Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can the hand controller drive the plow solenoids directly or will I need relays for the up/down and left/right power? I'm missing the hand controller and under hood harness. I was hoping to pick up any hand controller and hard wire it to the plow harness. I'm not concerned with the lights.
Thanks.
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to use it on my 900' lane only. There are only three 18 gauge wires coming from the hydraulic solenoids on the plow. The schematic shows four relays contained in the controller. Each relay has a diode across their coils. It also shows some zener diodes. I don't know what they are for or what voltage they are. I am also having trouble following the schematic wires. When a wire tees into another wire I know there is an electrical connection. But when one wire crosses another wire, I'm not sure. I don't see any wires that "jump" over any other wires. I will need to do more homework on relays and snowplow controls in general. The money people are asking for used controllers isn95 ridiculous. Thanks. Steve
What is the make/model of the plow?
Hiniker/2803/8' straight steel plow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, just glancing at the diagram, looks pretty simple, same as old meyer. Ignore the relays for the pump, use 20a switches. Looks to me like-
Raise-- just pump runs,
left--pump and s2 operate
right--pump and s1 operate
down--just s3 operates
but it's late, am tired, perhaps look at it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mountain Plow, and all who responded. It's been a worthwhile learning experience.

The original controller used relays because the touch pads couldn't handle the current, is that correct? Is the solenoid that connects between the truck battery and the snow plow pump specifically for snow plows? Thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
1-- Yes
2-- yes,no maybe, depends on the plow and the manufacturer.
The way you are wiring yours, you basically need a solidi that closes when power is applied to the small terminal. Old days, these were 3 post, 2 big, one little, and little one activates it. Nowadays all nwer use 4 so they do not depend on grounding the body, you add a ground to the 4th terminal. BUT, there are some specialty ones for some plows, but not yours. Your original one would have been a standard one, where 4th terminal has to have a ground wire added. Anyway, if you buy a cheap aftermarket, buy 2, they are known for failure.Your factory one would have been this, which you can still use--

Usually, plow manufacturers are high quality, Trombetta or Cole Hersee. Lots of cheap china junk ones around. And, you can find better pricing on the net. But, as yours will be occasional use, a cheap one may be fine, just buy 2.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts