Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help; I live North of Boston. We just got over a foot of snow. I hooked up my "minute mount" last night - it only took me 2 hours this year! After I got it on the truck (F350) I couldn't lift nor turn the plow to the left. I am a weekend plower and my mechanical skills are mediocre at best. Here is some more information:

1. The motor makes noise; as if it is working.
2. When the plow is angled to the left - if I hit the control stic, the plow moves all the way to the right, but not up nor back to the left.
3. I loosened the hydraulic lines and am getting fluid coming out of only the line which is connected to the piston which moves the blade to the right. The other two lines (up and right) have hardly any fluid coming out of them when I try to use them.
4. The connection which has two connector pins had a short at one time and the pins are corroded, somewhat, however the motor does make noise when I move the joy sticks.
5. The joy stick activates the motor when I move it up, left and right, however, the motor does not activate when I push the joy stick down.

Am I in over my head? Should I wait until Monday and take it to a dealer?

Thanks very much.

Nic

·
Registered
832 Posts
For sure be certain that you have enough fliud in the system first.
It sounds like your not getting power to some of the control valves that are located on the power unit if you have lost both of those funtions.
I would recomend that you first clean the connectors and be sure that they have not corroded away.
Have someone work the controls and see if the plow moves while your wiggling the connector around'
The S3 4way valve may be stuck if its getting power, this valve is used for both angling left and lift.
Hope this helps you some.

:rolleyes: John..............

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
check your electrical connector... check your fluiid level... your not going to hear the motor activate when you put your plow control in the lower position because your plow is lowered by gravity... if your plow doesnt work after ya check the connections and fluid heres a link to a troubleshooting guide from fisher...
http://www.fisherplows.com/pdf/21462_110198.pdf

·
Registered
596 Posts
Have someone work the controls and see if the plow moves while your wiggling the connector around'

BUT DON'T STAND WHERE IT MIGHT HIT YOU IF IT SUDDENLY STARTS TO WORK!!!

(You gotta remember to include those kind of warnings to folks who haven't learned that lesson the hard way, like I almost did. )

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Oh one more thing if ya have plenty of snow send some over here... :) we need some...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone!!!

All:

Thank you for your replies. I am about to go outdoors and tackle the problem (again), this time using your (pl) advice. I purchased some hydraulic fluid earlier today and am ready with that. I will let you know how I make out. Once again: Many thanks!

Nic - Boston

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the exact same problem on a 7.5 fisher minute mount about 4 years ago. Turned out to be the electrical connection had a badly corroded pin that caused all of the problems. I would check there first. Make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease on the connections once you get things working.Good Luck!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To whitetail and ALL:

I just filled the hydraulic tank and played around with the connections. NOTHING.

I do have a very corroded connector pin (the connector with the two 1/8 dia pins)! But, why am I getting a motor sound? If the connection was bad, I thought I would not hear the motor working? Or, is there not enough power?

I feel lke you are getting me closer to the answer!

Nic

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nic-
the corrosion might be enough to prevent the solenoid from operating and allowing the plow to angle right or lift- clean up the corrosion, apply some dielectric grease, and chekc the rest of the connections on the pump/valve assembly. The conection to rn the motor is good, but you are not getting enough power(amps) into the solenoids for them to open fully. If I am not mistaken- the solenoid that controls the right angle also controls the lift somehow( I remember somethign being mentioned in a previous thread) so that connection could very well be your problem. Good luck, try to clean the connections befor going to a dealer, that is probably your problem.

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i'd take some sandpaper or a wire brush and clean them up a bit then grease them real good and see what happens... let us know how your progress is going...

·
Registered
832 Posts
The connector with the Two pins is for the power to the pump coming from your motor relay under your hood, and the ground.
If the motor is operating then those aren't likely your problem.
The other connector is the one for the headlights; turn signals; park lights and the wires that go to the valves on the power unit.
The pump will run as you are getting "some"functions on the plow.
I would still be checking for power to the valves on the power unit.

:rolleyes: John................

And please watch out should the blade turn or raise unexpectently, and always wear your safety glasses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Darn Mouse!

First of all, I want to thank everyone who responded with great diagnostic assistance! THANK YOU! I am plowing again!!! (snow that is...)

Now, here's the post mortem: I filled the hydraulic chamber, sanded the contacts and cleaned all the pins, greased it all up with dielectric. I always heard the motor running even though the blade only moved to the right. Not left, up, nor down.

I made the mistake of assuming that if I heard the motor, the motor was working. Well, the motor was always working. I what I did not know was that the solenoid valves which opened and closed the chambers to fill the left and up motion terminals was driven electrically by the electrical connecor which I thought was for the lights! Doy! After further investigation, I found that a frigging mouse or some other varment chewed through the electric wire harnes and severed one of the contact leads! So, the motor was running, but the valves which regulate pressure were not opening!!!

Solution: changed the power cord and purchased some mouse traps for my garage!

Thanks again all:

Sweet plowing to all of you!

Nic

·
Registered
866 Posts
Glad to hear it was something simple- and that your up and plowing! again.

Set those traps with peanut butter- the little rodents can't resist it!!

Bill

·
Registered
832 Posts
So glad you got your plow "up" and running.
I just had the feeling that you weren't getting current to one of the cartridge valves.
:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Glad to hear it was something simple... peanut butter does work great for catching those little rodents...

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Another mouse damage story . Those guys are litlle troublemakers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts