Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very new to snow plowing I want to do it as a side business for lawn mowing in Ohio. I've got a chance to buy a 73 K20 truck with 22,000 original miles on it it's got a service body. 350 small block turbo 350 the gentleman that I'm buying it off of is upgrading it to electronic ignition I'm just wondering if that would make a better plow truck than some of the newer 90 through 2000 with 150,000 plus miles on. Any information be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like a great truck but with a truck nearly 50 years old, there is a good chance you won't be able to buy a mount to fit it, so you should confirm availability for whatever plow you are intending to buy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A dually with a service body will be harder to do residential.
You never said what your getting into? Are you staring on your own or subcontracting for someone else.

·
771 Posts
Do you have any experience plowing snow commercially?

It’s Going to be a tough year breaking into the business with a lot of businesses closing up, for the winner.

Driveways are going to have to be done very cheap for the homeowner to pay someone to do it.

As for the truck
I see the service body being a hinder.
Age.

What are your back up plans for when this truck breaks down at 3am, it’s snowing and you haven’t done half of your route yet?

Imho
Get a latemodel truck get a new plow and subcontract for another company or go to another business and see if they have any openings for operators.
Gives you an opportunity to learn the business

Good luck let us know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts