Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is the scenario, a long road and the snow is real deep and the only way you can make it down is in the v-position and do you go for it and what depth would you feel comfortable doing this and you get lets say 200ft down and you get stuck and you cant go any further how do you get out? If you have been in this situation please be specific Im just trying to learn so if I ever get into it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If at all possible you want the blade on the ground but if the snow is that deep so as you can't make the full push or are not comfortable then start taking small "bites" pushing left and right(again with the blade to the ground) and just chew at it a little at a time untill you bust thru,your just looking for trouble by wading out in serious snow with your blade raised IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Know when to say when

The 4x4 trucks nowadays will certainly push alot of snow but they do have limitations. That is what the heavy equipment is for. Backhoes, Loaders, Graders etc. Yes there is a $$ figure that goes along with the rental but there is also a $$ figure that goes with breaking your truck or towing charges.
A number of years ago we had a decent storm and I witnessed a company plowing a long driveway down along the river (1500 ft easy) I actually stopped for 15 minutes because I couldn't believe what I saw. Two 3/4 4x4's equipt with plows , One chain. The first truck would bore into the snow until stuck and the second truck would pull him out with the chain, and repeat. I don't know how long the 2 trucks stayed at it but they were still doing the same technique when I came by again. Through the grapevine later on, ... ... 2 transmissions, 1 rear axle, repairs to both plows and two spilt coffee's.
The storm was over , no rush, so ... ... WHY???

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I concur with Arc Burn. Never, under any circumstance, plow snow with the moldboard raised off the ground. That's just asking for trouble. I've pushed over 20" for over 1/2 mile with a 9' straight blade. But it was fully angled and rolling good. But the key was that if I couldn't push it, I could back out. If it's so bad that you can't angle and roll it, there's too much for the equipment you're using. You need to rent a backhoe/loader or maybe call somebody with a bigger truck.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last year when we had that big snowstorm on the NE well we had like 25in of snow and to make it to my friends house I would have to had the plow all the way down and in the V-position and just went slow but lets say you hit a big drift how would you back out or just work it slowly, just curious!

·
Registered
309 Posts
CraftyBigDog,

I have actually found that the Vee postion does not work well in deep snow. The blade tends to ride up due to the accumulating snow in front of it:(

I did several drives after the storm last year(we got 30+") that did not get hit once during the storm. I found the best way to clear them was actually in the scoop position:D With the plow on the ground, move in, pushing left, then right. Slowly working your way in. In scoop position, the snow would not "push" the front of the truck like it would in straight/angled. Also by inching your way in, you have max. traction because you are clearing to the ground.

Using this technique, I cleared many drives/lanes, that other contractors would not even touch for people without loaders;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have taken and expanded the wings about 3" each side. So if I did get stuck I could retract the wings and be able to back out. This has worked when pushing heavy wet snow.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a qustion for the guys running the V plows (I almost purchased one just because of the scooping capabilities) Anyways I had always thought the main reason for owning a V was for deep snow and making your first run into a property and then you would use it as a regular plow peeling the edges back.

Then I started to think that you could also use it as a backwards V and scoop with it.(the main reason I would have purchased it for) Anyways in 1996 I was going to get one and was told it was too HEAVY for my truck (1997 F150 exstended cab lariet And my truck was too LIGHT to handel a pusher/scoop so I passed on it then )

This year I replaced the ford with a chevy and was going to get one but again the weight came up along with the price and again the dealer explained to me the main purpose of this plow is to open up things in heavey/deap snow and once your in you use it as a regular plow.I am sure the dealer would have better served himself to sell me the biggest and most exspencive plow he could have but he advicsed me not to get the V for the purpose I was using it for

Now since I am new to this site I have been poking around veiwing all the people webs sites and I see guys are using these more as scoops/pushers then the normal V's I would exspect to see.I see pictures in wide open lots that even if I had a V set up I would be using the plow in a regular angle position.

So I guess I am just wondering why are guys buying these V set ups is it only for the scoop/pusher therory? And they have no intrest in the V portion of the plow?

I just purchased a set of turkey wings so I can scoop out an area of a property I plow.

But why do I see so many V's around.

Cons
More exspencive
heavyer
more complecated to operate
more to brake down
did I allready say more exspencive?

What are the pros to having them?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I have plowed many long drives with ver 18"+ of snow in the v plow wih no real problems. The only time I have had a problem is after a few storms and the snow cant roll off the plow. At that time you need to revert back to what Greg metioned.
Dino

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
This is the main reason I purchased a vplow ( ex.Here and here ) but they also do well in larger lots such as this one but not quite as efficient as a blizzard in my experience.

As far as your dealer having a problem with installing it on your truck that is one of the things you have to consider when purchasing a vehicle and a plow. I was told my truck was not able to carry it but after installing it with the help of friends and installing some air bags it carries it without any trouble. Your seeing so many v around due to poeple finally catching on to its efficency :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
JD PLOWER said:
This is the main reason I purchased a vplow ( ex.Here and here ) but they also do well in larger lots such as this one but not quite as efficient as a blizzard in my experience.

As far as your dealer having a problem with installing it on your truck that is one of the things you have to consider when purchasing a vehicle and a plow. I was told my truck was not able to carry it but after installing it with the help of friends and installing some air bags it carries it without any trouble. Your seeing so many v around due to poeple finally catching on to its efficency :D
Thanks JD I had spent some time going thru your photo albums also (ps me and my son enjoyed looking at the photos)

So you purchased for the scooping effect

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Ih82plow,

Used a Western MVP for several years on a couple of Fords. Worked well for busting open some of the longer winding drives I had and yes I did get stuck when trying to back up because the 8.6 in V is only about 7.6 and the snow rolled back in the track just pushed.

Did several things to help the problem.

The first was mentioned by sdpsd99 . Go to full V and then open back up a little. You can really get amazingly close to the straight blade and still deflect to both sides but this requires more traction ( read tires and chains in heavy snow ) and horsepower :burnout due to the snow load as dino posted.

The second thing was to add a set of pro wings to the blade to increase the width and if stuck or overloaded pull them off and back up through the wider lane.

Personally if I was still using a V plow I would be adding a sidewing to the truck to clear wider in the first pass.

I went to a Blizzard due to the scoop feature holding more snow in a wider pass and added a wing with it. Both to the right for discharge and I can go through quite a bit of snow without the truck pushing to the side.

Jerre

·
Registered
309 Posts
ih82plow said:
So I guess I am just wondering why are guys buying these V set ups is it only for the scoop/pusher therory? And they have no intrest in the V portion of the plow?

ih82plow,

About the only time my plow is in Vee is when I'm carrying it down the road:eek:

It's advantage for me is it's flexibility between straight and scoop:D

Besides, you can't do this in the Vee position:grinz

to give it some perspective, the hood of my truck is 5'2" off the ground;)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts