Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding registration weights of trucks. I had my 97 F-350 PSD inspected today and when I returned to pick it up I was told that I did not have it registered for the proper weight. I mentioned that it was 13 years old and that I’ve had it registered for the same weight that entire time, 9,000 gvw. I was told I have to register it for the weight of the axles and not the GVW. So my question is fairly simple, do I now have to register the truck for the axle ratings and not the GVW? I realize this is the state of Massachusetts so things are a little weird here but that seems to be very strange to me since I was always under the impression that a truck could not exceed the gvw regardless of what the axles were rated for, since the GVW represents the safe weight the truck can carry while not exceeding things like the braking power or suspension components?
Is this the new federal regs or what?

BTW in the end he gave me the sticker anyway and said that truck is in excellent shape but he did charge me $45 to change the license plate lightbulb :rolleyes:

·
Registered
749 Posts
As far as I know, you register by GVWR. It is the size and spacing of axles that contribute to GVWR, rather than just their capacity. You have the option of plating the truck (here in Ontario anyway) for weights less than the GVWR to save $$$ if your trucks don't gross out - just don't get caught over the plated weight.

I did this when I owned my bucket truck for the tree service work. The truck's GVWR was 26,000, but with full fuel and full woodchips, it never beat 19,000, so I plated it for 20,000 I think, and save some dollars on the portion of the license that I would never use. But alas, I don't get near Mass. too much, so I may be all wet for your problem.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
In MA you need to get trucks under 10k inspected ?
Why would you have the clown put in a bulb for $45 ? Seems to me that would have been a pretty easy fix on the spot.

·
Registered
298 Posts
In Mass. a Commercial Vehicle , or one over 10,000 gvw . or in the case of a car trailer over 3,000 gvw , like mine , registered to My DBA , has to go through a Mass./Fed.Gov.DOT Inspection , at $ 129.00 , plus any repairs at there hourly rate .Drop it off and back into the shop later in the day .
The first idiot I took My New Unused 2008 Cam Superline car trailer too , wanted Me to leave it for a whole day so He could pull the wheels and check the brakes. He also wanted Me to leave My 9000gvw. one ton dodge van so He could inspect that for another $ 129.00 too .
In His warped mind , if it tows a commercial vehicle , it needs a commercial sticker too ( $$$$$$$ )
Bob
All This DOT Bull Squat in Mass. , Is All About The Money

·
Registered
298 Posts
We are Totally Flexible on where We chose to live now , as We can run the business from either Ma. ,Nh. , Me. , or move to Tn. and come back for the Summer and the Fair season .
And people ask Us why We want to move out of Mass. :rolleyes:
Bob

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Mass. a Commercial Vehicle , or one over 10,000 gvw . or in the case of a car trailer over 3,000 gvw , like mine , registered to My DBA , has to go through a Mass./Fed.Gov.DOT Inspection , at $ 129.00 , plus any repairs at there hourly rate .Drop it off and back into the shop later in the day . The first idiot I took My New Unused 2008 Cam Superline car trailer too , wanted Me to leave it for a whole day so He could pull the wheels and check the brakes. He also wanted Me to leave My 9000gvw. one ton dodge van so He could inspect that for another $ 129.00 too . In His warped mind , if it tows a commercial vehicle , it needs a commercial sticker too ( $$$$$$$ )
Bob
All This DOT Bull Squat in Mass. , Is All About The Money
Thats how the $45 light bulb came to be...

Bandit from what I was told and this could be wrong, any diesel vehicle in Mass must be inspected by a diesel testing station even if it is under 10k GVW, commercial or not. Around here most under 10k lbs inspection stations don't have the diesel testing equipment so I have to go to the "big truck" places.

I just know that I won't be going back there regardless of what I have to register the truck for.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Also ANY vehicles over 10,000 # , ex. a Dually , must have Commercial plates and the $129 DOT Sticker .
The members of the MBBA were forced to register there Dually's used as dune buggy's with a slide in camper as CMV , Not as Campers , because the camper can be removed .
( Don't Forget Your Medical Cards for All Drivers )

Bob

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I lucked out with the new rules , my 35K GVWR diesel motorhome still only needs the $29 inspection . With all this nonsense I will always have a gas P/U with < 10K
GVWR.

·
Registered
568 Posts
One of those posts said it all ,in Mass its all about the money,theres nothing to do with saftey in those rules.The registry just added a $5 or $10 "service fee" to TALK to a registry employee about anything.There was such an uproar about it the next day the fee was removed.The governer had the balls to say "sorry my bad this was just a misguided attempt to get registry customers to use online services instead of the registey".No wonder everyones bailing out of this $#!+ hole state.Can anyone use a fairly decent family of 5 used,good workers,fair health(we have most of our teeth) will work for slight hope of American dream.Get me outtahere.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts