Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the game is on... Full story to follow- with pics-

This is just a little tease... almost time for a Pepsi, then I can sit down and share.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't take any pics of the stock batteries in place- I'm assuming that most anyone who might look at this thread knows what that looks like!

First picture is of the passenger-side, taken facing the center of the truck. The difficult part here was making enough room to get the battery low enough. The rub came at the bracket holding the radiator puke tank. It's the body-color brace that's holding the puke tank and the washer fluid bottle.

Second picture is the mocked up tray for the passenger side- taken from the front of the truck. Here you can see how the offending brace was removed, reshaped, and reattached to the end of the fabbed tray. The puke tank had to be moved over about an inch to accomodate the battery. There was plenty of play in the top mount of the tank to simply loosen the bolt and slide it over. You can slo see in this picture how part of the factory tray was re-used. We cut the fender bracket off the stock tray an re-attached it to the fabbed tray. The final mount point is the 2" flat stock underneath the tray. It keeps the tray from sagging in the back, and adds rigidity to the whole deal. Stock hardware/clip nuts were used to re-attach the new bracket to existing holes. The front of the tray rests on the red bracket.

Third pic is BDB's best angle- behind a mask!!! :weld :rolling

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First- Finished and installed tray- hold-down tabs have been added, the piece has been primed and painted.

Second- Fender-end of the tray.

Third- Close-up of the hold-down tab with the j-hook installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next we have the driver's side...

First pic is of the empty battery well. Photo is taken from the front of the truck. The challenge here is going to be supporting the inboard rear corner of the tray. I can't run a support all the way across the center like on the passenger side, as there are brake lines attached to that brace. I also have to be careful about how I attach the center support because of those brake lines. The plug/cover is kinda covering up that area in this picture.

Second pic is the installed tray- you can see how the front of the tray is bolted to the factory brace, but the lines are in the way of coming all the way across with a flat stock brace. I used a carriage bolt in the shortened 2" flat stock brace to avoid any contact with the brake lines. This brace along with the fenderwell bracket provided enough stability for the inboard rear corner of the tray. The tray itself is pretty rigid- 1"x1/8" angle.

Third pic is the fender end mount. It is made from 2"x1/8" flat stock, bent twice to match the contour of the tray and the fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First pic is of the driver-side tray installed, from above. It doesn't really look like it, but it clears the intercooler tube by better than an inch.

Installation, at last!! Second pic is passenger side, installed. I cut the post clamps off the stock negative cable and drilled it to fit the screw-on post. The stock cable to the starter is HUGE 3/0 cable, and terminates in a plastic enclosed mess, so we had to reterminate the positive cables on this side. Solder and tape. The stock insulating covers were cobbled back on- still looking for something better. The blue sleeving is covering a line that feeds my inverter, strobes, beacon, CB, etc.

Third pic is Driver-side installed. There's alot going on here- I relocated the plow solenoid to a vertical position per jerre's recommendations. I was able to shorten up the cable from the soleniod going out to the plow, and added a 1/0 cable to feed the solenoid. On this side, both the positive and negative stock cables were trimmed and drilled, and a 2ga cable was added directly to the charge post on the alternator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the final, everything's-in-and-done picture.

My only concession was to put in a Napa-nator in place of the leece-neville I wanted. Snow is threatening for this week and I can't sleep if my truck is in pieces. So, against all counsel, just snatched an alternator from napa, hopefully it'll work long enough for me to engineer something better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Derek,that looks excellent.Very nice work. Now if you lose the alt,you'll be able to plow for quite a while on just the batterys.:drinkup. Everything in the truck should work better now,cold starting should be a breeze too.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Nice work Derek.You will be happy with the big batteries.

The stock alternator will probably be OK with the big reserve capacity you have now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
EZSnow said:
Third pic is BDB's best angle- behind a mask!!! :weld :rolling

We got your best angle as well - behind the camera!:salute

All in all it was an easy project. The way all Super Duty's should have come off the line. But ya know if Ford did it right the first time what would we have to do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts