Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I'm new here and have been searching the threads for any recomendations oh how much balast I should have in the bed of my truck. Unfortunatly I had no luck and there is nothing in my owners manual for the plow about it. I have an 01 chevy 2500HD Dmax/alison with a meyer C7.5 plow. Can some one enlighten me?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was told 1/2 - 3/4 weight of plow! This is with back of truck cleaned out! Weight of every-thing you put in back! Keep total weight below gvwr of truck! Keep as much all the way in the back!

·
Registered
132 Posts
theres some guys here that may be able to provide a more technical answer. But for me I keep at least 400 pounds of salt , plus the weight of my wester salter(tailgate salter) . The weight is past the axle, towards the tailgate, not over the axle.
Mine seems to ride nice... hope this helps
:canada :burnout

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
400# is a good starting point. Like Pro Property, most guys carry salt all the time, so the amount of ballast changes constantly as they apply and load up with more salt. Try 5 or 6 80# bags of salt and see how the truck sits (with the plow up) and drives.

~Chuck

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
As long as you have good winter tires you probabbly could go lighter on the ballast. I have 2, 50 gallon containers full of bulk salt for ballast and they work great!! Have no idea how heavy it is but has to be pretty heavy.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Even with good tires,lots of ballast helps balance the truck,and keep the rear wheels plated.

Like most have said,400 pounds is a good starting point.I'd run more if it's a long truck,like an ext cab long box.My truck (ext cab long box) is terrible unless I have 7-800 pounds in the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. 400 lbs sounds like a good place to start. I can tweek it as needed. That is a little over 1/2 the plow weight.

Thanks again,
Poolrebel

Fyi = ext cab short box

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.