Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help to identify a red snow plow that's mounted on a used truck I purchased. If anyone could help, I could email pics to you. This plow is different than my other plows, the Prestolite electric hydraulic motor/reservoir assembly and solenoid are mounted onto a wheelwell in the engine compartment (although they do not hook up to anything in there). The hydraulic hoses are routed to the lift ram and the power angle cylinders from there. The motor is controlled from push-pull rods that run thropugh the firewall and mount through the dash.

if you could help my email is [email protected] ...I can email you jpegs of the plow and the motor assembly if you think you may be able to help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
NOVANUTT, if you can try posting the pics here, you may have a better responce. If you have trouble posting them e-mail them to me and I will post them for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry, I'm a rookie here .. I couldn't post them or locate your email .. you can email me at [email protected] and i will send them to you or I will also try to post the pics here again now. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, it worked! Thanks, let me try to opost the other pic of the blade and frame .. thanks again all for your help!

Best regards,
Jim Taylor

Attachments

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm no expert, but judging by the mounting style, I'd guess Meyer (painted red), but like I said, I could most definately be wrong.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The power unit looks like an old fischer, the upper part of the frame (lights, lift arm area ) is definetly a western conventional mount. Cant tell about the lower part of the mount. The blade is throwing me, part of the a-frame looks like western but the mold board is throwing me, would have to get some old manuals out to be sure.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
That is a Northman Plow...

It has had some butchering done to it.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
It's a complete Northman set up. but looks like someone used Meyers angle cyliners as replacemenst. And they look like they were moved back some to accomiade the longer angle cylinder.

For your info, Western does not make their lights, Peterson MFG makes them for them. Same as who made them way back then when this was installed in the mid '80s.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nope the power unit is just a standard Monarch unit, which is still available today.
The upper lift assembly is Western and I would guess the lower section is too.
The a-frame appears to be a long style Meyer along with a Meyer sector that has been reworked to match up with the mounting and stop tabs on the plow.
But the moldboard really looks like an "early SnoWay, I believe they were one of the first to use the formed top part from the moldboard onto the framework, just as yours does.
Most the early lights that Western used were made by Dominion and some may have been supplied Signal-Stat.
Dominion made lights for Western till a few years ago when the went out of business, Western lights are made by Grote now.
Any way looks like you have a little of every thing going for you with that plow set up.

:rolleyes: John............

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Snowway was out in the earily 80's?

The Northman looked jus like Westerns lift frame back then.

Had meyers looking A fram and sector.

One thing that threw me to Northman is the place the chain goes to lift it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Early 80's ??:confused:

This setup looks older than that. Something tells me that it is older than the truck its on.

The headlights are for sure. But like everyone said, that doesn't mean anything really.

The A-Frame DOES look like a Meyer long style. And it DOES have Meyer type angling cylinders. The moldboard looks like nothing I've seen before. But then again, I've never seen a Northman. If its NOT a Meyer A-Frame, then its a real close copy of one!

It's probably just a mut! :D

Whatever you do, re mount the chain lift so it's lifting vertical, not out like it is now.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
That plow might be even older, from the earily 70's.

That has a Northman truckside for sure. That was northman signature thing back then. All under hood hydraulics.

Here's another one

·
Registered
660 Posts
That original moldboard may be a Northman, though its STILL a bit different from the later two pics. The headgear IS identical, but the A-Frame and Sector are DEFINATLEY Meyer based.

The only things screaming Northman are the truck head gear and the vertical straight ribbing on the moldboard.

Kinda confusing is what it is.

:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Nope the lift frame is Western, right down to the factory plow lift stops coming off the bottom and the two tabs on the lift arm for the chain to lock in to.
But after looking at this old plow for a while "again" it may even be an old AirFlo made in New York.
They mounted using ears off the a-frame and pinned into the vertical ribs as that one does.
And they "were" orangish in color too.
"snowplowjay" found almost the same truck and plow on e-bay a few months ago
:rolleyes: John............

1 - 20 of 24 Posts