Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wacky idea. Could you install strboes in the headlights of the plow headgear ? If i was to get a blade thats what i would want to do.

Can it be done or will the rubber part stick out too much and you wont be able to get that cover for the sealed beam on ?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I highly doubt that it would be practically possible. It would be impossible to drill a good clean hole and have it sealed pretty well, plus you need to have a couple strobe cables in front of truck ready to connect and disconnect. Also in most states, it is illegal to run strobes (in any color) in headlights, it is only permitted for authorized emergency vehicles. You simply are just asking for too much trouble. Just get a good bright mini lightbar and you should be good to go! :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Not only that with the white light running out of the lights it would dround out most of the effectivenes of the strobes... it would be a waste of money IMO

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think it would drown out much of the strobe. Take a look when you see an emergency vehicle or a cop car. Cops have 4 strobes in the front lights. It's not illegal to have them in your lights but it’s illegal to use them while driving on the street.

I was thinking of blue in my taillights and clear up front in my headlights. I can have the plow lights on and my headlight strobes on. In the case that the strobes bother me I can shut the front ones off independently from the back.

It was just an idea i had about the plow lights.

I dont want a lightbar on my roof on anything i want incognito look. The undercover snowplower. :shades

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I've seen it done, Meyer plows had a display at a show I had gone to where they did just what you propose.

I've mentioned in posts elsewhere that hide-aways are meant to be secondary warning, not primary as you wish them to be. They will get washed out when the lights are turned on and be ineffective, plus are illegal for on street use.

It would be less costly and more effective to use a single magnetic mount self-contained beacon on the roof for plowing, remove when you are finished. This will give you 360 degree warning plus get the light up higher where it can be seen from a further distance.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm with Steve, Hideways aren't effectve for the application of snowplowing. There is little or no light being strobed sideways, which is pretty important for backing out of driveways, loading docks, etc. I'm not sure why everyone wants to be "undercover" I want everyone to know that I'm plowing snow, and that I'm backing out of this driveway. Besides, the plow, spreader, and undercarriage for each are usually dead give-aways that you are plowing, ya know? I think magnet or Vacuum-Magnets would be the best solution. Just slap it on, plug it in, go plow--come home, un plug, coil up and put in toolbox or in garage, back to lookng normal.

I think hideaways are a good auxillary warning source, but as Steve said, they shouldn't be relied on as the primary source for warning lights.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have strobe head i will prolly put on my back rack. Does the strobe need a relay or just a inline fuse and what is the prupose of the inline fuse ? I want to run it to a switch so does that mean i need a realy ? The back strobes would be blue in the back, i wonder if i can get away with that here in Toronto.

I will most likely put the strobes in the front of my truck and maybe LED ( those are bright and look like strobe's ) squares mounted on each of bumper of the truck.

I will reguardless of what i put and where will have to run lights to the back of my truck to light up behind.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Actually funny you mention that. There was a bigger truck, like a topkick, on EBAY forsale that had a strobe mounted on the Headgear. That was the first time I had seen such a thing and I did a double take.

Jay

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
The power pack will need an in line fuse, but that's it. Only switches are needed, no relays, that's the benefit of strobes, they draw low amps.

You don't put any fuses between the light heads and the power pack.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Speaking as someone with experience driving with the strobes in the light- don't do it. I drive fire trucks and ambulances for two different volunteer agencies in NY- and at night, especially in the winter I shut them off. They cause too much reflection back while trying to drive let alone push snow which stirs up much more snow. The hide-away strobes inthe rear are fine, I'm looking at a set myself, but I do not recomend the strobes in the headlights. They do not get drowned out by the head lights,but they do make it harder to see. The LED's in the front corners or on your headache rack are also a good idea. That is what all of the new fire apparatus and ambulances are coming with now on any new ones that are built.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out with whatever you go with.

