half of my load, so I was legal, besides issuing me a ticket, based on some formula that even he did not know how it was derived, for over $700.00. He told me I could go to court and they would most likely cut it in half. Sure enough I showed up and they cut it in half, but I also lost about 5 hours of time.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
If you can't go over the door sticker you shouldn't be able to register higher than it.

Around here we can go to what the plates say, but we can also register a ¾ton for 24,000 gvw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you want to put salt on that vehicle be prepared to be stopped by the truck cops. There are scales both east and westbound at Trefalgar on the 401, therefore it is safe to assume they will be looking for scale jumpers in the vicinity. Vehicles registered over 4500 kg require annual and daily saftey inspections. You will also require a CVOR number. Once your truck is registered over 4500 kg it is a commercial vehicle and every minute you drive it counts as on duty. MTO conducts facility audits to inspect your records for times as well as maintenance. Still want to put salt on that 3/4 ton truck? All these rules still apply if your truck weighs in over 4500 even if it isn't licenced for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by Lawngodfather
If you can't go over the door sticker you shouldn't be able to register higher than it.
Here in Maine, we cannot go over the door sticker either. That is what the truck was designed to carry safely. We have to register the trucks to include trailers too (GCVW). For example, our HD3500's have a door sticker that states 6000 lbs for the front axle, 10000 lbs for the rear, but not to exceed 15000 total. We frequently haul 10000 lbs trailers, so the trucks are registered for 25000 lbs. If the trucks themselves weigh over 15000, we are illegal (although most 800 units are ok with +10%).

Another thing in Maine that they are big on is commercial inspection stickers and trailer inspection stickers. They are a hassle, but a great tool to keep everyone on the road safe.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I keep missing out on the MTO lecture at my local Landscape Ontario chapter. Trucks rated over 4500kg need the commercial sticker. Is that GCVWR? Or GVWR?

My GVWR is 9200lbs or 4173kg so I don't have enough capacity to go over a GVWR of 4500kg even if I wanted to.

Before the end of the lawn season I weighed my truck with trailer and mowing equipment, and guys, and fuel and it came in just under 4500kg total.

Yesterday, going on my first salt run I loaded 2yds into my AirFlo stainless and weighed my truck with the Fisher 8'6" V on as well. Weighed in at 4940kg...too heavy.

Looks like I'll have to load up without the plow on, and even then limit myself to 1 - 1.5yds tops.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
diginahole said:
If you want to put salt on that vehicle be prepared to be stopped by the truck cops. There are scales both east and westbound at Trefalgar on the 401, therefore it is safe to assume they will be looking for scale jumpers in the vicinity. Vehicles registered over 4500 kg require annual and daily saftey inspections. You will also require a CVOR number. Once your truck is registered over 4500 kg it is a commercial vehicle and every minute you drive it counts as on duty. MTO conducts facility audits to inspect your records for times as well as maintenance. Still want to put salt on that 3/4 ton truck? All these rules still apply if your truck weighs in over 4500 even if it isn't licenced for it.

Diginahole

I havent seen any of those MTO cops ever on Trafalgar. I would be going from Derry Rd south to Lower Base line. The route i take to work every morning is from Derry rd south to the Qew in Oakville. I hear what your saying and i dont think i would overload my truck.
I'm very aware of those truck stops i am also aware of Halton cops to. I blew a yellow turned into red light last year at 11pm and i didnt see the cop until i was halfway through and sure enough he follwed me onto the on ramp on the 401 at James Snow pkwy.. No ticket he was cool :)

There is a Coast guard office on Trafalgar before Dundas. Maybe if the road is wet enough they could catch me...

Thanks for the Answears guys much appriciated as always..

Should i keep the Plow on thou when getting salt ? The front will be up in the Air with 1.5 yards salt in the back.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One more quickie...

Is it good to plow with salt in the salter ? I duno lets say you load up a yard of salt and plow with that, or the salt kind of movieng to the front and back no good the truck or how the salter is fastned inside the truck ?

Thanks...

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
That's a lot of unneeded weight to carry while plowing

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
A quickie? :wink omg

Yes, I would think that it's very good. You want to be heavy, the salt won't move around much, and the vbox better be strapped down good, or else you would run into problems.

The more mass you have while plowing, the more momentum you will have, thus, you will be able to push a little better, since the frictional and inertial force of the snow won't have as large of an effect on you. Look at your county's trucks, them suckers are loaded to like 27000#, they are essentially 2wd, they push those 10+ foot blades with relative ease!
plowing!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts