Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 84 Chevy on the highway today, to see if it would overheat with the plow on.
Drove 45 miles, then turned around and came back (90 miles total), with speeds averaging between 60-70mph.
The blade was raised abpout 85%, and tilted to the right 100%. I had about 5" of room above the blade for airflow, and the temperature guage only raised apprx. 5 degrees from where it normally runs (195).

Question though...should I install a lower temp thermostat, maybe a 180 or a 160? Or is the temp low enough already?

David

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Don't change the thermostat.You will not get enough heat in cold weather,and the truck will run too cold.

The thermostat hs no effect on the truck overheating or running too hot.Doesn't matter if's it a 160,180,or 195,once it gets to that temp it's open.If the truck continues to run hot,they would all stay open,as your above the temp threshold of the themostat.

An engine needs heat to run at peak efficiency.A 195 thermostat should be used year round.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wyldman said:
The thermostat has no effect on the truck overheating or running too hot. Doesn't matter if's it a 160,180,or 195,once it gets to that temp it's open.
Isn't it true that the thermostat opens at the designated temperature (160/180/195)?
Then wouldn't it also be true that if you have a 160 thermostat installed, it would open at 160, and hence begin the cooling process at that temperature?
Seems like it would run cooler with a cooler thermostat installed...like it's supposed to work, therefore it would matter what thermostat to install, right?

When I had a 160 installed in my other truck, it always ran between 160-170. With the 195 installed in my current truck, it runs between 195-200.
Makes a big difference if you ask me :)

Either way, I will keep the 195 in and see how the temp does when I'm pushing the truck a little more (snow snow snow)

Thanks all!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Your above statements are pretty much correct.When you run a cooler thermostat,the truck will normally run cooler under normal use with normal airflow across the rad.The cooling process is still going on it the rad,even when the thermostat is closed.When the sthermostat opens,cool water is drawn in,and once the cool water reaches the thermostat,it closes.

But......under heavy load,hot ambient temperatures,and\or decreased airflow (plow on),the system will start to get hotter.At this point,the thermostat is already open,doensn't matter what temperature thermostat it is,and continues to stay open,as you are now continously above the thermostat opening temp.At his point the thermostat has no effect on the operating temperature of the truck,unless it cools back down to where the thermonstat closes again.

Think of it this way,the thermostat controls the minimum operating temperature,not the maximum.A vehicle will still overheat or run hot without a thermostat,if you are working it or it has a cooling problem.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that makes a little more sense to me, thanks!
I think I'll be fine with the 195 installed then....
I am considering adding a secondary electric fan, ran through a toggle switch, so that I can turn it on/off at will. But I doubt that I'll really need it though, who knows!

Thanks wyldman, for all the info regarding thermostats!

David

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
fan clutch

See if you can get a fan clutch that locks up at a lower temp . THis solved that problem for me . Dodge recognized it and offers a different clutch .It was a TSB

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually wonder if my clutch fan is working properly....the only advice a certain "automotive shop" gave me, was to ...
"Hold a fan blade and then turn over the engine"
"If you can hold the fan from turning, it is defective"

Now gee, I may not be the brightest individual out there, but what if the fan wasn't defective??? What, I lose my hand/arm?

:argue

David

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
That's the stupidest idea i've ever heard.You should have asked HIM to test it right there for you,while you crank it over. :D

You should be able to freely rotate the fan with the engine off.When the engine is running,and it's hot,you should see the fan turning at engine speed.If your fan clutch was no good,you would also see an overheating problem under certain conditions (like with the plow on).

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sounds like quite the brainiacs at that shop!! LOL!!

What I did to drop my temps down while running the plow since I do a bit of highway miles to get to a second route was to run an oil additive (XR1 from advacnce auto) and I also put in an additive to my antifreeze. Combined with synthetic oil( new motor only 3k sofar on it) I dropped my operating temp to right around 200 deg while cruising on the highway with the plow. When I stop for even just a couple of mins, it drops right down to about 170 deg- 40 deg cooler than when I ran standard oil with no additive!! I was considering a secondary fan this year until I tried that, glad I didn't invest in the electric fan!

Next year I think I will switch to a synthetic blend after reading some previous posts by Chris, but I will still be running the additive!

Bill

·
Registered
85 Posts
the plow truck at work overheats bad.......with in 5 miles or so with the plow on......40-50 deg out side air temp......drove it 7 miles the other day....and it was boiling out the rad. cap.....does ok without the plow on........its a 85 chev 3/4 ton with a 350 eng..nees a new cap...mabey a fan also....want to put a solid fan on it.......

·
Registered
610 Posts
wonder if your rad has a blockage
i had a monte ss
only ran hot with the air on
had the rad flow checked 50% blockage
replaced rad never had a problem again

john

·
Registered
85 Posts
i'm going to take it into the shop next week...... and let the forklift mec. work on it.....i know it's out of time...and that isnt helping it .......I've been to busy replacing a defrost tank to do it myself....i'll get him to flush the rad.. replace the cap, termostat.time it and check the fan.........but not the way the one shop told them to ..........

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you suspect partial blockage of a radiator check to see if the radiator is evenly warm.

I've tried the prestone flush stuff from autozone and it was crap. Need to get the real stuff next time. :headwall

I can run 70 in 50 temps and not run warm. Diesels rule :shades

Every truck is different thoguh

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just remove the radiator and have it rodded and cleaned. A flush will not fix it just help it a little. It's fairly cheap to have done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts