Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Brother had a Meyer plow installed on his 2000 Expedition. He has some HID headlights. I have no idea exactly which ones, I just know they ran him about $900, and he lost his high beams as a trade off of the install. They work great. So now the problem..... He picked up his truck after the plow was installed, and the plow lights worked great. He had the plow on a week or so, and when he flipped the toggle switch to turn on the truck lights, nothing happened. He called the plow dealer and the guy told him the relays for the headlights are blown, because he has the HID lights. He told him that 6 other customers called this week with the same problem. Now he wants to sell him new relays for $120!!!

So I guess my question is.... is it a fact that the relays cannot handle the HID system, or is it that this guy didn't wire them up correctly? The lights themselves are only 35 watt bulbs.

I did not look at the set up, this is what my brother told me over the phone when he asked me to find him relays at a better price.

I told him first we need to find out if the HID's are a problem.

I am calling them HID's, but let me say I am even unsure of that. These lights are like street lights, and pure white. Not just those cheap replacement blue bulbs on the market.... As bright as they are, they don't blind oncoming traffic like those blue ones do. I know, because I have passed him on the road a few times, and they did not bother me at all.

So with all the snazzy new plow trucks here, with the fancy lights, can anyone shed some light on this problem??

~Chuck

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I just did some searching, and I am not so sure the Meyer Sabre lights even use relays, since all I could find was a control module...

Light Module For Meyer Saber Lights
Part Number: M07116
Price: $32.00
MSRP: $39.95

http://www.angelos-supplies.com/cgi-bin/asi/detail?0.NbbWul;1545;

From Angelos Supplies. It is a far cry from $120, that's for sure.

~Chuck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Chuck,
Alot of the Meyers take what is called an "isolation Module" . Look for a box about 12"X8" that is black, with 4 sets of wires going into it. This controlls the headlights. Actually, I thought that box was closer to $200.00. I believe the piece you are looking at from Angelo's has one yellow plug and 2 black plugs, and is about 4"x2". This truck could have either system, but i'd bet money if it's a Diamand plow, it has the isolation module. Make sure you got power going into it. I don't remember if the Meyers uses a switch with the module system. If it does, half of the switch may not be getting power. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Maybe Pro Mover is ahead of me but the only plow's running the Isolation module are Fisher and Western. These are in the $200 range and have 4 harnesses running into them.

Just did a new Meyer and Diamond install and they both use the Change over modules. There is a limit to the amps that can be drawn through the modules listed on them. I believe the high beam is 15 amp.

If he is running the newer street lights of the higher out put they can draw more than 15 amp per bulb. This would blow the internal circut. If this is the case he may want to add relays to power them directly from the battery and use the Change over modules as the switch for them.

The other problem that can occur is using the wrong harness for the change over module. Some of the expeditions use HB1 bulbs and some use HB5 bulbs. Each uses a different harness.

He should not loose his high beams as the module will switch both high and low beam for the truck and the plow.

Jerre

p.s. Chuck feel free to pm or call me Friday for more info.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
The simple relay's should handle 50 amps max. I doubt your headlights are pulling more than 25 amps.

Sounds like the relay was defective, and $7 is a far cry from $120.

It should be under warrenty, or the guy wired it wrong. Either way it in his boat not your brothers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Jerre,
Have done 2 Meyers installs that have used the isolation module. One on a 2001 Chevy one on a Dodge. Don't know if it was manufacurer specific, as we are not a Meyer dealer, and both these plows were on other truck previously. But on definately had the Night saber lights. Used the big style isolution module with the 4 wire connectors as you describe.

Also agree, should'nt have to lose the use of the High beams.

P.S. Chevy had daytime running lights also. Everything worked when done with install to this date Since 12-02

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps I wan't clear. The high beams were lost when the headlights were installed, long before the plow. The headlights I believe run off a power inverter (110v).

Still trying to get more info from my brother. That is why I mentioned that the headlight set up alone cost him $900+. I might be wrong on the inverter. I will post a follow up after I speak to him.

I believe these headlights are the reason the plow dealer is telling him they are blowing his relays (or module).

Thanks guys.

~Chuck

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
OH Sorry, I pay $12 for each of my head lights........

If he likes to pay $900 for both, I can sell him 2 for half that.:cash

I don't know nothing about them........

·
Registered
25 Posts
HID's

Chuck,

HID's use their own transformers to step up the required voltage. Typical is in the KV range(kilovolts) to fire the bulb. This is why they cost so much, and why they could damage isolation modules or relays.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts