Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last spring I was given about 3 tons of salt that was left over on a cnstruction project. They needed the room so the salt had to go. Free salt is good salt, so when it was offered to me I grabbed it real quick.

However, there is one minor snag, There is some 1" crushed stone that had gotten pushed into the pile. Not a lot, and if I was running it through my hydraulic spreader it would be no problem. But going through my SnowEx 1075 it becomes a major problem fast!

Luckily, Magic treated salt won't flow without the vibrator running. I can open my dump door( http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/tail_gate_salt_spreader_dump_door.html ) and expose the top of the feed auger. I was able to pry out the offending rock each time (found three so far) and go about my business with only a very brief holdup.

Had I not installed the door I would have had to scoop out the salt and remove the hopper to access the top of the auger flighting.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Another great inovation Alan.I've alwayd been impressed by just about everything you've fabricated.It's nice when all that work pays off. :D

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I thought that was a pretty slick invention when I saw it first last spring, now it has more additional uses!

One quick thought though, could you run the salt through a screen, like some hardware cloth tacked to a wooden frame laid on top of the spreader while loading? I don't know how you are loading it, it might not work with that auger setup I saw you had... :beatsme

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could screen the salt but it would take forever to fill the hopper. Any screen big enough to pass material fast enough to not be a hindrance might be big enough that a long, skinny stone would pass through as well.

So far it's inconvenient but not a major problem. Once I go through this pile, which is one or two more events I'll be into fresh material as I will ahve the bin emptied and have to reload.

If I can get the dump truck freed up and the undergate spreader back on I'll run this material through that and not have to worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts