Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've broken this mount on every GM I've owned, all were repaired under warranty with my other trucks,but I bought the 01 2500 Silverado used 4 years ago. The upper front differential mount will break if you are plowing a lot and you have a heavy plow. This truck usually carries the XLS.
Some symptoms, a chunk on the drivers side when going from forward to reverse in 4X4, the drivers side CV shaft fails, in jumps out of 4X4. Also check for oil seepage on the front diff, and check the bolts that hold the right side axle carrier, plowing tends to back them off.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the post. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing where this is. Maybe a pic from further back with an arrow. I'll be looking all over the diff mount today. I am curious why the weight of the plow is a factor on the IFS. The diff center section doesn't carry any weight at all....

·
Registered
432 Posts
I thinks its the axle torque or the computer welding machine weld doesn't penetrate . you can look inside the frame rail at the mount there is a ear inside the frame. The ear will crack right off.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The failure is caused by torque on the mounts from turning the wheels, in 4x4. The heavier the plow the more stress on diff mount.
This mount is just behind the steering box and in front of the engine mount.

The original mount has 3 welds about 2" long each, one on the top and one on each side so over half the mounting surface isn't welded to the frame to begin with.

When we got the diff out we also found that the right axle tube was cracked, and the right axle seal gone, with the mount broken, a lot of extra stress is put on the axle tube causing it to crack. replaced it and the seal, welded the mount back on and made it stronger, the what GM should have in the first place.

Interesting to see what upgrades they do to the new 2011 with the new 6000# axle.

Bill

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The failure is caused by torque on the mounts from turning the wheels, in 4x4. The heavier the plow the more stress on diff mount.
This mount is just behind the steering box and in front of the engine mount.

The original mount has 3 welds about 2" long each, one on the top and one on each side so over half the mounting surface isn't welded to the frame to begin with.

When we got the diff out we also found that the right axle tube was cracked, and the right axle seal gone, with the mount broken, a lot of extra stress is put on the axle tube causing it to crack. replaced it and the seal, welded the mount back on and made it stronger, the what GM should have in the first place.

Interesting to see what upgrades they do to the new 2011 with the new 6000# axle.

Bill

It will surprise me if they do have a 6000lb front end, where did you see this news?

·
Registered
46 Posts
just did this repair on my 05 today, just wondering if they (GM) has fixed this at all on the new trucks?
We repaired our 05 3500 this week as well, same issue. After we got it back we installed timbrens and installed a push bar. The push bar at the recommendation of our dealer. This should transfer a significant amount of the "push" to the frame. Our 08 3500 has the beginnings of a fracture at the diff mount and will be attended to soon. I am not sure about our 2012 2500.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts