Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a 4 corner strobe kit which color?

Amber--Clear?

·
Registered
243 Posts
What type of a truck is it.I am running a 6 head system.2 slim lines inside the truck mounted on the rear window (amber)
2 amber heads in the front running lights and 2 clears in the rear brake lights. I have an 03 silverado,I also have it set up so I can shut off the front 2 other wize I find them very distracing when plowing they reflex off the plow and snow and if its snowing heavey it makes you snow blind

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This.... What about putting them in the plow lights?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
if your putting them behing colored lenses i would go with the clear if your putting them behing clear lenses i would go with amber...

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Be sure to check Local ordinances as far as color. Sometimes Clear hideaways are illegal no matter what they are behind since the police use them and they are sooooo bright when they flash that they drown out the color of the lenses and are still a bright white tone which can make a driver think you are an emergency vehicle.

Jay

·
Registered
243 Posts
This.... What about putting them in the plow lights?

Thats a cool rig

No matter where you put them in the front they light the snow up when your plowing.Yes I know they are cool but anyplace in front of you they are distracting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Strobes?

How easy would it be to put them in myself?
I hate like hell to pay someone, for something I can do myself.
What do you think?
I'm in Bridgewater, MA.........any suggestions?
Waiting to hear from you! Thanks big guy!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
They are easy to install just have to drill a clean 1" hole but make sure the filement part is not going to be close to anything as the heat will melt your housing.Then it's just a matter of hooking up the cables grounding the system and running power to a switch or swtiches and maybe a momentary switch if you can change flash paterns.

As far as the color I got all clear .Clear is good if your gonna be putting them behind a colored lens but you might want to go amber if in a clear lens beacause of local police codes.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a nova 906 superpack,and it is great! Its a 6 head but I only use 4. two amber up front and two clear in the back. The install is simple, do your self a favor and get a pre-wired switch.:cash

·
Registered
622 Posts
I installed mine a few weeks a go. I have a six way box but I only used 4, I put one set in the tail lights and the other in the back ups. I also installed a three way switch so I can turn off the set in the reverse housing off. I find that the clears in the reverse help out seeing at night.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I were to get these, can I turn off the front and still leave the back on?

I know I could mount 2 lights on the lightbar I am making, but I want to control them in say sections.

Front, lightbar, rear?

Can this be done easy?

Do I need 2 power packs, and self powered strobes for the lightbar?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
We use the Nova 906 six head units.If you hook it up with separate switches,or get the right prewired one,you can control the front,rear,and roof strobes independantly (in pairs).All from one power pack.You can control all the different patterns and hi-lo power as well.

I have a spare 906,with some bulbs,wires and stuff,that I may get rid of,maybe it will suit your purpose.Let me know if your intersted,and i'll dig it up and see what i have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK, for those of you that want to go a lot cheaper on this...

Can't you just put the little lights in whatever lens area you want them, then run a turn signal relay in line, then a switch?? I mean the light sockets can be picked up at an autoparts store along with the bulbs, turn signal relays, wiring, fuses... You can get banks of switches that light up from JCWhitney fairly cheap or from your local autoparts store.

$269 is a LOT of money for a fancy switching unit..

Is there something MAJOR that I'm missing here??

Paul

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
kl0an said:
OK, for those of you that want to go a lot cheaper on this...

Can't you just put the little lights in whatever lens area you want them, then run a turn signal relay in line, then a switch?? I mean the light sockets can be picked up at an autoparts store along with the bulbs, turn signal relays, wiring, fuses... You can get banks of switches that light up from JCWhitney fairly cheap or from your local autoparts store.

$269 is a LOT of money for a fancy switching unit..

Is there something MAJOR that I'm missing here??

Paul
This is more than just a switching unit.It is a high powered strobe power supply,that will drive multiple heads,in different patterns.The strobes are way more powerful than a little light bulb and a flasher.You get what you pay for too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a link at work and it post it on friday when I return to work.
I found it to be a PIA to instal
(we all know what that means right Pain In the Xss)

anyways its not hard work its just time consuming.planning where to put the box and making sure all of the feeds for the strobe are long enough.I have an 03 silverado with an exstended cab and I mounted my switch in the glove box and mounted the box under the rear passenger seat.I had to make a custom plant to mount it on.

The reason I chose to install it myself is I have not found a quaility place to do this type of work.they just run the wires all over the place and mount the switches in the easeyest spot then can find.

When I do it my self I take the time and tape up and secure all the wires properly.

Realy a simple installation when you purchase an entire kit switches and all.Just time consuming to do

·
Registered
620 Posts
Paul, the strobes are actually a xzeon flash tube, just like the electronic flash on a camera. The power supply has a bank of capaciators that are charged up between flashes. They then discharge a high voltage pulse across the tube causing it to flash brightly for a brief instant. Theres lots more to them than bulbs, sockets and flashers.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One thing to note! Wires to bulbs can not be spiced! Have to be shelded cable! I had to order extra lengths for my truck! They look & work great! I called and was told in back of truck to us amber in back up lights were best! Put 1 (clear)in each front markers, one (clear) in back stop, one (amber) in back ups!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whelen is a good quality strobe system too but they're expensive...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts