Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making a small (55 gallon) liquid deicing rig and need to know what kind of stuff i need. Pump,hose what kind of nozles etc. If you could post some picks too.... Walt

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Sorry to bring back such an old thread. Do you have any more pictures of your setup? Electric or gas motor? I am considering a liquid deicing setup this year, something like 50 gal in the front of the box, small enough a pallet of 50's can be loaded behind it. Pemanent hoses down through the floor to a boom mounted under the rear bumper, with interchangable nozzles for fan/stream. How big is your pump (pressure/GPM)? You setup looks slick, hope you don't mind if I copy it...

Any know what the application rate for Mag Chloride solution is as far as Gal/Acre for pretreatment/deicing? Assuming deicing will take much more.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought teejet nozzles and did all the math but never got any farther...:scramble I figured it out to be about 43 gallos per acre with Ice-Ban or Magic, not sure of the rate for any other liquid but i would think in that area somewhere. I got teejet 730924 nozzles which will put out .73 gpm @ 25psi going 5 mph i figured i would get an electric pump areound 100 bucks and use a 1x1 square tube as a boom.. or 1 inch blackpipe. you can buy the things that clip around the blackpipe at farm stores that hold nozzles.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
I would be using Mag Chloride, the only thing available from the distributor here. The idea behind it is if I get the seasonals I'm bidding on (very likely), to pretreat them. The other idea is to use the liquid mag chloride to give the rock salt a kick start. The problem last year was at 15 degrees, you spread rock salt, and the crap just sits there on top of the snow/ice and never gets started. The though process is to be able to spray a light mist over an application of rock salt and speed up the melting process. Kinda like creating my own version of ice ban or magic salt, neither of which is available up here. Just trying to find ways to have more effective/faster deicing. The other idea is to have a fan nozzle mounted on the tailgate spreader to spray the salt as its dropping down onto the spinner, but I'm affraid of how much of a mess I'm going to create with this method. The 575 isn't exactly designed for that, and there's very little room between the "chute" and the spinner.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Northern sells that set up tank ,spray bar and hose for the walks.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Chuck, thanks for the link. I had actually already read it a few days ago too :nodd, but it's a large set-up for pre-treating, and I'm trying to do something small, with electric pumps, to pre-wet salt mainly. It doesn't seem theres many guys that have done this before. Right now, I'm focused on getting a pre-wet setup for the 575. What I'm thinking now is a dual nozzle setup, one on either side of the chute, running off a 50 gallon tank and electric pump. I'm gonna take a ride over to the local sprayer supplier here and see what I can come up with. The main goal here is to get the rock salt working better, faster, and hopefully use less of it. Too many times I've dumped way too much salt on a lot to have it just sit there and do nothing, then the sun comes out the next day, it burns off quick, and there's complaints about excessive salt residue. So I want to figure out a way to prewet the salt as I'm spreading it to give it a little kick start, so it starts working right away, without the help of the sunlight.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Now I know where those two 55gal drumbs went. I just picked up 1 more 55gal and 3 30gal's. The MN GTG may turn into pre-season fabrication. We (EZSNOW) and I talked about something like that for the wheeler on side walks. Piece of PVC with holes drilled in it. How bout Northern Tool or Fleet Farm for spray nozzles??

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
So you want to do a GTG? Ok- here it is...

FALL MN GTG ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Next weekend- it's on. My place, fri or sat is up in the air yet, but all who are willing are welcome. We can fry a turkey, then make the used grease into biodiesel! We could take on a small project, or just hang out and shoot the poop. Bryan, Brendan, Shane and Rob- you're all invited, and I'm sure my wife would appreciate some non-plowgeek companionship.

Oh- BTW... my neighbors already think I'm nuts, so if at all possible, wear your snowplows to the ball. Between the biodiesel reactor and all the snowplows... they'll really have something to talk about!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can't say I have anyone to bring non-plow geek companioship. But I'm there. :rolling

I'll even pull the tarp off the plow and bring it with me. Not sure if I wanna bring my puny little V-Plow down there with the Pro Plus and two blizzards. I'll start feeling like the small kid on the block.. then I'll be tempted to spend money I don't have for :blizzard

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Well, depending on how much sweet time Stonebrooke takes on my plow, I'd just pick it up on the way down there if it was Friday night. I told my wife she's comin' with so they can share plower wives horror stories about how crabby and hard to deal with we are in the winter etc. :haha

On topic though, I stopped in at MN Wanner this morning after spending 250 big ones to replace my blackberry I dropped last night :headwall, and it seems I can get a pre-wet setup done for under $600 (parts cost) through them. Something tells me though, the parts are going to be a lot cheaper ordered on line or elsewhere. I still got homework to do, but I think I'm gonna move forward with getting this setup going. One thing they told me though, is that they wont touch the setup unless the tank is actually bolted into the truck. Every lawn service spray tank I've seen has always just been strapped in. How do other guys do it? Do you strap your skid mounted setups in or bolt them? Any problems either way?

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
BTW Rob, unless my old man buys a truck this week, he'll be the little kid with no truck. He's in between right now. Still, that V is gonna be lookin mighty sheepish with the big boys hangin' around. Plus, you'll have the smallest truck too... Poor boy... Anyway, you know what they say, its not the size... Nevermind... :shades2

On Edit: My buddy Juan's only got a 1/2 ton, so you'll have some security anyway... :rolling

·
Registered
300 Posts
As one Jeff Foxworthy put it.. it's not the size of the boat. It's the motion of the ocean. But it takes a long time to get to England in a rowboat.

If you guys are looking for a project.. I'm lookin to re-wire my truck. :geez
Personally, I think we should do some brainstorming on a fast made plow cart, since Brendan was workin on that anyways. Everybody knows 5 guys and a case a beer gets a lot of work done. :rockon

I'm sick of mine sitting in a driveway anyways.. but if I put it in the front of the garage, then I can't get anything else out. :headwall

And I'll be sure to bring my digi-cam. We'll get lots of good pics. Speaking of pictures.. how is it that all of us Minnesota guys (well, most of us) ended up with red trucks? I think even Brendan's dad had (or has) a red van for work.

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Dad's van is green, Bryan's truck is white, yours and Derek's are Red, Juan's is Black and mine's Maroon/Tan. Red's popular for plowing due to visibility for all the idiot minnesotans out driving in a snowstorm that shoulda stayed home... :soapbox. I just choose to supplement with "a few" lights. :greenange

If I ever get off my lazy rear, I'll get over to get some material for a cart, but probably not this week, too busy... Besides, Derek doesn't have a welder, so unless someone has a portable, it wouldn't happen anyway. As for trying to con us into rewiring your truck, dream on brother... pimp

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Uh... look before you speak, brother. I've got a 110 MIG hiding in my garage with a near-full gas bottle and a freshly wired 20A outlet. It's only a MAC tools private-label, but it's a welder. I only have one mask, though- so if you want to watch, bring your own!

As for a plow "cart" all you really need are wheels on three points- the shoes and the kickstand. I plan on just putting a caster on each doorstop and then fabbing one onto the kickstand- that way I can just take the cart with me if I have any need to.

Is saturday evening better than friday for anyone? It would give me an extra day to get my garage in order, but that's not too big a deal. Friday's fine for me, too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
wizardsr said:
I just choose to supplement with "a few" lights. :greenange

As for trying to con us into rewiring your truck, dream on brother... pimp
A few... as in, a few ambulances worth, right?
:funnypost

I was just kidding about the truck rewiring anyways. There's not much I'm doing, other than adding a couple worklights that are aimable. Those ones I have in the lightbar shoot almost straight out from the back of the truck. Useful.. if you're working on something 10 feet off the ground.

Saturday or Friday makes no difference for me, Derek.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They sell those spray nozzles at Tractor Supply co. I looked at them yesterday.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
At the risk of hijacking this thread back to the titled topic :wink I wanted to toss out a thought to wizardsr- Why not just use a pre-treated salt? Lots of folks use Magic Salt. Others like Caliber M2000 sprayed on a salt pile and worked in with a shovel or loader. I don't think you want to go with a wetting system for the work you are describing.
Good luck...:waving

1 - 20 of 22 Posts