Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a BOSS plow from a dealer about a month ago and have finally gotten it all together almost in time fo rthe first storm of the season only to discover that they didn't include any oil in the package! I'd hate to goof up my brand new plow by using funky substandard oil so I checked out the BOSS site for more info but they don't provide anything other than "use genuine BOSS oil" which isn't available in this town since the closest BOSS dealer is almost 800 miles away. Do any of you have the specs on what type of oil I need to find? Please let me know ASAP, the clouds are looming as we speak : ) Thanks!:headwall

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hydraulic Fluid

Blackout if you can't get the Boss fluid you can use Western or Meyer or Buyers low temp hydraulic fluids with no problems at all.

:rolleyes: John.............

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what's scaring me: "ALWAYS use the manufacturer's recommended fluid. Meyer and Boss use Mineral oils. Western uses ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)." from

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/snowplows.html

I called NAPA which is th only remotely competent store open today and they said that if it requires a mineral oil base regualr fluid won't work. I may just be overy paranoid but I'd rather admit to that than screwing up a brand new unit by not obsessing over the details before I ruin it. Thanks again for your time and input!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I use synthetic ATF in almost all the plows we service except for the Snoways.

It works just as well as any of the other low temp fluids,and is available anywhere.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If I were you, Id call up the dealer where the plow came from and tell them you werent supplied with any fluid. Is the plow supposed to come with fluid or is it up to the installer to do that part? I would guess its supposed to come with its own fluid and I would be on the phone with the people you bought the plow from. :headwall Mike

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As wyldman said the synthetic atf will work fine in your plow. but if you really want the boss fluid in it you might try ordering a couple of gallons from a dealer and having it shipped to you this way you'll have enough to fill the plow and have a little extra incase you need to top off. and just fill with atf if you get snow before the other oil gets a chance to get mailed to you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Fluids

New plows are not supplied with any fluids and the power units come empty.
It is up to the dealer to supply the needed amount to complete the install and set up.
If you bought the plow as a customer install unit you would be responsible to supply it.
I know that sound funny after you just spent that amount of money for a plow, and no one said you would need a few quarts.
As a Western and Boss dealer I know the differance in using the low temp fluids, less hydraulic and power unit problems.
ATF has been a good multi use fluid for years in these units but manufactures have found better preformance and pump life using the correct fluids for this application.
I fill all the units with Kendall Glacier Blue low temp hydraulic fluid and have been doing so for years.
Western wants their units filled with the low temp fluids that have the rust inhibitors and deicing agents, not ATF.
Neither company has a problem with using other manufactures fluids as long as it meets the mil. spec.

:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Good reply John. This reminds me of a couple months ago when I bought a new Caller ID for the shop. I was in the store holding the Caller ID in my hand and was looking all over the package to see if it said anywhere what batteries are required or are the batteries included already. NOWHERE did it say it needed batteries or even say what batteries it required so I could buy them right then and there. With it not saying, I ASSUMED they were probably in there somewhere. Get back to the shop, open it up, and no batteries. :headwall I was really mad that I had to now make a special trip to go buy 2 batteries. I can understand they dont wanna supply the batteries for you, fine, but atleast mark the package it comes in, REQUIRES 2 AA BATTERIES!! I had to make 2 trips for a stupid Caller ID. Just like this guy with the plow, he buys it, pays for it, brings it home and there is no fluid. Why couldnt the guy who sold it to him mention that he will need fluid, or atleast ask him, do you have your own fluid home, because this plow doesnt come with any. :headwall Mike

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would contact Boss directly use there website and explain to them I bet they send you some for free and if not you can find out about a substitute and let us know!

·
R.I.P.
79 Posts
In my old Western I had, couldn't get any Western fluid. So I switched to Aircraft hydrolic fluid, never failed for 16 years of plowing with that truck.

Rick

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reg. ATF will work down to 25 and up after that you'll have to go with the Boss fluid or what garagekeeper said. The old Boss plows with the pump under the hood always used ATF in them .
They had to switch when they started putting the pumps outside the truck.

Good luck, Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts