Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to paint my Fisher plow to clean it up a bit, So I went to a local hardware store, and picked up a Qt. of Rust-Oleum Oil based paint in Sunburst yellow-gloss cost $9.00 and a spray can of Gray primer$4.00 a 6inch roller for $5.00. I wired wheeled the rust spots and used primer then paint with three coats on the Face of the plow plus foil!! For only $18.00 The Yellow paint is such a close match of factory Fisher paint.
Look at my truck picture in the snowplowing discussions

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
BigDog

THe color match does look good . Thanks, I will keep that in mind

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
About two weeks ago i went to my fisher dealer for a couple cans of paint just to touch up my plow.The guy told me just to get Rust-Oleum yellow.He said its the same thing except fisher charges and arm and a leg.He was still willing to sell me the fisher paint if i really wanted it but he said he hates to see his customers spend all that money when you can get the same thing for like 3 bucks.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well i was in a bind today and needed more paint for a second coat on a plow,first coat was Fisher yellow but i decided to try the rustoleum yellow,while it is a different shade(much brighter) i like it better than the Fisher paint which was kind of an orangeish yellow,$7.50 a quart,i'm a dealer and can't get the Fisher paint that cheap:pI'm sold on it,Good tip :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Bigdog203 - Can you post the picture here, I cant find you picture in the discussions forum. Thanks!

:zoom

·
Registered
382 Posts
FordPlow - Thanks. I will be sandbalsting next spring and will use the same paint.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Guys, I use the Fisher paint avail. by the quart. It's pricey but, I have to tell you it works.... far better than Rustoleum. Short of something like POR-15, the Fisher holds up very well, and dries much faster than Rustoleum ever could dream of. The key is good surface preparation as in any project to be repainted. Removal of grease/oil, rust & scale followed by a high grade primer, then the Fisher paint will easily last a couple of seasons. The Fisher paint hardens better and when dried and cured, gives a slick surface for better snow roll-off.
Plowtech will likely agree and perhaps can expand on the benefits of Fisher's paint mix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm no paint guru but of course i am going to recommend our paint. The only thing i am going to point out is i know that with the powder coated blades takes a special type of paint to be compatible. I know the enamel aerosol is not compatible. I will take a look at our paints and post my results if i find any in the morning. I know the paint is pricey but how else am i going to get paid:cash :cash :cash

·
Registered
619 Posts
Woofsplow- i
if you are insinuating the factory paint in the qrt/gal cans is anything less than or equal to Rustoleum that one buys at a store or DIY center, you are mistaken. Rustoleum is a good paint but not even in the same league as Fisher's yellow mix. Believe me, I'm not getting a penny for supporting their paint; just the truth be known from experience with it that it is superior to any oil-based OTC type paints I have used. Why would one go through all the bother and fuss to sandblast and prep a plow only to top it off with a paint that's just so-so to inferior? The Fisher paint dries remarkably well even during snowfall when I need to touch up a chip, rather than leave it exposed all season.
Again, it dries considerably faster, provides a much harder, scratch resistant, and slick surface after full cure. Rustoleum can be sratched off with your fingernail and the shine dulls too easily from salt. The Fisher paint requires a screwdriver to chip it (after full cure) and plenty of fresh air or you'll pass out and when you come to, you won't remember your name, address, or what food tastes like! It's a paint sniffing addicts dream come true! As for cleanup, even with mineral spirits or thinner, it's a job to clean your hands or a brush. I just scrap the brush.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just wanted to add this but this silly board limits editing a post to a stinkin' 3 minutes!:mad:

BTW, do not roll on the Fisher paint as it bubbles up with air far too easily. If you've never used it, it can be thinned for spraying. If you apply it staight, it will be a tad on the stringy side and leave brush marks. Thinning slightly (according to the label directions) does help but requires more drying/cure times. For emergency touch-ups in cold or wet weather, straight out of the can prolly is best.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Roger your 100% correct on the dry time of the 2 paints,the Fisher paint was dry to the touch in under an hour while the Rustoleum was tacky even a few days later.
Some of you guys may already know this stuff but for the beginners go to your automotive paint/parts store and get a can of reducer,Fast reducer if it will be cold or Medium if it will be warm and also a small can of Hardner,this really shines up a paint job and makes it a little tougher to boot.A basic formula would be-
8 oz paint
2 oz of reducer
1 oz of hardner

This is only how i like to do it and the plows seem to come out real well.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I found the same thing about the rustoleum takes time to dry.But the paint I used was like car paint it was an industrial polyurathan paint. and it worked pretty good.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used this stuff. See pic for my plow frame and this stuff is like candy. You need a resp. for this with the hardener. They also make a yellow for this as well. This stuff has a good flash time and dries fast as well. SEM even makes a clear for this. I found this stuff to be better than POR 15.
T.J.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
good prep and spraying would be the best way as long s the neighbors agree:D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've been brushing or rolling Rust-oleum 'Saftey Red' on my Western for four years. It holds up very well, and matched the Western color almost exactly!:waving

·
Registered
71 Posts
I saw equipment paint by rustoleum at my local tru value HW

they had john deere yellow and international red I looked for fisher or western yellows and reds but they had none. I dont know if thisa paint is more durable than the run of the mill rustoleum.

Dean

·
Registered
59 Posts
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the factory bakes on the powder coat paint and that helps give it, it's "toughness" so to speak. Not to sure you can spray on any paint and get the same results. Just my $.02.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts