Snowplow Forums banner

Getting ready for rain

Tags
gravel rain
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Dewey 
#1 ·
Just curious if any of you have accounts that need special attention when heavy rain is coming. This is compounded with recent heavy snow so the windrows are thick and tall.

I have three I do. Gravel roads, 1/4 to 1/2 mile long. The big factor is they are sloped roads. I went out tonight to punch some holes every so often along the edges to let the water get off the gravel and into the ditch or over the banking. I get the truck at as much of an angle as possible, put the plow in a dog leg, an push slowly till the leading front tire starts to drop in the ditch. Back up and move along 50-100 feet. I plow uphill, so the truck will come out of the ditch no problem.

Had the first one just about done. Went to make one pass up the drive to clean things up. Got sucked in to a pretty steep ditch, both tires. The snow was up to the top of the bed, truck in tight to it. Would have taken an hour to dig it out, and it was raining. Had to call the wrecker.

Second time this year.:headwall:headwall

I said to heck with it for the other two. Roads were already getting messy, and the gravel was getting very icy. State Police have actually asked people to not drive. Hopefully the ground is frozen enough to not wash out.

Wondering how many of you do this kind of thing.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I dont plow a whole lot of drives, but I will go out and open up spots on some of my lots that are problem areas with heavy rain and ponding. It doesnt take much time, and now that temps are down below freezing again I dont have to worry about ice rinks in flooded areas.

#5 ·
the road to my place is 1/2 a mile I did that yesterday also... But the roads I plow I didn't I guess I figure I'll deal with any ice if there is some... I think there was enough frost that sides of roads shouldn't wash out much... gonna go check out mine soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.