Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Never had them but they look like they'd probably do ok for the first season or so til the edges wear off. They look similar to the BFG Radial T/A with added siping. I had a set of GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armors 265-75-16 that did great for the first 2 years (almost 40k, IIRC).

What size are you considering?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plow with these tires and absolutely they have been the best upgrade I have done aside from changing from a straight plow to a Blizzard powerplow. Liked them so much we equipped the other two trucks with them as well. 20" tire on a 08 F350 diesel CC longbox and they just don't quit.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have them on my 2005 f250, this is my first winter with them but so far i love them! I previously had the Silent Armors. imo the duratracs blow them out of the water.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I put a set on my foreman's bush truck - 2008 F150. They are initially a good tire in the snow, but when the edges get rounded off, they become a liability. And this truck wasn't plowing, just running the logging jobs. That truck went down the road this fall, and I replaced the stock tires with BFG Radial All-Terrain. They are better for our snow conditions and should still hold up pretty well on the gravel in the summer.

The driver's other comment was that they wear fast.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Like any new tire, they work great when new. They have an aggressive outer tread pattern, which I suspect earns them many sales to guys that are mostly interested in cool looks. For similar money, you can have Michelin LTX M/S.

No contest.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You could look at the Goodyear Wrangler Authority. They are exclsuive to Walmart, but are based off of the Duratracs. They are a little cheaper. At first I was very hesitant about getting them because thinking they were exclusive to Walmart, they would lack quality. I called Goodyear and asked about them and they said they are built the same, if not better than the Duratrac and all warranties apply to them.

I've had them for 2 years now and they have been great tires. My truck ran through a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's very quickly. Have not had a single problem with these tires and beat the Dueler's hands down. It took a bit of trying to figure out the sweet spot for amount of ballast to use, but now with it dialed in they are great in the snow. Good smooth ride, great cornering on dry pavement. Only thing I see as a drawback is they do get the "beefy tire hum" at 70mph on the highway. But they are no where near as loud as running a set of BFG M/Ts. I would recommend them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just installed a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT's and they are the best snow tires that I have ever had. I have always wondered why more people on this forum don't favor a dedicated ice and snow tire, is it the cost?

·
Registered
748 Posts
I just installed a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT's and they are the best snow tires that I have ever had. I have always wondered why more people on this forum don't favor a dedicated ice and snow tire, is it the cost?
I'm a huge fan of dedicated snows. Have had fantastic results with the Mastercraft MSRs. Would love to try a set of Hakks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my truck. They are great in the snow, but the ride they give the rest of the year sucks in my opinion, and the 2 fronts are not wearing correctly and are getting choppy looking. These will be the last Goodyear tire I buy. Next I will probably get the Cooper Discoverer ATR's, unless I see somethign better when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Forgot to say that I dont have a second set of rims, so no dedicated snow tires for me, thats why I need/want something that is good in the snow AND gives a decent ride the rest of the year too. With Goodyear is seems they are good in the snow, but they give a "lumpy" ride. Feels like you are riding on 4 tires that are ever so slightly out of round, not that they are, but you know what I mean.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i would like to get a second set of rims and run a good set of winter tires but the only thing holding me up is here in the winter there are times that the roads are perfectly clear. We will go for 1 to 2 weeks with no snow at all, so i end up driving 75 or so, which will wear out winter tires real quick.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
I have the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors on my truck. They are great in the snow, but the ride they give the rest of the year sucks in my opinion, and the 2 fronts are not wearing correctly and are getting choppy looking. These will be the last Goodyear tire I buy. Next I will probably get the Cooper Discoverer ATR's, unless I see somethign better when the time comes.
The Chop is coming from your truck, not the tire. i run them on 4 trucks and they wear dead flat on the surface and we get about 40K out of them. Have your truck aligned and rotate them every 6-10K

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
CGSI, I did think of that and you could be right, but the original crap Continentals did not wear like this. They wore perfectly fine. Also, I remember Fred saying a long time ago that Goodyear tires do not wear correctly no matter how much you rotate them or balance them, because of the way they are made.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
CGSI, I did think of that and you could be right, but the original crap Continentals did not wear like this. They wore perfectly fine. Also, I remember Fred saying a long time ago that Goodyear tires do not wear correctly no matter how much you rotate them or balance them, because of the way they are made.
Maybe I have just been lucky but all i know is what i see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i would like to get a second set of rims and run a good set of winter tires but the only thing holding me up is here in the winter there are times that the roads are perfectly clear. We will go for 1 to 2 weeks with no snow at all, so i end up driving 75 or so, which will wear out winter tires real quick.
That makes sense and good snow tires tend to be very expensive. I found a set of new "take off" wheels on ebay for approximately $280 for a set of four. "Take offs" are when someone buys a new truck and they trade with another truck on the lot for better looking wheels. The people I bought them from specialize in that apparently, maybe they sell them for Fords and Dodges as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
After this last weeks blizzard, and trying to move 2' of snow, I would say it comes down to what you normally plow. Generally, a good all season is all it takes around here to move snow adiquately. But when the heavy stuff came down, not haveing dedicated snow tires really hurt. The one F250 was really slowed down, and the one Blazer that still had all season tires was all but useless. Even though we don't normally get these large snowfalls, I will be equipping all the trucks with dedicated snow tires, just in case. Just makeing sure we are ready.

Yes, winter tires do wear out more quickly, but you are so much safer, more productive, more reliable that I would highly recommend them. Figure rourghly four years of service with regular winter driving. That's only $150 a year in tire expense. Pretty cheap price for reliability, safety, and productivity.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts