Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, i'm sorry if this is in the incorrect forum, but I figured it does relate to snowplowing:)

I am already running a halogen mini lightbar (FS Highlighter), but I am also considering some hideaways for backing out of driveways etc (and I like lights:cool:

My main question is: is it possible to fit a strobe tube into the taillight of an 88-98 chevy? I would prefer to put it in the reverse lens, and I thought about just replacing the reverse bulb with that (I have aux backups). Has anyone done it? I have searched all over and havn't found anything. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
If you take out the reverse light bulb and put external ones the strobe should fit in there .Other than that you will have to put it in the red part of the lens like I did .

·
Registered
36 Posts
The strobe bulb will fit in the reverse lamp with the backup bulb in place, if you have the rubber mounted strobe head and drill the hole on the side of lamp toward the tailgate it will clear factory bulb and all surrounding metal on truck.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I put amber strobes in my reverse lens without removing the clear light they just fit in .....Works great.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I wanted to put my lights there but didn't because it looked way to tight and there would be alot of heat btween the strobe and bulb.will have to check that location out again

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I noticed while driving through an area od interstate under construction today, that some of the crew vehicles had hide-a-ways in their back up lights. One of them was in reverse, with backup lights on, and strobes going. The light was not very bright, I think if you want it to be effective, remove the factory b/u light, otherwise, it won't be bright enough to be worth the extra hassle and cost for the system.

Glad you found the forum Ryan!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That is true i found that when im in reverse the clear light kinda cancels out the amber strobe.But in drive or if you are working in the road in park with the lights on they are great.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I saw one of our County Highway pickups with amber hideaways mounted in the top of cab clear bed lamps. It was very effective, gets your warning light up higher to be seen further, plus it's unaffected by the reverse lights.

·
Registered
473 Posts
What systems are you guys using, Im looking at a whelen or nova 6 head/90 watt.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Im using Galls StreetLightning™Amber Strobe Tube Inserts.. Whelen 60 Watt 6 head Remote Power Supply.If I get more lights i want to switch to the 90 watt. But this was given to me when my father became a full time firefighter so it does its job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is a Tomar 60watt 6 head unit. They have a neobe strobe which is like neon, it is as bright as a 90watt regular strobe but draws less power. You should check out there site, I found it by accident but they hooked me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am also running a Tomer Neobe kit from Ebay. Very good pricing and excellent service. A 4 head kit with 6 head power supply and 4 cables I believe was 250.00 power supply locally was close to 400.00. Guy at local safety store said last vehicle he did with Tomar w/ install was 1000.00.

·
Registered
79 Posts
definitely go with the tomar kit. its NEOBE technology combines neon and stobe (ne-obe) to make it EXTREMELY bright. even brighter than whelen's 90w system. Tomar is what i run on my personal vehicle for the fire dept.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I looked at that Ebay auction, but I didnt find what I was looking for. None of you guys running the Ne-obe kits have pictures of what the tubes look like, do you? I was wondering if the tube had to be any larger, or if it needed more room that a regular strobe tube. Thanks!:shades

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's a pic of the tube, a 1" hole is all it needs. Be sure use some silicone or something to keep water from getting in and fogging up your lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Thanks for the picture Chayes! I ran into a guy I used to work with yesturday, he showed me his kit, turned out, he thinks he bought from the same guy on Ebay! Those lights are BRIGHT, even during the day!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts