Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a development that hasnt had the second coat of black top yet so the manhole covers stick up pretty high. Today I marked them all with flags so I knew where they where but how whould you plow with them? Ive thought about back dreagging over them and then continue to plow or shovel them out. Thanks alot!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd just plow around them,not over the top.If the snow was really deep,then I might try and scrape the top off.

Are they all in the centre ? are there catch basins on either side ?

I'm sure a urethane edge would help too,so the plow would ride over them easier if you happened to catch one.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
There is no good way to plow a street that has manholes covers raised .If they where not going to put the second coat on then they should of tared around them.It's more there responsability than yours and I would make that known about how clean you will be able to get it because of them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I mark them and plow around them if I can. I had a self store place that didn't have the top coat on yet and I placed red stickers on the doors of the units in line with the manhole cover so I knew where to watch out. But no good deed goes unpunished :D and missed one, WOW what a hit. Sheared the bolts off of a section of bucket blade on the 580. You never think your going to fast untill something like that.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I am with Cat. Tell them to asphalt around the manhole covers, if they are being left up all winter.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
if you cant get them to asfalt around them before winter i would definatly look at getting a u-edge this way if ya do end up hitting one ya wont hit the steering wheel but otherwise i would try to plow around them...

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
A U edge definately makes this a simpler job. I had a subdivision last year in this condition. I'd stake them out like you suggested, then I pull up to the basin easy 'til the plow hits, then bump the plow up over it and drop the plow again on the other side.

It's slow going, but price the job accordingly. The U edge eliminates the need to bump up the plow, it will ride over the basin with little effect on your truck, you still need to go easy.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
There was a local incident recently whereby a teacher walking to her car in the school parking lot fell into a 15 foot manhole after the cover was knocked off when the parking lot was plowed. Broke her leg, etc.

Make sure that you cover yourself 100% from a liability standpoint, because since you know upfront that the covers are more prone to be ripped up, it is quite possible that you would be held to a much lower standard of accountability (ie: since you know they are in a position to be ripped off more easily than if the blacktop was complete, you will need to use "extra" prudent care in making sure that you don't rip one off, because you won't be able to say "I didn't know about it")

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would plow around them unless they put asphalt around them or If you decide to go with a u-edge then I would consider going over them depending how far they were sticking up

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I would put a orange cone on each one, and plow around them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Any other trippable plow....Plow right over them. That's why the plow trips! :rolleyes:

But if your using your BOSS V, (which will NOT trip) you have to use caution. I plowed several miles of road just like you mention. I even plowed it for 2 years after they final coated it. You STILL had to watch as even a 1/2" lip on a manhole cover would wreck havoc on my BOSS.

If they're close to the curb, I'd simply go around them. If they're in the main traffic lane, then you almost have to lift slightly and skim over them. They'll melt whatever snow you leave on them all by themselves (heat). I marked mine with flags at the curb. Helped on the heavy snows where you often times couldn't see the curbs let alone a raised manhole!!!

Good Luck!

Don't bend up that BOSS!

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Urethane

·
Registered
866 Posts
Uerthane and mark each individual one- might take some extra work to mark them and map them, but it will be worth it in the long run. I would also talk to who ever the contract is for and advise them that you will be going around them- especially if they are raised up like that. Just out of curiosity- how high are they raised from the current road surface? I'm assumiong about 3/4 to 1" if it's typical road construction - there is usually 3/4-1" of topcoat over the binder in my area, and that hieght will wreak havoc on any plow. One of the gas stations I do has raised rings around their tank fills, and they are tapered, but even with my trip edge I hit them pretty hard, I usually end up back dragging over them a few times unless we've gotten enough snow to fill in the voids around them, then I can go over them straight until they get cleaned out and melted off agian.

Urethane will definitely cushion the blow- but if they are over 1/2" high, mark them, make a map of them- you will have to replace the markers during the season, almost gauranteed- and plow around them until you have enough of a base built up so that you can plow over them.

Bill

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I marked all the covers with construction flags and painted the rim of them bright orange so I will just take my time and oh yeah I ordered a u-edge from Dino today!:cash

1 - 14 of 14 Posts