Bill

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cnypropertysvcs said:
Speaking as someone with experience driving with the strobes in the light- don't do it. I drive fire trucks and ambulances for two different volunteer agencies in NY- and at night, especially in the winter I shut them off. They cause too much reflection back while trying to drive let alone push snow which stirs up much more snow. The hide-away strobes inthe rear are fine, I'm looking at a set myself, but I do not recomend the strobes in the headlights. They do not get drowned out by the head lights,but they do make it harder to see. The LED's in the front corners or on your headache rack are also a good idea. That is what all of the new fire apparatus and ambulances are coming with now on any new ones that are built.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out with whatever you go with.

Bill
You have any pics of the LED's on the racks ?

I would use the strobes in the front for show and for when stationary parked in a place. I could use them in the summer when parked on the side of the street when serviceing propertys.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I will see what I can come up with for pics, but if you do a search for E-one fire trucks you will find there web site and can see some pics of there light set ups. What I like about the LED's is that they can be mounted into the hollow steel tube of a headache rack with just a little cutting. That makes them very low profile and therefore less likely to get damaged when hauling anything. They can also be mounted in body panels and bumpers fairly easily too. It just takes a little cutting and grinding to install them( most come with the rubber grommet used to mount them). I have a few ideas for next year that I will be working on- I will post the pics of them as I work on them. Too late to start anything this year!

Bill

Oh, BTW- tag your it!!!! LOL!! We seem to be playing "post" tag tonight- I post then ou post, and I post right back!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I was over onthe other site the other day, and saw that one guy had a set of the 911ep LED lights on his headgear. I don't think it would be worth the effort to run wires up there, have to make 2 extra connections on top of all the other stuff done when attaching the plow. I think the best setup would be some type of roof-mounted beacon, then two rear facing lights of somekind, LEDs, hidden strobes, or whatever.

I think your stobe head is a good idea, as long as it is fairly bright. I got a North American ST-500 for $1 at a flea-market last year. It was a dollar well spent, but wasn't worth much more, IMO. Its not very bright, and if I had my backup lights ob, they kinda drowned out the strobe from the rear. My little halogen beacon I used as well was brighter, and only drew about 4 amps. I decided to go with a mini lightbar this year, VERY bright, but it draws about 9 amps. What model light do you have?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a strobe lamp by star its a 200A. I do not need a power pack for this unit. I have tested the unit out on a car battery, but i think it requires a inline fuse.. I have a picture of here. I need a blue lense for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snowboy said:
I was thinking of blue in my taillights and clear up front in my headlights. I can have the plow lights on and my headlight strobes on. In the case that the strobes bother me I can shut the front ones off independently from the back.
. :shades
If you put any blue lights on your vehicle I hope you get charged with inpersonating an emergency vehicle, impersonating a police officer, and written a ciatation for faulty equipment. You can not have any blue lights on your vehicle. Why would you want blue anyway?

As for clear hide-aways, I think they are good for SECONDARY warning. Get a good mini bar with side coverage first. And go LED. Brighter and cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
TacOps said:
If you put any blue lights on your vehicle I hope you get charged with inpersonating an emergency vehicle, impersonating a police officer, and written a ciatation for faulty equipment. You can not have any blue lights on your vehicle. Why would you want blue anyway?

As for clear hide-aways, I think they are good for SECONDARY warning. Get a good mini bar with side coverage first. And go LED. Brighter and cheaper in the long run.
Up here near the North pole,we canucks are forced to use BLUE lights for snow removal equipment.

Clear is illegal here,as it probably is in most areas.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
TacOps said:

He's in CANADA - different laws with respects to colors. (Colorado also uses blue on plow vehicles) Blue is used because is has shorter wavelength light waves which is higher energy.

As for strobes in the headgear, I have done it on the Mission Truck, used clear hideaways mounted in the side of the turn signal. They provide plenty of front and side warning. Installing in the headlights is completely ineffective as the headlight washes out all of the strobe effect.

Strobes are for attracting attention and defining the width of the vehicle.

I'm with Steve about a 360 unit on the roof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts